1. Less than a week to support David Tuller's work. To donate click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 19th October 2020 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Importance of fatigue and its measurement in chronic liver disease - Gerber et al Jul 28 2019

Discussion in 'Health News and Research unrelated to ME/CFS' started by Sly Saint, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Opinion Piece

Abstract
    seemed well thought out... until the last bit
    open access
    https://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/full/v25/i28/3669.htm

MSEsperanza, Esther12, Andy and 5 others like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Central fatigue is characterized by a lack of self-motivation and can manifest both in physical and mental activities. Peripheral fatigue is classically manifested by neuromuscular dysfunction and muscle weakness. Therefore, the distinction is often seen as a difference between intention (central fatigue) versus ability (peripheral fatigue). "

That is interesting to know how they are thinking. It is another one of those things where they decide what we are thinking without ever asking. My self motivation has always been fine, it's just that I end up lying on the floor if I don't stop what I am doing. (A common occurrence when I had to do this for the kids)

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I'm aware, lack of self-motivation is characterized by lack of self-motivation and fatigue is characterized by fatigue. Those words already have a standard meaning. This is a definition that fundamentally differs from what is commonly understood by fatigue. Of course this redefinition is rather common but, still, words matter. I'm not sure it's worth reading further than that when the central topic being discussed is arbitrarily redefined.

The "central" part seems to try and do a lot of work, whatever is meant by that (likely CSS). Central heating does not suddenly about noise, plumbing or some entirely different definition of the word heating. Doublespeak has no place in medical research. Just say what you mean, deceit is dishonorable and unethical.