1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to create good quality research proposals?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Jonathan Edwards, Jun 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A few years ago, the NIH had a big colloquium on ME/CFS and there were big hopes around it. People were disappointed at the lack of follow-through, but clearly the format exists and could be done better.

ladycatlover, Inara, Simone and 2 others like this.
  2. Sasha

I think that any working group needs to look at all the things that need to be done to get us where we need to go - improving the MRC's reviewer pool, coming up with a list of key projects, drawing in key people - everything. And then do what we can and, if necessary, try to get other entities (e.g. charities) involved if individual projects are outside our own scope.

But we're unhampered by the politics that affect the charities and may be able to do things that they can't do.

3. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

I think Michael VanElzakker was trying to gather funding for a study similar to the Japanese one (but a bit different from what I gather). Does someone have better information?

https://twitter.com/user/status/956625486519685121

ladycatlover, Inara, Simone and 4 others like this.
  4. Sasha

I'm interested. :)

janice likes this.
  5. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

That would be a great idea!

Skycloud, janice and Trish like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

would be great to know people with science brains and knowledge from S4ME were putting their heads together on this :thumbup:

7. janice

janice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I understand that the US has funded various studies at LSHTM with Prof Nacul and Cliffe over quite a few years now. They have got another dollop which is such great news. :thumbup:

Why don't our government/ funding organisations add to this so that well defined cohorts and cross nation collaborations can steam ahead for replication studies on all those areas JE mentioned?

8. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting discussion.

Back in the world I was at one time responsible for a research programme looking at skills needs in the labour market. It was a first for the region but we could obviously draw on what had been done already in the rest of the UK and in other regions.

What we came up with was a large scale survey looking at current skills needs in companies and in parallel commissioned academics to project/model future skills needs in key industrial sectors.

While the current/future aspect has little relevance to the ME/CFS field it's likely that some sort of across the piste v specific areas of interest research strategy would be mutually reinforcing?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  9. Sasha

What? What??? :)

10. Marco

All will be revealed - loose finger:facepalm:

11. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well,spit it out then :nerd:

ladycatlover, NelliePledge and janice like this.
  12. arewenearlythereyet

Is it a burlesque dancer from Belize?:rolleyes:

ladycatlover, NelliePledge and janice like this.
  13. Marco

I'm intrigued?

14. arewenearlythereyet

Oh well doing research will have to do. It sounds more useful for this discussion than my idea.

I did research a long time ago too ..mainly lab based biochemistry. My research studies were only published in the institute where I worked and weren’t particularly interesting ...I can review papers and get to the facts quite quickly (when not fogged). Not sure how much use this is though.

I like the idea of a S4ME research survey though and has my full support :)

15. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am a qualified, experienced veterinary surgeon, which does not seem particularly relevant but have (para)medical knowledge and am well used to reading and analysing research publications. I would be delighted to assist in any way I can but it might be limited by my fairly severe cognitive issues right now.:ill:

16. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can research groups from abroad apply for a grant from MRC?

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

A quick skim through the MRC website suggests that most grants will only be available to UK researchers, though I'm happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable folks.

ladycatlover and Inara like this.
  18. Inara

I think this is a promising idea. I also think that it should be looked at older publications as well.

ladycatlover, Sean and Cheshire like this.
  19. Inara

I just had a thought: What about some kind of meta-analysis of publications starting from 1930 to today and making a "ranking" (from high quality to lower quality, from interesting to less interesting) and thus identifying future research topics? Could also be a masters thesis or even a PhD (this I don't know; in Maths and (theoretical) Physics it wouldn't suffice).

ladycatlover likes this.
  20. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)