1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How many hours of sleep a night do you need? - Now with Poll

Discussion in 'Sleep Disturbance' started by Alvin, Mar 3, 2018.

Tags:
?

How many hours a night of sleep do you need to function best on average?

1. Under 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 6-7

11.9%
  3. 7-8

15.3%
  4. 8-9

40.7%
  5. 9-10

28.8%
  6. 10-11

16.9%
  7. 11-12

1.7%
  8. 12-13

1.7%
  9. 13+

1.7%
  10. I nap during the day as well

27.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, @Alvin and @MarcNotMark, for the info on these studies. I'll check this subject out further soon.

alktipping, Alvin and MarcNotMark like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

I take NAC too (Jarrow extended release) and it makes a big difference in my ability to fall asleep and stay asleep. Basically it seems to shut down the "wired" phenomenon. The wiredness can get unpleasant during the day as well, so I also take it three times per day.

alktipping, MErmaid, Alvin and 2 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is the sustained NAC 600mg best?

alktipping likes this.
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

That's been my experience. NAC has a short half-life, so sustained release is useful in that regard.

alktipping, Alvin and Mij like this.
  5. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I need at least 10 hours.

alktipping and Alvin like this.
  6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, NelliePledge and Alvin like this.
  7. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is very good to know, i'll try to get some. :)

Does anyone know how NAC works for sleep?

alktipping likes this.
  8. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

I take NAC also, Jarrow (not the extended release). I don’t respond well to Melatonin, so don’t take it.

alktipping, NelliePledge and Alvin like this.
  9. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

I don’t know how it works for sleep. I take it to gain more energy, in the morning, so I can get more things done during the day. If I get more things done, then I feel better about myself, which allows me to feel more relaxed at night.

It’s a possibility that it may work differently for some of us. I always think hetero when viewing ME.

alktipping and Alvin like this.
  10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I have been taking small dose of melatonin for almost 3 months now and I’m finding it pretty good I mistakenly ordered a non decaf coffee yesterday lunchtime and with melatonin was able to get to sleep around 2am whereas normally I would have been awake till 5 or 6. I hope it stays working like this

alktipping, Alvin and MErmaid like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone use CBD for sleep?

12. Mij

I'm starting NAC today. Do we take this on an empty stomach? I'm reading contradictory instructions.

thx

alktipping likes this.
  13. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take so many pills of various kinds that I just take them together three times a day: 10:15 am, 3:30 pm, and 9:30 pm. I've never paid much attention to whether my stomach is empty or not, but it must be--relatively so--at these time.

Sorry I can't be more precise. Good luck with the NAC! I hope it helps. :) I'll be interested to hear back.

alktipping and Mij like this.
  14. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bit late to this thread.

I sleep 6-7 hrs but a quarter of the time is 5.5. I can’t find any rhyme nor reason for why I sleep better than other days other than if I’ve been outside or been able to walk a bit then I tend to sleep better. My deep sleep phase is extremely variable. I don’t necessarily feel better with more sleep and I don’t sleep in the day. I get a bit wired in the evening but this is manageable for me with Epsom salt spray and baths. It doesn’t seem to affect the amount or quality of sleep though, just how easy I go off.

alktipping, Trish and Alvin like this.
  15. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take it on an empty stomach, as it is very acidic and can cause some upset when taken with food. No problem on its own or with a couple of other supplements:)

alktipping and Mij like this.
  16. Mij

@andypants the bottle says to take it with food but I've taken it on an empty stomach with no issues so far. I read that if taken with food it will compete with other amino acids. My time release NAC includes R+ALA.

alktipping and andypants like this.
  17. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ok. It's stupid o'clock in the morning and I am wide awake. I was told not to take melatonin continuously or it stops working. To be honest, even when it is working it just helps, not a magic cure. Right now I'm on a melatonin break.

I just ordered some of this Jarrow sustained release NAC. I really hope works...

I think the optimum amount of sleep for me is about 7 hours. I rarely manage it. Like everyone else even if I get that much sleep I still feel awful. Just that's the optimum awful.

MeSci, Indigophoton, Mij and 5 others like this.
  18. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I "need" about 10 ish hours. I very rarely get this, more often getting around 4-5 hours of disturbed and broken sleep. With 7 hours I can feel okay (it's all relative) but with a few more hours I can feel okay and weight starts to drop off (if I've not got "enough" sleep the previous night I tend to be freezing and range from hungry to ravenous, until I do).

19. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since its used by our bodies everyday all of our lives its very unlikely it will just stop working.
    Also we may have a shortage of endogenous melatonin because its creation pathway includes Acetyl Coenzyme A which is downstream of pyruvate dehydrogenase (what the Fluge, Mella paper said we are under producing).
    If it works for you keep taking it, just keep the dose at around 1mg which is the amount our body would produce instead of overloading with the 3-10mg tablets that many places sell (research has shown too much to have residual effects).
    I've been on it for over 10 years, its still working for me.

Sarah94, alktipping, Skycloud and 2 others like this.
  20. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So I've gone from 8-9 hours a night on antihistamines to 7-8 on amitriptyline. I feel better this way. I've noticed my sleep pattern is better too. It has more even waves of deep sleep, whereas before it was big chunks of light sleep with a few thinner chunks of deep sleep.

alktipping, Skycloud, Trish and 3 others like this.