1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How many hours of sleep a night do you need? - Now with Poll

Discussion in 'Sleep Disturbance' started by Alvin, Mar 3, 2018.

Tags:
?

How many hours a night of sleep do you need to function best on average?

1. Under 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 6-7

11.9%
  3. 7-8

15.3%
  4. 8-9

40.7%
  5. 9-10

28.8%
  6. 10-11

16.9%
  7. 11-12

1.7%
  8. 12-13

1.7%
  9. 13+

1.7%
  10. I nap during the day as well

27.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Low thyroid hormone levels, particularly low T3, can prevent dreaming, or will dramatically increase the chance that any dreams are actually nightmares. (Based on my own experience, and anecdotal reports from others with hypothyroidism.)

2. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If it's true that most people with ME have low or low normal T3, even without thyroid issues, could this be why a common symptom is frequent nightmares/intense dreams?

Edited for clarity.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had many thyroid tests done before i was diagnosed, they never revealed much, though since then i have learned to get the results myself instead of assuming the doctor will interpret them correctly (which i didn't do back then). Perhaps i should try to get them redone?

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We can get our lab results online now. From past experiences I learnt that my GP assumes that everything 'in range' is normal.

My ferritin and B12 were down so low years ago but she never suggested supplementing. I had terrible symptoms. She doesn't check my free T3 (only TSH).

When I was seeing my functional integrative doctor (he's retired) my free T3 at one time was below normal so took synthroid but didn't feel better after 3 months so discontinued. One year later I was tested over and over and my free T3 stayed within normal range.

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our bodies demands for thyroid hormones can fluctuate a fair bit. Not as much as, say insulin, but a lot more than a lot of docs seem to understand. According to my endocrinologist anyway.

I've noticed that I sometimes need to reduce my dose slightly in summer and increase in winter. Of course the timing of sunrise and sunset change too and that will have it's own affect.

6. Klabautermann

Klabautermann Established Member (Voting Rights)

Generally 8-9 (solid - no getting up in the middle of the night). During rough periods 9-10.

MeSci likes this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My natural uninterrupted sleep length is around 11-12 hours.

MeSci, FMMM1, Arnie Pye and 1 other person like this.
  8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If thyroid problems are related to ME/CFS then I'd expect to see this turning up in the GWAS (Chris Ponting's) study. Don't know if you'd expect T3 (thyroid function) to be low due to sedentary lifestyle?

andypants and Trish like this.