1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Higher prevalence of ‘low T3 syndrome’ in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: A case-control study (2018) Ruiz-Núñez et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Cheshire, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will have to read the blog if I can summon the energy. But the second sentence is a non-sequitur. Dr Bateman stated that a third of ME/CFS patients are hypothyroid because their tests showed it. I presume this relates to a paper or at least a study that we saw about two years ago.

Where practices of ME and fibromyalgia doctors diverge tends to be where they play around without any reliable evidence.

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't read the Health rising thing.

My thyroid tests are all in 'range', including one that isn't done in the UK.

However when entered into SPINA-THR (I think that was it) they strongly suggested thyroid hormone resistance (one of the SPINA results was about 100 times the top of range), and something else that I never understood so can't remember.

Could be a problem, might not be, I've been unable to clarify the whole SPINA things validity. It might explain a few things, but the NHS doesn't accept such analyses, despite TSH apparently being one itself. Very little point in talking to my doctor about it as the NHS doesn't seem to 'know' about thyroid hormone resistance.

I've no idea if it's a real thing, like insulin resistance, or not.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Mij, Amw66 and andypants like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My free T3 drops below normal when I'm in PEM and relapse state.

MEMarge likes this.