1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Guideline "Tiredness" by DEGAM

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Inara, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

They say it's completely shit. Some of them are unable to work and have finally decided to stop fighting and accepted a diagnosis of depression and been on a rehab (Kur) just to get half a pension. The woman from the film "In Engen Grenzen" is in my group, the Kur nearly killed her. There's the mother of a woman who was treated so abusively in a psychiatric institution that she spent the first few weeks home lying in bed unable to move except for occasionally screaming, which her parents had to listen to. I wrote about it in my blog on PR. Then some people talk about their court cases and the psychosomatic expert witnesses they'll be up against. Then a few of us go for a meal, order salads and water, and pretend to the waitress that we're a weightwatchers group. It's usually quite a laugh.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Hutan, MSEsperanza, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

Hutan, MSEsperanza, Joh and 1 other person like this.
  3. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, @TiredSam, very interesting and helpful. Would you say those people would get active, i.e. do some advocacy? If some people suggest amygdala retraining, do they believe ME is psychosomatic?

Thanks for the link, wanted to ask for it :)

Edit: Ah, I've already read your blog in the past!

MSEsperanza and TiredSam like this.
  4. TiredSam

They are a very mixed bunch, and just making it to the meeting is too much for some of them. A couple of them have been to fatigatio conferences.

Here's a bit of local activism when a father decided to get up and do something:

https://www.rnz.de/nachrichten/metr...erkaeltung-hat-alles-angefa-_arid,303679.html

Don't know what happened about that. A few people alerted me to the article at the time, and I was very touched when a friend of mine got hold of a form and went round the village collecting signatures on my behalf. I didn't even ask him to, he just did it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  5. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you know that person? Would you say it's reasonable/helpful to invite him to s4me?

Yes, I know. I did this, too. But after trying lots of things - amygdala retraining excluded; even when I was a "believer" that sounded...too strange - I decided only to try things that have a factual basis. At some point of experimenting people have to understand it's only a waste of money, don't they?

TiredSam and Joh like this.
  6. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He's very active and still on tour. If you check out the Deutsche Gesellschaft Facebook page, there are also videos, they did a protest in Berlin together (you don't need to have a Facebook account to watch the videos). His Facebook group is "50.000 und eine Stimme" or so I believe. I have the form to print out and collect signatures somewhere and could look for it. You can't sign online. (You can also invite him to your city.)

Inara and TiredSam like this.
  7. Joh

Your blog was such a great read! I'm still in suspense what happens next and remember something about two last parts that were supposed to follow. :)

Your friend sounds awesome!

That sounds amazing and funny! I'm so envious and still haven't met a pwME in real life. Actually two groups were founded during the last six months in a radius of 100 km, so I just need to get better and could attend them. Haven't been out apart from doctor visits in 19 months and going out to have a salad sounds like the craziest and most wonderful exciting social life. :)

I remember her, thanks for sharing about your group, very interesting!

Inara and TiredSam like this.
  8. Joh

Great new 2-minute TV segment about Mathias Ilka (besides the "CE" and "very rare" that the Hessischer Rundfunk sprinkled in). Prof. Scheibenbogen is also interviewed: http://www.hessenschau.de/tv-sendung/video-55574.html

ETA: "CE" has now been changed into "CFS" and the "very rare" is changed in "unknown" in the title (but still in the text). It's great to see that it often works to ask for changes (some people wrote them).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Inara, mari_gold, MSEsperanza and 2 others like this.