1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardian - Mental health services in crisis are abandoning patients to meet targets May 2019

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, May 17, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Recovery in the Bin
    full article here
    https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-vulnerable-off-rolled?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, I see that IAPT is going splendidly well. The one trick to meet that absurd 50% "recovery" target: redefine "recovery" as "whatever" and kick off people who won't meet it. Genius!

Who could have predicted that overloading mental health services with people whose primary needs are medical care would be a bad idea? Surely no one. Well, no one who was listened to anyway. Good job, Simon. You truly are "too smart" to be a psychiatrist.

Other controversial predictions include: hot stoves are hot and unpleasant to touch, having sick people yelling at their symptoms is ridiculously unprofessional, depriving sick people of basic medical and social care is bad. Best of all: my predictions are free and come with significant long-term savings and economic success.

Pechius, Arnie Pye, Sean and 11 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hopefully this will encourage the MUS empire builders to think again about trying to hijack ME, given we are a patient group where their preferred treatment methods have demonstrably failed.

However I guess this just means the empire builders will keep trying to force us into an inappropriate service which in turn will desperately be trying to discharge us as quickly as possible, leaving even more people lost in a service limbo.

Sean, MEMarge, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  4. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

tick box exercises have always been about been counting and have in my experience led to far worse customer/client satisfaction. It is always politically motivated because of the soundbite effect in mass media . It is possible in an alternative universe that this method actually produces value for money ?

Snowdrop, Andy and MEMarge like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The lesson is those delivering the assessments need to be independent from those delivering the services.

Redefining "recovery" or whatever post-hoc and then claiming you met the pre-defined target is fraud.

6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having a family member involved in this it is a worry. His support has been passed onto a community group which is very good but it is reliant on grants. Too many community groups have had their grants removed and closed.

So the NHS justifies moving patients on because community support is available but when that support is removed, they don't care.

MEMarge, Andy, Cheshire and 1 other person like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have a friend who is struggling emotionally with caring for a spouse with a very difficult and long term illness (not ME). The GP's response was referral to a CBT 'group' of 20 people lectured to in a classroom with a white board. The group include, for example, a youngster who gets anxious about driving lessons, and others with who knows what other random anxieties or depressions.

My friend is now paying privately for counselling.

MEMarge, rvallee, Arnie Pye and 3 others like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@dave30th This thread may be of interest to you if you plan on writing any articles on IAPT.

MEMarge and Andy like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have no idea what people were expecting. None of this can scale up in a meaningful way. Even in the most perfectly controlled circumstances it barely produces a weak, self-reported and thus non-standardized, questionnaire effect and those would be many times more expensive than what it aims to replace. It makes exactly as much sense as deploying an electric grid on direct current, with repeater stations every km, massive power leakage and constant risk of fire. Absurdly naive and promoted by people who clearly have no idea what they're doing.

And yet there is no mental health crisis, the vast majority of those are casual misdiagnoses where perfectly normal behavior in difficult circumstances is pathologized. It's a worthless solution to a made-up problem that carries a huge opportunity cost, as hundreds of millions are wasted rather than being put to good use.

Arnie Pye likes this.