1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Great German radio feature on ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Joh, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(I'm a little late with sharing this as I was very unwell.)

:emoji_headphones: An amazing German radio feature on ME was broadcasted on July 5. :) We don't get many media reports on ME and most talk about tiredness (as the official ICD term is in German "Chronic Tiredness Syndrome"), so that's special.

Ron Davis, José Montoya, Mark Guthridge and Leonard Jason were interviewed (and synchronized). Science journalist Yvonne Maier also interviewed Sonja Kohl from MillionsMissing Deutschland and Sebastian Musch from the German Association for ME/CFS.

The radio feature mentions Unrest, #MillionsMissing, the newest biomedical research (and the metabolic trap theory), that more research funding is needed, that GET is harmful, talks about the horrible German guideline tiredness and about children with ME, stigma and disbelief, suicides... Highly recommended.

The station also published a great article along with the radio feature (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis – when the flu never ends).

Station: Bayerischer Rundfunk, Show: IQ – Wissenschaft und Forschung (IQ – science and research), Title: Jahrelang krank (sick for years)

Link to article and radio feature: https://www.br.de/themen/wissen/me-...syndrom-chronisch-mecfs-grippe-krank-108.html
    (Click in the first picture of the article to listen to the radio feature.)

If you understand German or have friends/family in Germany – it's imo the best German radio feature (or even media report in general?) we've had in German so far (plus on a respected science radio show) and it's great for sharing.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1014898996899340290

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  2. Joh

As the radio feature was so successful it was also broadcasted on another science show on another big German radio station ("Quarks – Wissenschaft und mehr" on WDR 5) on September 18.

It's a shortened version (the original one has 25 minutes and this one 11 minutes). It's not as awesome as the original version (and has "chronic fatigue" and "imaginary" in the title) but it's still really, really good and also includes Davis, Montoya, Guthridge, Sonja from MillionsMissing Germany and Sebastian from the German Association.

"Chronic Fatigue: not an imaginary illness":
    https://www1.wdr.de/mediathek/audio...oepfung-keine-eingebildete-krankheit-100.html

(Edited to delete this sentence: "I feel like they edited some slight doubt into this one, e.g. the original says 'she wasn't healthy' and the new one 'she didn't feel healthy'". --> Just listened to it again and I think I was overly critical, what was unfounded, there's not really cast any doubt, guess just the new title and picture annoyed me.)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  3. Joh

To emphasize the importance, I don't think that international researchers like Davis, Montoya etc. have been interviewed and synchronized (!) for a German media report before.

4. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s great, @Joh :D:emoji_clap: