1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Graded exercise therapy doesn’t restore the ability to work in ME/CFS. Rethinking of a Cochrane review, 2020, Vink & Vink-Niese

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have read the full paper. It is excellent. I think the chief of Cochrane should read it and acknowledge that the Cochrane review should be withdrawn immediately with an apology to people with ME.

2. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't it actually impossible to create reliable evidence that treatments cause harm (at least intentionally) because it would be unethical by definition to do the studies to gather said evidence?

3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not impossible to find it. It's more difficult in some cases than others, but the main problem seems to be that too many doctors and researchers actively avoid looking for it in the first place, due to sexism, politics, and financial conflicts of interest.

4. Mark Vink

Mark Vink Established Member (Voting Rights)

Any properly conducted trial into the effects of a treatment should also record side effects etc to see if the treatment is actually safe or not.

Mithriel, Sean, Sly Saint and 9 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The evidence is being built as we speak. Many post-COVID-19 rehabilitation services are using exertion tests and exercise as treatment with the assumption that it promotes recovery.

Many people will be hurt but this should be the first reliable evidence, beyond overwhelming reports by patients anyway, if even one the teams actually manages to be competent and unbiased.

6. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Winarick, the blundering psychologist referenced throughout this thread reappeared today with some strident commentary about our patient community. Thanks to Tom Kindlon for flagging this on Twitter!

One wonders what compels a healthcare provider to cavalierly toss this out about a marginalized, neglected patient population? Equally telling that several in the mental health field found it hilarious.

Attached Files:

7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I had a peek. He says he has an "interest in schizoid PD", which ironically would seem to be to be one of the most theoretically shaky constructs in the whole psychological pantheon. You should read the things he says about people he believes to have that disorder (aka his client base)! Makes what he says about "CFS" look meek in comparison.