1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Evidence for cardiovascular dysfunction

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by rogerblack, Jul 29, 2020.

1. rogerblack

rogerblack Established Member (Voting Rights)

A note for any of us who notice cardiac symptoms being called out as 'serious' and caused by covid.
    It may be worth calling attentions to these symptoms being part of CFS too, and are another reason to suspect that the various experiences of the 'long tail' of covid may 'just' be CFS, and nothing special to this virus.
    (Apart from a seperate symptom set caused in the very ill by blood clotting and lung capacity issues)

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/internalmedicine/48/21/48_21_1849/_article
    A paper from 2009. Cardiovascular dysfunction with low cardiac output due to a small heart in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome

Electrocardiograms frequently revealed right axis deviation (21%) and severe sinus arrhythmia (34%) suggesting accentuated parasympathetic nervous activity. Small heart shadow (cardiothoracic ratio ≤42%) was noted on the chest roentgenogram in 32 patients (60%). Echocardiographic examination demonstrated low cardiac indexes (<2 L/min/m2) with low stroke volume indexes (<30 mL/m2) due to a small left ventricular chamber in 19 (36%, p<0.05 vs. 8% in 36 controls). None had reduced left ventricular ejection fraction.
    Conclusion Cardiovascular symptoms are common in CFS patients. Cardiac dysfunction with low cardiac output due to small left ventricular chamber may contribute to the development of chronic fatigue as a constitutional factor in a considerable number of CFS patients.

Significant sinus arhythmia here, 30 years on from a disease unlikely to be covid-19. Manifested at the same time as CFS, and remains when I have the severest symptoms.

(This paper has a forum thread here:
    (2009) Cardiovascular Dysfunction with Low Cardiac Output Due to a Small Heart in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Miwa et al)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2021
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't quite remember the details but the NIH did a study which showed cardiac problems in ME/CFS. A second study by Natelson was started but the results were never published. As a community we were left with the knowledge we may have cardiac problems but all research was dropped!

Dr Cheney looked at his patients and said they all had signs of diastolic heart failure.

In the early 80s it was said that people with ME were dying of heart problems by forcing themselves to exercise but it was never put down to ME. A UK MP was told to exercise and died of a heart attack using the House of Commons gym.

A neglected aspect of ME one way or the other.

Philipp, EzzieD, sebaaa and 6 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Philipp, rogerblack and 8 others like this.
  5. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was another study that found radial wall thickening among other things and I tentatively linked it to Complex V dysfunction found by Fisher et al in this
    Post : https://www.s4me.info/threads/an-is...ssailidis-et-al-2019.11121/page-3#post-203091
    EDIT : I just realised that this is the same paper as posted above by @Sly Saint

Hutan, Philipp, rogerblack and 2 others like this.