1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Event, Newry, N. Ireland: Dr. Jonathan Kerr: ME/CFS Subtypes & Targeted Effective Treatments

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by John Mac, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am basing what I say on the assumption that we do not know that viruses are reactivated in ME. All the research I have seen in the last five years suggests that viral reactivation is not a significant factor. I am not impressed that there is any older evidence that is convincing either. There have also been trials with anti-vitals in ME and my memory is that initially there was an apparent response that on formal testing turned out to be a placebo response.

Certainly anti-vitals should be used where reactivation is established with viruses such as varicella-zoster or Herpes simplex.

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The reference to autoimmune disease was I think a complete red herring. There is no good reason to think EBV is involved in conditions like RA. I am afraid this sounded like a tired repeat of stuff we used to hear all the time in the 1980s and turned out to be groundless.

merylg, JoanneS, Webdog and 4 others like this.
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get the feeling this is a "consensus" theory, they took every theory they could find and combined them to come up with a grand theory
    I am very much reminded of this Simpsons clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNpmJVa10PU

4. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have not been able to watch the talk, but on the basis of the comments here it does not sound as if this talk advanced things.

I must admit that I am desperately discouraged these days that the research has not yet yielded what’s required to give folks an acceptable life. I had hoped the metabolic trap would yield something and things are now quiet on that front. However, who knows what is going on behind the scene. And Dr Kerr who is balm to the soul has not, it seems, been able to come close to cracking this either.

Any good news out there?

Lidia, ladycatlover and Webdog like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

There was an interesting sounding section on genes but the detail was beyond me and I couldn't see the graphs properly, so I didn't comment on it!
    Maybe someone who understood it better could explain it. I think it was based on his own research, which is presumably amongst the papers listed in MEpedia. https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Kerr

MEMarge likes this.
  6. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants and MEMarge like this.