1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Esther Crawley (2019) Physical activity patterns among children and adolescents with mild-to-moderate CFS / ME [baseline accelerometer MAGENTA data]

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, Apr 18, 2019.

1. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hope this isn't off topic but my recent experience definitely refutes this. I know we all know already it was nonsense from the outset!

Over the last month or so there has been a definite upswing in my health, (which weirdly is following a similar time frame to my previous milder illness). As before it feels like something has 'switched off'. I'm nowhere near active and healthy but feel much better than before. My step counter that I wear all the time has shown a clear change to support this. The orange columns are days when I managed >1000 steps. They were rare events previously but as you can see the most recent 4 weeks show a massive change. These are the only sorts of results that can be trusted.

The days when I barely did any steps are when my bracelet was charging or I forgot to put it back on.

Attached Files:

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, the blood thing is a bit too on the nose as this lot has pools of blood on their hands.

Made a difference alright. Like the bubonic plague. That made a huge difference in the same direction.

ProudActivist likes this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, JohnM, Sly Saint and 4 others like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2021-3-28_11-41-14.png

What did MS mean here when he said "even though pacing was more credible" than GET.

This one tweet is so full of holes.

"Actigraphy was dropped to reduce patient burden". I bet they would have paid scant heed to patient burden if actigraphy had been likely to give the outcomes they hoped for.

"Truly objective outcomes don't exist" is just a deflection from the fact that outcomes do exist that are far, far more objective than the subjective ones they used. Truly eternal building materials don't exist, but that doesn't mean bricks and mortar aren't far more longer lasting than papier mache and wishful thinking.

"The key finding is DIFFERENCE between arms" is only going to be true if you've controlled for confounding factors between those arms, let alone deliberately introduced confounding factors, and deliberately not controlled for them! e.g. Telling CBT and GET participants how fantastically successful their treatment was going to be for them, and ensuring outcomes were based on their subjective impressions of their treatment's effectiveness.

How many flaws can you fit into a single tweet!

I know this is all old hat now and has been covered many times before, but still can't help picking over this stuff now and again.

Edit: Minor edits for clarity.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  5. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

James, ukxmrv, MSEsperanza and 8 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

James and Amw66 like this.