1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Efficacy of web-based cognitive–behavioural therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome: randomised controlled trial (2018) Knoop

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have another CBT trial to look forward to:

From the protocol paper:

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The intervention sounds designed to bias self-report outcomes.

Maybe actometer results were poor for the next step of the trial, and that led to them playing them down their positive results here? I can see how an 'easy-to-ignore' form of internet CBT would be less likely to be unhelpful, and therefore if some people might still benefit from it, that could lead to better results than we see for face-to-face CBT. It's so hard to say anything when this group have such a history of misrepresenting the evidence.

3. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite possibly. I just found it interesting because if (in isolation from any other flaws the trial might have) I had an objective measure that appears to show a statistically significant benefit, I wouldn't be squirreling that away.

Hutan, Dolphin, Inara and 3 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to point out that the actometer data was neither a primary nor a secondary outcome measure.

There is a chance they might not have published it if it didn't suit.
    They used actometers in Nijhof et al. (2012) https://bmcneurol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2377-11-23 but have never published the data.

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, Inara and 5 others like this.
  5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Hmmm. Disappointing. Well, let's move on to you, Captain Piett. Have you found these
    online sessions helpful?"

[​IMG]

6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1021743820202024961

Direct link to the text:
    Cambridge Core: Frank Twisk & Lou Corsius: Cognitive-behavioural therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome: neither efficacious nor safe

The authors label their intervention CBT. However, looking at the protocol, the intervention investigated not only incorporated CBT, aimed at ‘behaviours and beliefs’ perpetuating ‘fatigue and impairment’, but also included a graded activity programme, known as graded exercise therapy (GET). Several large-scale patient surveys and studies, for example Cheshire et al,4indicate that CBT, especially when combined with GET, can cause iatrogenic harm and is not safe.

In conclusion, the study does not substantiate the claim that iCBT/GET for CFS is efficacious, while there are several indications CBT/GET is not a safe therapy.

7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MSEsperanza, Barry, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MSEsperanza, Inara, Barry and 2 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inara and Amw66 like this.
  11. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This study is one of the 3 trials the German IQWiG draft report assessed (cited as Janse 2018)

https://www.s4me.info/threads/germa...-by-11-november-2022.21266/page-2#post-441477

Did I understand correctly that this is another example of the studies who used actimetry as part of the treatment but not as trial outcome measures and didn't report results?

Do the authors nevertheless claim that there was an increase in activity measured by actometers or is their argument that only subjective measures on a perceived increase in activity are relevant so they didn't even analyze the actometer data?

RedFox, Sean, Wonko and 1 other person like this.