1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Effects of anti-inflammatory drugs on the expression of tryptophan-metabolism genes by human macrophages, 2018, Freeman et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access at https://www.researchgate.net/public...ptophan-metabolism_genes_by_human_macrophages

2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Interesting. However, the explanation may be way simpler than this.

If you look carefully at the research suggesting a link between inflammation and depression, you notice that only a subset of people with depression have evidence of inflammation, and only a subset respond to anti-inflammatory interventions. That subset are unusual in other ways too - on self-report measures of depression, they score particularly highly on "physiological" items (I feel tired all the time, I have difficulty concentrating, I have difficulty sleeping). And interventions that involve anti-inflammatory drugs tend to alter responses to these items specifically.

Also, although there's been some studies showing that placing people on interferon can lead to increased scores on self-report measures of depression, the majority of people on interferon score highly mostly on the physiological items. There is only a subset of people that reach clinical levels of depression and that tends to be those who have previously had a depressive episode.

My conclusion: inflammation is probably not linked with depression in the way we normally understand it, its probably associated with some other set of problems that look a bit similar, especially on self-report measures.

Sound familiar?

We need to sort out what depression is before we can start talking about what causes it. To me, it seems like it is a collection of pretty different conditions with different aetiologies.

(Edited to explain myself better)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    sea, Indigophoton, Amw66 and 9 others like this.
  3. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would it be fair to say that depression is a symptom that means a variety of things, some of which are experienced by healthy people, some of which may be secondary to various other conditions, and one or more which is a disease in its own right?

sea likes this.