1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dry eye syndrome and the subsequent risk of CFS — a prospective population-based study in Taiwan (2018) Tse-Yen Yang et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Hoopoe, Aug 11, 2018.

1. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same here. It goes with the sore throat and swollen lymph nodes. For me it started after a bad cold (double eye infection). My eyes have been dry ever since, and get worse with PEM.

It’s really only mildly annoying, but can be uncomfortable when worsening. My mouth also often feels dry, mostly at night.

2. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While having an SSR test my eyes watered. A stress response is provoked via an electroshock in between the eye brows. So it could be due to (para-)sympathetic nerve signalling? (I was told my reaction was untypical, but could be due to the electroshock.)

adambeyoncelowe and andypants like this.
  3. Sing

Sing Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have had a dry eye problem since nearly the start of this illness 22 years ago. I learned to treat it with a boric acid eyewash I make myself. I couldn’t afford the eye drops or prescription remedies, but was lucky in that the eyewash I make and use at least twice a day is even more effective. My mouth has gotten drier so now, in the interests of keeping the plaque from building on my teeth, I often chew sugarless gum—a very unattractive habit which I spare other people.

Anyway, I am going to try to get tested for Sjogren’s. If you look it up on www.dysautonomiainternational.org you’ll see its connection with autonomic problems, with overlapping features to many of ours.

And one idea it suggests is that ME has an the autoimmune nature.

Hutan likes this.