1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the new ME/CFS research of BPS proponents affect anything much now?

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Jonathan Edwards, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had thought that could be the case with SMILE... it doesn't seem to have worked out that way though. There's no way NICE would recommend LP at this point, but that's not saying much. I don't see much to indicate that those with real power in this system care about nonsense in ME/CFS papers or the harm it does to patients.

Chezboo, Simbindi, cfsandmore and 8 others like this.
  2. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It does a hell of a lot of harm to the children participating in her research.

Chezboo, Michelle, EzzieD and 13 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Telling children they can control the illness, if only they do it right, can cause harm. Since this is not true, it sets them up for guaranteed failure and blame.

Chezboo, Michelle, EzzieD and 16 others like this.
  4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Crawley's research and position as expert in CFS is still doing tremendous harm to youngsters and their parents.

Not only increasing activity. Threatening them with Social Services if they use their phones "too much".

Too many are being threatened with FII.

dratalanta, Chezboo, EzzieD and 13 others like this.
  5. Mike Dean

Mike Dean Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EDIT
    The guidelines prohibit or advise against miscellaneous behavioural approaches as well as drugs, so no reason why that shouldn't be extended to GET and coercive CBT, for instance.

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg...general-management-strategies-after-diagnosis

1.4.6 Strategies that should not be used for CFS/ME

1.4.6.3 Although there is considerable support from patients (particularly people with severe CFS/ME) for the following strategies, healthcare professionals should be aware that there is no controlled trial evidence of benefit:
    • Encouraging maintenance of activity levels at substantially less than full capacity to reserve energy for the body to heal itself (sometimes known as the envelope theory).
    • Encouraging complete rest (cognitive, physical and emotional) during a setback/relapse.
    1.4.6.4 Strategies for managing CFS/ME should not include:
    • Prolonged or complete rest or extended periods of daytime rest in response to a slight increase in symptoms.
    • An imposed rigid schedule of activity and rest.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Michelle, Amw66, Simbindi and 4 others like this.
  6. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think this is entirely true she may have been ignored by some clinicians but she's had a big impact in the world of pediatrics. Before her the main BPS line was that children didn't get M.E therefor when the *NICE guidelines were first written it was Jane Colby who contributed, as the expert on children. Crawley was brought in to fill the gap. If you talked to Nigel Speight he would give you an accurate assessment on the effect Crawley had. She has created the official policy for M.E. in children. Failure to comply with her belief system has left families in serious trouble with their local authorities. As a physician she has also caused a lot of harm to families and has had a large amount of complaints against her, which the GMC has refused to investigate. She complained about Speight because he rescued one of her 'patients' from hospital (this patient walked in but left in a wheel chair)

*My mum has corrected me. It wasn't the NICE guidelines it was the chief medical officer's report that jane colby contributed to. Apparently the bps lot stormed out over the acknowledgement of children with M.E. and the severely ill.

Chezboo, Michelle, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That I can believe.

cfsandmore, Simbindi, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not actually disputing that. The point I was making relates to her research. That may do harm to children recruited into studies but I am sceptical that the research itself has made much impact. What makes an impact is 'expert clinicians' going round giving lectures on how to manage an illness. No doubt she does that. But we have seen exactly the same with Lynne Turner Stokes lecturing on rehabilitation for Long Covid without doing any research at all.

9. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are the questions:
    Did Crawley's research influence policy?
    Did clinician's use her research in a clinical setting?
    Did it spawn research from other clinicians?
    Did it corroborate other research?
    Did it subvert decisions made on what further research to fund?
    Or are there better markers for impact?

As a side note i would say that they bunged her a lot of money that could have been used for other things (a minus research income stream), and also by giving her money claimed that they had funded M.E research which they obviously had not.