1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Documents from the SMILE trial

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by JohnTheJack, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Aren't they also told to not reveal 'secrets' about the Lightning process itself, else it won't work? I think I heard that somewhere? But someone would have to double check.

Woolie, MEMarge, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  2. Barry

I wouldn't go that far by any means, but I think there might be some common elements. One possibility being isolation of 'victims' away from people who might otherwise provide sanity checks on what was happening to them.

Woolie, MEMarge, JohnTheJack and 7 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I guess we have to be a bit careful about this. I am basing my understanding of LP on adults who have broken their secrecy orders and spilled the beans on line. From these, I understand that LP involves requiring participants to keep secrets about what happens in the sessions and to pretend they are feeling better when they are not, under the threat that the treatment won't work if they talk about it or say they still feel ill.

I have no idea whether, for the version done with the children in the SMILE trial, these instructions of secrecy and lies were given to the children, or whether the 'training' was modified in any way to remove such instructions and allow the children to be honest and open. I simply don't know. Does anyone?

Woolie, MEMarge, JohnTheJack and 9 others like this.
  4. Barry

James Coyne commented on this last Sept ...

https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...nal-providers-in-esther-crawleys-smile-trial/

But note this does not itself clarify/confirm if the LP given to children does apply such secret-harbouring principles. Would be good to know one way or the other. But crucial to not go off half-cocked until we do.

Woolie, MEMarge, JohnTheJack and 8 others like this.
  5. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well put. They're certainly not equivalent things, but the similarity in patterns worries me. @Trish 's query is important to check. If kids were required to lie/keep secrets, that is an exploitative dynamic.

The same worries apply to adult subjects as well, but the calculations with regard to consent are different.

6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My guess is that the trial will ultimately be withdraw because of the technical methodological shenanigans. These were serious violations and would or should doom any study. I think that will make it easier to get traction on the serious and very legitimate questions raised about the LP itself and whether it was ethical to ever allow this trial to happen. My choice to focus on the methodology was pragmatic--not because I wasn't concerned about the ethics of the LP itself. It was easy to make a clear-cut and irrefutable argument against what the investigators did from the perspective of basic scientific principles--like not changing your outcomes based on early results, and then not telling anyone about it.

7. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's part of my problem with it. Who knows the content, and what vetting of it was done by someone with the expertise to spot the potential problems?

As we are not allowed to know, I feel there should be some professional assessment of the potential for harm. I'd be interested in hearing some advice from Jane Colby, if someone would contact her on social media? Who has the authority to audit the content of it in this specific instance, and who in general?

8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That is one of the main defining features and tactics of a cult.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    MEMarge, Barry, TiredSam and 5 others like this.
  9. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also, thinking further, how do we know that the Lighting Process in the SMILE trial is the same as the one given to children in other instances, even if it was modified in this instance? It's not even a problem with children with ME/CFS, it's potentially a problem for all children who go through it. What a mess.

MEMarge, JohnTheJack, Barry and 4 others like this.
  10. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure how many people are particularly deeply committed to basic scientific principles (half tongue-in-cheek, half serious).