1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Documenting disability in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), 2020, Podell et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://content.iospress.com/articles/work/wor203178
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.3233/WOR-203178

Starlight, dangermouse, Joh and 11 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is open access now

Starlight, dangermouse, Joh and 8 others like this.
  3. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks very helpful not only for people in the U.S. -- but haven't read it yet.

In any case it seems to contain a helpful summary of some figures and references.
    [including links to the references.]

Podell et al:

"The National Academy of Medicine also reported that patients with ME/CFS can be more functionally impaired than patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus, congestive heart failure, hypertension, depression, multiple sclerosis, and end-stage renal disease [1, 7].

"An estimated 25% are bedbound or housebound [1, 6] and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that an estimated 75% are unable to work [8].

"Recovery rates are low, estimated to be about 5% [9] and as a result, patients can be ill for decades. This level of impairment led the National Academy of Medicine to establish new clinical diagnostic criteria in 2015 that require “A substantial reduction or impairment of the ability to engage in pre-illness levels of occupational, educational, social or personal activities.”

"Yet, in spite of this level of impairment, people with ME/CFS often struggle to obtain disability benefits. In fact, in 2017, the US Social Security Administration (SSA) reported that only about 13,000 individuals were receiving Social Security disability for a diagnosis of ME/CFS at that time [10].

"Given the prevalence and level of debility, this is a surprisingly low number and likely reflects the lack of understanding of the disease and its functional impact.

"This low number of recipients also reflects the high standards of proof required to qualify for ME/CFS disability and the need to use evaluation methods that do not come naturally to most clinicians or even to attorneys who have experience with disability claims for other diseases."

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Sean, J.G, Missense and 9 others like this.