1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do meals affect heart rate and symptoms inpostural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome? 2021, Kate M Bourne et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Mij, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In conclusion, meals do matter in the evaluation and treatment of POTS. There are significant postprandial symptoms in POTS patients, which are related to exaggerated postprandial tachycardia. Possible mechanisms include enhanced splanchnic blood pooling, an increased secretion of vasoactive gastrointestinal hormones, or an excessive sympathetic nervous system response to food ingestion, either in isolation or in combination. Further mechanistic studies are needed to understand the underlying pathophysiology and response to dietary and pharmacological interventions, with the goal of developing new treatment approaches for POTS.

https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1...-CqsPaCQmiV2k0wZ4Pb3-OaavGJo-J3_aMudSI6Yqbxs=

nick2155, Yessica, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Mij for this. It looks interesting

I will try to read it on my PC when I can sit upright. For now, it doesn't seem to want to expand so I can read it on my phone.

I'm saying the above so you understand in case my final comments don't relate to the article: for years, post meals, my energy would really plummet, as in a crash.

I felt almost paralyzed with weakness after mealtimes. Maybe I still have this, but to a lesser degree. I do have tachycardia when upright too long.

Yessica, alktipping, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I posted a link to a new finding on Phoenix Rising regarding another possible mechanism for ME affecting heart rate. They found glial cells in the heart, which are part of heart rate control. I believe that ME affects glial cells, so that could affect heart rate.
    Eating could alter immune system activity, which would in turn affect glial activity. Maybe a bit of a stretch, but still a possibility to keep in mind.

Lisa108, Amw66, Yessica and 3 others like this.