1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do graded activity therapies cause harm in chronic fatigue syndrome? (Kindlon, 2017)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's the 2-year anniversary of this open access paper of mine, so I'm giving it a plug in a few places.

It could be useful if there is any suggestion that somebody should be coerced into doing graded activity or exercise programmes; also to counter claims that the PACE Trial showed graded activity programs are safe.

The word limit for the abstract was 100 words, so I couldn't say as much as I would have liked.

I would have liked to have mentioned the PACE trial in the title as a lot of the focus was the harms reporting in the PACE Trial but the journal's editor wanted something shorter.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1359105317697323

2. Tom Kindlon

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All those papers were two years ago? That's such a long time. Progress since then feels so slow!

Thanks for all your work. This was a really useful paper on a difficult topic.

4. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for doing such amazing work and not giving up !

5. Obermann

Obermann Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Solid and scientifically sound criticism of the reporting of harm in GET trials. As always, it is a pleasure to read your papers, Tom! :thumbup:

6. Tom Kindlon

7. Tom Kindlon

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have actually used the original paper when someone was considering recommending GET for me. I think they felt I had little to lose by trying it but the paper made them think again.

Thank you @Tom Kindlon :thumbup:

lycaena, MEMarge, Sean and 5 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

maybe someone could enlighten the author of this blog:
    Code:
    https://medium.com/@djsan77/6-long-term-negative-effects-of-lack-of-physical-activity-b4970374d40b

Simbindi and Invisible Woman like this.