1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalitis: It's Mitochondria, Not Hypochondria - by Sarah Myhill

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by MeSci, Mar 10, 2018.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldn't think which section to put it in. Can you suggest a better one?

MEMarge likes this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Biomedical ME/CFS News ?

Valentijn likes this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you think so, fine.

Hutan likes this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don' t know. Storm in the head sounds awful. There is dome thought that T2 levels modulate fat burning. It could be this for my aunt- she has gone from hyperthyroid and partial thyroidectomy in her 30s to hypothyroid now .

MEMarge likes this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note: The thread has been moved to the public area.

MEMarge likes this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://sci-hub.tw/http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-277X.2008.00933.x/full

Here is a paper that looked at the issue. Unfortunately I don't think it gives normative data on diet but does say:

Sarah94, MEMarge, Skycloud and 3 others like this.
  7. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought there had been epidemiological studies that discredited the "personality type" connection?

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

They also don't give scores, for the most part, or correct for making multiple comparisons outside of the symptom comparisons within the patient group. They also only had BMI data for one-third of patients, which seems dodgy as hell since it's an extremely easy thing to measure and calculate. Since patients were recruited from the Radboud clinic without extra data collected (to avoid the need for ethical approval), they were probably much more likely to have BMI data on obviously overweight patients, especially since they purport to use Fukuda which has a BMI restriction.

But the Dutch concept of a healthy diet involves eating a ton of bread for fiber, which is problematic if patients have a gluten intolerance, and tends to ignore other (better) sources of fiber. The questionnaire used doesn't seem to exist anymore, so the cut off values used in this paper can't be verified. And without seeing the calculation methods for what constitutes too much fat, it's impossible to know if there was a reasonable cut-off or it if the questionnaire was the victim of low-fat dieting fads.

9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

"They feed themselves on convenience food which needs minimal preparation, such as... ...fruit,..."

WTF is wrong with fruit? Especially whole, unprocessed fruit? I would have thought it was an ideal convenience food.

Sarah94, Hutan, oldtimer and 6 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Me too - fruit, nuts, simple bits of salad, natural soya or coconut yoghurt, eggs, fish, chicken cooked plain and simply without anything added - staple foods for me.

oldtimer, Mij, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  11. Amw66

Fructose is the one sugar that's not used by cells for energy : it' s dumped in the liver and can contribute to non alcoholic fatty liver disease - explanation below
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/fructose-fatty-liver-sugar-toxin

Sarah94 likes this.
  12. Trish

That didn't sound right to me, so I did a bit of digging and found this paper which shows that fructose is metabolised for energy production:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3533803/

Sarah94, MEMarge, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  13. Amw66

Interesting
    I' d looked at fructose due to the role it plays in both NAFLD and insulin resistance with more of a molecular overview. The deciding factor is probably the amount ( i eat a lot of fruit and always have ) ie what is " chronic" fructose consumption .

This was a reference i' d looked at and bookmarked previously
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5372893/

Sorry on my phone and can' t cut and paste the actual body of text.
    Both are interesting.

Sarah94, MEMarge, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  14. Trish

It looks like you're right on that. Fructose in modest amounts is fine and is used as part of energy production. It is excessive fructose that seems to be the problem in NAFLD.

Sarah94, Hutan, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  15. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And don't forget that all of us, sick and well alike, must have as a bare minimum so that we can all live to our full potential, the Basic Package. This absolutely "essential part of life" starter kit consists of
    • Multi-vitamin - one daily;
    • Multi-mineral Mix - 2-3 grams daily;
    • Hemp oil - one tablespoonful daily;
    • Vitamin C - 2 grams at night.
    and will only set you back a tiny £90. To be fair, some of these will last more than a month. What's more, they are available at Dr. Myhill's own shop! Oh, and don't forget to get all your amalgam fillings removed and have a good old detox while you're at it. If you haven't found the "key" to your recovery yet, just keep spending, people; it's bound to be hiding somewhere under a pile of junk.

Aha!! I knew the "key" was in an alternative bottle somewhere upload_2018-3-13_13-6-17.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Sarah94, MEMarge, Mattie and 2 others like this.
  16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Where can one obtain the supplements with added moral fibre to make up for our obvious lack?

Sarah94, MEMarge, Sisyphus and 3 others like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Of course, fruit in excess can cause problems, like anything.

But I know of no reason why ME patients shouldn't eat some fruit, and every reason to do so.

MEMarge, MeSci and oldtimer like this.