1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalitis: It's Mitochondria, Not Hypochondria - by Sarah Myhill

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by MeSci, Mar 10, 2018.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a book published by Chelsea Green Publishing, 2018
    ISBN 160358787X, 9781603587877
    Length 413 pages

Mitochondria are the powerhouses of our cells, essential for the production and management of energy at the cell level. Dr. Sarah Myhill has spent years studying the relationship between mitochondrial malfunction and one of the most common problems that leads people to the doctor's office: fatigue.

In Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalitis, Dr. Myhill examines this essential role of our mitochondria in energy production and why it is key to understanding and overcoming Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and the inflammation that often accompanies it: Myalgic Encephalitis (ME). She explains the importance of healthy mitochondria, how we can assess how well they are functioning, what we can do to keep them healthy, and how to restore them to health if problems arise.

Since publication of the first edition in 2014, new research and new clinical findings have shed further light on a condition that is debilitating to those who suffer from it, but "all in the head" to many doctors. The second edition of this groundbreaking book includes new insights and chapters on why CFS/ME is the most poorly treated condition in Western medicine, the role of the gut, allergy and autoimmunity, Lyme disease and other coinfections, reprogramming the immune system, reprogramming the brain, and the roadmap to recovery.

Info from/at https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=IzhODwAAQBAJ&redir_esc=y&hl=en

Jan, Indigophoton, Skycloud and 6 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

fossil, Hutan, Indigophoton and 6 others like this.
  3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How much does a study like this support her dietary recommendations? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3321471/

I know people who've benefited from keto for epilepsy and ME, but I'm curious as to whether there's much science behind it.

As for the role of mitochondria: Ramsay himself said they probably accounted for the muscular fatigability in ME, so I think she's on the right track, but I suspect it's just part of the picture.

We'll probably see the same pattern of mitochondrial dysfunction across fatiguing illnesses. So it's not so much that the mitochondrial dysfunction causes ME, than it is that the dysfunction causes fatigue itself (or is a consequence of it, since correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation).

4. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does it say anything about eating chocolate cookies at night, though? ;)

5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that's covered by the comment about addiction.

6. TiredSam

I'm afraid you'll have to stop that:

upload_2018-3-10_13-8-47.png

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

'They feed themselves on convenience foods'. I really do object to people making sweeping statements about PWME, even when done with the best of intentions. I suspect a lot of us are very careful to eat as healthily as we can.

8. TiredSam

There are also a lot of people who feed themselves on convenience foods who don't get ME. Correlation, causation and all that, not that she's even demonstrated a correlation. But if she had, do biscuits give you ME, or does ME make you eat biscuits? Although her "vicious cycle" comment may have demonstrated her thinking on that.

I think a randomised controlled trial is called for. I volunteer to be in the group that gets all the biscuits.

EDIT: If this thread turns into a lot of biscuit sillyness I suggest we blame @mango. Or we could all really try not to let it turn into a lot of biscuit sillyness - the moderators had a terrible job tidying it all up last time ...

9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah ha ... but you won't know what has been put in the biscuits! OR at least not initially :wtf::)

Skycloud and mango like this.
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Keto would work for those who have pyruvate/ glycolysis issues- fats being an alternative energy source. Also good where insulin resistance / glucose metabolism is affected.
    However there is a subset whose lipid metabolism is affected and who could not manage keto.
    Whilst the focus is mitochondria, it is more that this is a consequence, and that some combinations of diet and supplements can help address some of the underlying issues ( most likely relative to lack.of substrate and methylation). There is info on endocrine imbalance, ROS etc.
    It is an accessible read and does offer explanations for many aspects.

11. TiredSam

Stoppit @Barry, just stoppit, right there.

Louie41, MEMarge and Barry like this.
  12. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I seem to have some glucose regulation issues or something to do with energy metabolism, nothing major, but keto has been harmful whenever I've tried it. Last time I tried it I also had episodes of abnormal brain activity at night ("a storm in the head"). Do you think this suggests an issue with fats used for energy production?

13. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

I wouldn't particularly have a problem with her advice, except that it's phrased as the roadmap to "recovery." That's a nasty and exploitative expectation to create.

Sarah94, Trails, Nina and 13 others like this.
  14. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this narrative of people with ME all being type A, over-achieving perfectionists were true, than wouldn't we have the best organized and most effective advocacy movement and fundraising machine in the world and wouldn't find ourselves among the most marginalized / harmed by health care systems with the least amount of research funding?

(Also, I'm not a perfectionist because that would be a flaw. ;))

Sarah94, BruceInOz, Samuel and 9 others like this.
  15. TiredSam

We would also do everything necessary to cure ourselves. Since when do type A's feel happy being almost completely dependent on others in return for secondary benefits which never materialise? And who other than a type A perfectionist is going to be able to comply with all the details of Sarah Myhill's roadmap?

Sarah94, JemPD, cyclamen and 6 others like this.
  16. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Those were pretty much my thoughts Ramsay and Hyde mention 'derangement of glycolysis' throughout their work. This would presumably address that, and might help the busted energy systems. I think it'd be a very hit-and-miss treatment, though, since some people have fat issues, as you and @strategist seem to indicate.

@ScottTriGuy The fact we're all knackered, ill and brain fogged doesn't help, I'm sure. ;)

MEMarge and ScottTriGuy like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

any particular reason why this thread is in Members only?

Hutan, Barry and MEMarge like this.
  18. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks everyone, I'm off to eat a dark chocolate covered rice cake.

MEMarge, Amw66, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  19. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

we probably would if we had the normal energy levels and brainpower of our well selves. But being hampered with cotton wool heads and string muscles is our downfall. That's why it's so amazing to have the power of super @dave30th to deliver messages intelligently for us.

AliceLily, MEMarge, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  20. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note: Good question. Does anyone object to this thread (which reviews Myhill's book) being shifted to the public area?

We can presume you were asking on behalf of a friend, Mango.