1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Demystifying Medicine video: "What is chronic fatigue syndrome?"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Webdog, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A decent undergraduate McMaster University student video about "chronic fatigue syndrome". It covers the PACE Trial and correctly concludes the results are unreliable. Worth a watch.

The case study, of a fictitious person named "Hannah", is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XEMqDa92RA

Overall, quite good for YouTube. A few nitpicks after rewatching:
    • Uses "chronic fatigue syndrome", not ME/CFS.
    • Gives "childhood trauma" as a risk factor.
    • Indicates CFS is a diagnosis of exclusion (not so anymore in the United States).
    • Misses that PACE is also unreliable because it included patients with other fatiguing conditions.
    • Discusses antidepressants for patients with depression, but doesn't provide any warnings (e.g. the CDC says "However, doctors should use caution in prescribing these medications. Some drugs used to treat depression have other effects that might worsen other ME/CFS symptoms and cause side effects.")
    • Discusses energy management, but never uses the term "Pacing".
    • Discusses post exertional malaise, but never uses the terms post exertional malaise or PEM.
    • Symptom list is "fatigue, loss of memory, lack of concentration, headaches, extreme exhaustion". Doesn't match any criteria I'm aware of.
    • Cites research showing an "Increased number of natural killer cells". Is this correct?
    Edit: After googling, I discovered McMaster University is in Canada. Some of my criticisms may not be valid outside the US.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Usually, videos like this wind up being fairly equivocal, but not this time...

3. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have never heard of that. Most studies report the number as being fine, just the function is low. This would have implications for immune problems.

Occasionally there will be a report in the literature or from patients that if you count all the markers on the NK cells you get a different mix of markers than expected.

Further reading: https://www.bio-rad-antibodies.com/nk-cell-receptor-antibodies.html

Forbin, Wonko and Invisible Woman like this.