1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Decreased Expression of TRPM3 and mAChRM3 in the Small Intestine in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (2018) Staines et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Simone, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Authors: Marshall-Gradisnik, Fretel, Eaton, Cabanas, Balinas, Gopalan, Petersen, Passmore, Tang, Haque, Lam, and Staines

Journal: International Journal of Clinical Medicine (May, 2018)

ABSTRACT
    Introduction
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is often associated with gastrointestinal disturbance and inflammatory markers; however, there have been no histological studies performed in the small intestine from CFS/ME patients. The aim of this investigation was to assess the expression of certain inflammatory markers and inflammatory receptors, namely transient receptor potential melastin 3 (TRPM3) ion channels and muscarinic acetylcholine M3 (mAChRM3) receptors, in small intestinal tissues in a case controlled study comprising a CFS/ME patient and a healthy non-fatigued control.

Method
    Immunohistochemistry was performed on a small intestinal biopsy from a CFS/ME patient (age = 50; female) with self-reported symptoms of gastrointestinal disturbance and a non-fatigued control (NFC), (age = 28; female). Semi-quantitative analysis of expression was undertaken for interferon-gamma (IFNy), interleukin-1 alpha (IL-1α), tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNFα), TRPM3 ion channels and mAChRM3 acetylcholine receptors.

Results
    There was significantly decreased expression of TRPM3 in the CFS/ME patient (35% ± 9%) and a significant decrease in mAChRM3 in the CFS/ME patient (54% ± 9%). There was no difference in IL-1α between CFS/ME patient and NFC, however; there was an increase in IFNy (13% ± 6%) in the CFS/ME patient compared to NFC. There was a difference observed in TNFα in CFS/ME compared to NFC.

Conclusion
    Differences were noted in the expression of specific TRP ion channels and cholinergic receptors in CFS/ME compared with NFC, with CFS/ME demonstrating decreased TRPM3 and mAChRM3. Further, IFNy was increased, and TNFα decreased, in the small intestine of the CFS/ME patient with reported gastrointestinal disturbance.

Full paper:
    https://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=85005

adambeyoncelowe, Barry, Joh and 6 others like this.
  2. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A single patient and a single control? Huh? Is that even useful? I know this group took an intestinal biopsy from me and another from another patient (both of us male) so I wonder what they used them for?

Esther12, MEMarge, Barry and 12 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, and the ME/CFS patient was 50 and the healthy control was 28...

I really want this team to be producing great things. But I keep feeling a bit concerned. Why would you not wait to do the biopsies on a handful more patients and controls before publishing?

Esther12, Barry, Joh and 9 others like this.
  4. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was my question too.

MEMarge, Barry, Joh and 7 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This was reported in the abstract
    and this in the main body of the text,
    To me, the actual results, where the ME/CFS patient had no TRPM3 or mAChRM3 at all (a 100% reduction compared to the control) are a lot more interesting than what I had interpreted the abstract said (i.e. a 35% and 54% reduction). The sample is still way to small to draw any conclusions but I'll look for a bigger study on this with more interest.

Barry, Joh, Invisible Woman and 3 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find it very hard to work out what these numbers mean. As it stands the abstract seems totally misleading. Whatever the numbers I don't think one sample tells us anything useful.

7. Aimossy

Aimossy Established Member (Voting Rights)

8. unicorn7

unicorn7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw this study on twitter under this headline, that a biopsy has never been done in ME-patients. That is not true, I know at least one small study where there were biopsies done in patients and controls and pretty big differences where found.

adambeyoncelowe and Inara like this.