1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

David Tuller: Trial By Error: My Letter to Professor Hotopf About Bristol's School Absence Study

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My Letter to Professor Hotopf About Bristol's School Absence Study

Matthew Hotopf is a professor of general medicine psychiatry at King’s College London. He served as a peer-reviewer for a study by Bristol University investigators that was published in BMJ Open in 2011. The study involved whether school absences could be used to identify cases of diagnosed CFS/ME (as the study called the illness).

As I reported in my initial investigation of this issue, Professor Hotopf raised serious concerns in his peer-review about the study’s lack of ethical review–but the paper was published anyway. As part of my efforts to figure out what happened, I sent him the following e-mail on March 9

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, ukxmrv, MSEsperanza and 12 others like this.
  4. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, and this one looks interesting too... Viruses, neurosis and fatigue

btw - didn't Matthew Hotopf get into this line of research because he was cured of CFS by MS at Warneford? Or did I dream that?

5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to the Wesseley, Hotopf, Sharpe book

"Matthew Hotopf's earliest exposure to the field was personal. As a medical student at Bart's he suffered glandular fever and was enrolled into Peter White's study. (White P, Thomas J, Grover S, Kangro H,. Clare A The existence of a fatigue syndrome after glandular fever. Psychol Med 1995 25 907-916) This experience was an insight into the rigours of well conducted research."

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi, @dave30th. You don't appear to have stated in this latest article (which is great as far as I have read) that the REC is the Research Ethics Committee (at least I think it is, from using one of your links).

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mind you, he did at least raise valid objections, so probably best to wait for his reply before jumping to too many conclusions.

9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes. but I wasn't aware of the part about being in one of Peter White's study.

10. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Trial By Error: My Latest Letter to Bristol
    http://www.virology.ws/2019/04/09/trial-by-error-my-latest-letter-to-bristol/

Inara, MEMarge, Sly Saint and 5 others like this.
  11. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, good point! I should have cc'd Professor Hotopf as well on this latest letter.

MEMarge, andypants and Andy like this.