1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

David Tuller: Trial By Error: More Thoughts on the Interferon Study

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More Thoughts on the Interferon Study

I was surprised recently when the UK press made a big splash about what was, in the end, a modest study from a team led by Carmine Pariante, a professor of psychiatry at Kings College London. I was less surprised when I realized that the Science Media Centre was involved in disseminating the news. The coverage generated by the SMC’s efforts largely paralleled the overblown claims made by the study authors themselves in linking this paper about hepatitis C patients to possible biological mechanisms underlying what they call “chronic fatigue syndrome.”

Woolie, meg22, inox and 22 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A useful piece, thank you @dave30th .

It is interesting to look at the SMC back catalogue of press releases and briefings in relation to ME over the last few years. Until their excessive lauding of this Kings' interferon study last month their output was almost entirely devoted to extoling and/or defending the output of a narrow group of British researchers fixatedly devoted to behavioural intervention in what they refer to as CFS, defined by the discredited Oxford criteria.

Whatever their motivation, the SMC has certainly failed to give either balanced or objective information on ME, so I welcome your plans to look at their flawed attempts to control the British and international media's understanding of ME. They are most certainly part of the failure by the British establishment to address the appallingly bad science perpetrated this group of researchers that has resulted in real harm being inflicted on both adults and children with ME.

Woolie, inox, MEMarge and 16 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thank you @dave30th, another good article.

I look forward to your study of the SMC and who influences it's approach to 'science'. With ME, I think we know the answer - Simon Wessely.

I agree with your point about Pariante's study being a minor study that may not have any relevance to ME.

Like pain, fatigue is a symptom not a syndrome and can have many different biological causes. Just because some post interferon patients develop ongoing fatigue doesn't mean it's the same as the fatigue in ME/CFS. I thought this study of post cancer treatment fatigue compared with CFS was relevant to this because it suggests different biological mechanisms in those cases.

Woolie, Mithriel, inox and 11 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@dave30th

see:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/persi...-2018-pariante-et-al.7050/page-22#post-133109

"“In conclusion, findings from this study support the hypothesis that abnormal immune mechanisms are important in CFS, but only early in the course of the illness, around the time of the trigger, rather than when the syndrome is established,” the authors conclude."

which still seems to go with the 'hit and run' theory; ie illness perpetuated by ? 'unhelpful illness beliefs and deconditioning'.

But, of course it's still all a bit irrelevant for the reasons mentioned by you and many others.

Woolie, Barry, inox and 8 others like this.
  5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, that could suggest that they want to use it to promote GET/CBT. It's just unclear what their intention is.

rvallee, Barry, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How can it support a hypothesis for CFS when the study was on Hep C patients ?

MEMarge, EzzieD, obeat and 3 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

IAPT ...££££

JoanneS, MEMarge, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Magic psych thinking can come to any conclusion from any evidence (or lack of), you just need to think positively! ;)

andypants, JoanneS, MEMarge and 6 others like this.