1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

David Tuller: Trial By Error: BMJ Still "Looking Into" Lightning Process Paper

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BMJ Still "Looking Into Lightning Process Paper"

Tuller has received via CC an e-mail from dr. Brown, editor of Archives of Disease in Childhood, stating that they had previously acknowledged receipt of his complaints, are looking into them and will respond fully when ready.

Tuller has therefore sent yet another e-mail to dr. Brown.

So why, after more than four months of investigation, have you still not managed to confirm that the Lightning Process study violated BMJ’s own policy about trial registration? Why have you not acknowledged that the investigators biased their findings by swapping outcome measures based on results from more than half the participants? Why have you not informed your readers of these methodological anomalies? Why has Dr Godlee herself not stepped in to make the appropriate determinations, since you and your editorial team appear unable to handle your responsibilities in a timely manner? Would you agree that this study is likely to impact medical treatment and public policy involving children, and that addressing the issues quickly is therefore critical?

Inara, Amw66, TiredSam and 37 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, @dave30th. I like the tone of polite incredulity at the lack of action by the journal. Let's hope it gets the paper retracted.

Inara, andypants, sea and 17 others like this.
  3. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Powerful, strong, love it.

Inara, alktipping, mango and 11 others like this.
  4. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@dave30th - I can't thank you enough for this (and all that you do for us)!

Inara, Allele, alktipping and 13 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had not taken too much notice of the reference to the Lightning Process in the NICE scoping document. However, it does make clear just how close papers like this are to altering clinical practice. I have serious concerns about the SMILE study, greater than pretty much anything else, and I agree with David that it needs proper formal investigation. We cannot afford to have these concerns swept under the carpet.

rvallee, Inara, NelliePledge and 31 others like this.
  6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are lots of reasons to be concerned about the SMILE study, starting with the LP itself. However, it turned out that you don't even need to criticize the LP itself in order to show that the study is bogus. Just pointing out these flaws should be enough in any normal circumstances for a full retraction. You simply can't do what was done here. The fact that the investigators got research ethics committee approval is no excuse. The REC obviously made a big mistake in approving these maneuvers. The journal should have rejected it for publication.

7. Trish

@dave30th and @Jonathan Edwards, do you think it would be a good idea to spell out to the NICE people just what LP actually involves - just how unethical it is, especially with children. I hope they would have the sense to be horrified and to remove it immediately from consideration.

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LOL - this is the key part imo:

Their journal clearly requires trials to have been prospectively registered - how can anyone claim SMILE was prospectively registered? How can it take them months to realise SMILE was not prospectively registered?

Inara, andypants, Joh and 17 others like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has. Phil Parker already scoped a slice of the IAPT pie ?

Inara, NelliePledge, Sean and 2 others like this.
  10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for saying this. It is disturbing when children receive "treatment" where they are taught that they must stop saying how ill they are feeling.

It is the people that advocate this kind of treatment that need psychological help, so they can start bearing the harsh reality and no longer feel the need to silence the sufferer.

Inara, andypants, TiredSam and 13 others like this.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is very important. We forget that other people don't know what it involves.

andypants, Allele, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it has been flagged up in such a way that the people who matter will make sure they educate themselves about the problems. One thing I think is clear is that the people at NICE involved with the guidelines are not going to drift through this without making sure they know what needs to be known.

Inara, andypants, sea and 8 others like this.
  13. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sometimes I just say to myself. I'm a hypnotherapist. I've created a cure for ME/CFS, fibromyalgia and many other diseases without any evidence on any aspect of it. But, hey, I just know it will work. One day a pediatric psychologist will perform a study on my treatment. The psychologist's control for an adult telling a child to stand on a piece of paper in a circle of other children, telling him to tell symptoms to 'stop', will be standard medical care. There's nothing wrong with that. The children, half of whom were groomed for selection 2 years in advance, will self-report changes in symptoms. The researcher will be allowed to look at results and swap primary and secondary outcomes half way through.

Then I think, nah, that's too crazy it will never happen.

Inara, Pechius, andypants and 8 others like this.
  14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You forgot the part where said researcher, in response to criticism, then goes on a journey through academia to convince the rest of the world that she is a morally good person that stands up for children and good science.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  15. Kalliope

ETA:
    Archives of Disease in Childhood: Editor's note (Nick Brown, Editor-in-Chief Archives of Disease in Childhood)

Inara, mango, Indigophoton and 11 others like this.
  16. Sasha

This is progress!

Does anyone have a link to the paper? I'd like to see how obvious that note is.

Barry, MEMarge and Kalliope like this.
  17. Kalliope

18. Sasha

Thanks!

But when I googled on the title of the paper, I get this link, to an earlier version of the paper where the editor's note doesn't appear at all:

https://adc.bmj.com/content/early/2017/09/20/archdischild-2017-313375

and this latest version, where I also can't see the editor's note:

https://adc.bmj.com/content/early/2017/09/21/archdischild-2017-313375

So if the editor's note is invisible, what's the point of it?

@dave30th

An issue for all papers where the journal didn't do its initial job well and uncritically published a paper with misleading results is how they'll manage to reach all the people who've read the paper and have no reason to go back to the journal site and read it again. I think the journal should have to make an announcement in their latest issue, so as to get the attention of those readers.

Does that go on in any journal?

Inara, Esther12, Barry and 3 others like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Trish

So they say they have carried out the review - surely if they had carried it out properly they would have found the problems and should have promptly retracted the paper, not just added an ambiguous notice. I suppose they do have to give the author a chance to explain - but why would that take time to consider - I have no idea how the problems could be explained away.

Inara, MEMarge, NelliePledge and 6 others like this.