1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dan Peterson at the discovery Forum 2017

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Aroa, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Aroa

Aroa Established Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A partial transcription, partial summary of what Peterson says about his proposed research into clonal expansion in the video:

They want to try and study the T and B cell clonal rearrangements that are seen in a subset of patients, because all of Peterson's patients that have developed lymphoma (in their thirty years of studying the condition, during which they have seen around 8000 patients) have first had a T or B cell rearrangement.

Peterson has had 50 B cell and 40 or 50 T cell [expansion] patients and has bone marrow, blood components and lymph node material for all of those people. The technology is now at the point where they can process the material. He wants to look for the antigen (ie, the pathogen or self molecule that is triggering the immune response in the form of clonal expansion).

Apparently Mark Davis has identified a pathogen in one of his T cell clonal expansion patients.

Peterson seems to suggest, if I understand him correctly, that he thinks the people with clonal expansion/lymphoma are a subset, and the same subset as those for whom rituximab was effective.

I'm not sure how the last comment that he made gels with the subsequent failure of the phase III ritux trial.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  3. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sounds like he has alot of data but no cash

alktipping and Hutan like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given the EBV-lymphoma link, could this simply be a long term consequence of prolonged EBV infection, rather than ME or CFS in general?