1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Culturing adult stem cells for cell-based therapeutics: neuroimmune applications (including ME/CFS)

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by MeSci, Nov 13, 2018.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: IntechOpen

Paper 80714

Date: November 5, 2018

URL:
    https://www.intechopen.com/online-first/culturing-adult-stem-cells-for-cell-based-therapeutics/

https://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/63496.pdf

Culturing adult stem cells for cell-based therapeutics: neuroimmune applications
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Victoria Moreno-Manzano(1,3), Elisa Oltra Garcia(2,3) 1 Centro de Investigacion Principe Felipe, Valencia (CIPF)
    2 Catholic University of Valencia, Valencia
    3 European network EUROMENE

Submitted: April 20th 2018
    Reviewed: August 5th 2018
    Published: November 5th 2018

Abstract

Pluripotent stem cells can be successfully isolated from a variety of tissues from adult organisms. This fact opens the exciting possibility of cell-based therapies for a large number of clinical treatments.

However, the development of optimized protocols to obtain, grow, and cryopreserve cells, as well as that of effective clinical treatment procedures, is no easy task. The therapeutic potential of cells expanded in vitro depends on a multitude of factors including isolation procedures, donor and tissue types, expansion and preservation methods, etc. Researchers are investing great efforts to determine which of these many variables significantly impact downstream performance of in vitro expanded stem cells by studying associated changes in molecular profiles and their effect on the host immune system. This chapter reviews the current status of stem cell production and its derivatives, which are paving the way to different treatments in the clinic. Due to the research interests of our labs, particular emphasis is placed on the potential benefits of stem cell-based therapeutics for the treatment of spinal cord injuries and the neuroimmune disease myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) not only derived from differentiation and cell engraftment mechanisms but also due to the antiinflammatory and immunoregulatory capacities of these cells.

Keywords: mesenchymal stem cell (MSC), induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC), spinal cord injury (SCI), myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), extracellular vesicle (EV)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Little Bluestem and andypants like this.