Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MeSci likes this.
  2. Dolphin

3. Dolphin

Kitty and Wonko like this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, if they admit to not having the info then the statement that pwME are not known to be more at risk, and therefore a priority, would seem to be 'misleading'.

Given that they know they don;t have this information it might even IMO be classed as active 'disinformation'.

Kitty, Missense and JemPD like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

anyone have any comments on the suspension of the Astrazeneca vaccine roll out in several EU countries plus I think Thailand, due to a number of patients having blood clots; I think 3 health workers in Norway among them.
    I am booked in for vaccination on Weds (AZ) and was nervous enough about it already.

Kitty, JaneL, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, Mithriel and Sly Saint like this.
  7. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This may be a minority view, but I think the UK has it right here. Here in the US some states have adopted practice of preferentially offering the vaccine to any number of politically connected groups along with the elderly. The net affect has been to make it difficult for the Old to get their shot and to slow the overall rollout.

The UK, as I understand it, simply walked down the ladder from oldest age and included a very small subset of known high-risk groups along with them. This has the positive side effect of catching the most vulnerable people in many different groups; a 60 year old grocery store clerk will get their shot before their 21 year old coworker, etc. This simplification seems to have allowed the UK to get the shots rolled out faster and with fewer people left out.

Now, I don’t live in the UK So I don’t know personally what’s going on at ground level there. But I do live in a very large US state famous for “caring” policies. Because of the number of connected or preferred groups tossed in along with the elderly and immune compromised, there’s a dramatic shortage of shots compared to demand.

I was only able to get my shot by a confluence of two circumstances: One, somebody with a bit of programming knowledge took it upon themselves to write a website which is alternative to the city and state’s useless, confounding, time wasting, opaque appointment search website and instead offers something that actually works. Two, MECFS sleep disruption had me up at 1 AM on a morning when several hundred new appointments were released, And I happen to be viewing that website at that moment.

Result: My state has the second highest rate of virus deaths in the country and one of the highest in the world. The epidemic will burn out here despite, rather than because of the State and city governments efforts. In contrast, the UK’s virus fatalities have dropping like a 737 Max flown by 2 green pilots for at least a month now. UK, you’re doing it right.

Kitty, Amw66, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5vforest, lycaena, Kitty and 9 others like this.
  9. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are you sure AZ vx provides no protection from variants?

There’s an often quoted study from South Africa which showed that it didn’t work very well with people who are being treated for HIV and we’re exposed to the local variant. Results for s.a variant protection in people with no HIV condition were better. But then, if one’s immune system is whacked by both HIV and the treatments for it you wouldn’t expect much from any vx.

10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vaccines haven't been around for eight months yet, so how has this data been acquired? Or have I misunderstood the timeline involved?

Kitty, Invisible Woman and Michelle like this.
  11. Wonko

I have seen reports of people catching covid after being vaccinated. Given the precision of such things, it seems possible that at least some of these cases were infected during the vaccination 'process' i.e. the trip to, the visit, and the trip back to home. Pretty sure I saw reports of a report about a collection of people all saying that they had been shielding prior to vaccination, and went back into shielding afterwards, but still developed covid.

Presumably they know they contracted covid somehow, I have no recollection of anyone saying for definite, that they had been tested, only that they had caught it.

However, even if we accept the PR based media assertions that some of the vaccines have a 95% efficacy rate, that means that 1 in 20 people have no statistically detectable protection. Scale that up to many millions of people and it may be apparent that quite a few people are indeed likely to get infected even after vaccination has been attempted.

Nothing is perfect, not even perfection (not tried it myself but I've heard it said it gets very boring).

Kitty, JemPD, Invisible Woman and 7 others like this.
  12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, small changes like this in uncontrolled studies is usually just response bias.

It certainly provides much lower protection from the South African variant. But I think lunarainbows was talking about in the years to come, when further new variants emerge, which vaccine-escape is more likely.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Healthrising are running quite a detailed poll: you can view the results without taking part if you want
    https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...ffects-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-fibromyalgia/

eta: click on 'view results' next to the 'submit' button at the bottom of the poll to view without taking part.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Kitty, Ariel, Chezboo and 6 others like this.
  14. Wonko

So what's needed here is a service to remove and then collect the arm of choice, take it away (possibly supplying a 'loaner' arm), vaccinate it, and when it's no longer showing any signs of side effects, bring it back and reattach it?

Medicine, still in the not very bright ages.

Looking at Corts chart thing it looks like the best vaccines, for both side effects and duration of them, are the ones that are not in widespread circulation yet, the second dose for them looks positively benign.

But then again up until very recently people called my ME benign so......

Kitty, Missense, JemPD and 7 others like this.
  15. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just got my appointment on Friday for the first vaccine.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Kitty, Ariel, merylg and 10 others like this.
  16. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Skippy, Kitty and Invisible Woman like this.
  17. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The first made in Canada vaccine from Medicago.

Plant-derived COVID vaccine candidate with GSK pandemic adjuvant is moving into Phase 3 clinical trials today

18. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Posts discussing post-vaccination experiences have been moved to a new thread on post-vaccination experiences:
    Post-covid-19 vaccination experiences

Please discuss any experiences from taking the vaccine in the new thread.

Kitty, JaneL, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  19. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just saw this for U.S. it's where to find a vaccine and you can search by which one. Also tells if in stock. Site is still being put together so some areas may not have info yet. Thankfully my area does.

https://vaccinefinder.org/search/

JemPD, Kitty, Invisible Woman and 2 others like this.
  20. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope other places (ideally everywhere) have similar. For California Fact Sheet (ca.gov) was quite relieved to read both of these:

you don't need a letter to verify qualifying disability

and it doesn't have to be on the list of high risk to qualify if

Please be advised that those of you with qualifying underlying conditions do NOT need a letter from your health care provider in order to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

Kitty, Mij, Invisible Woman and 5 others like this.