1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes - covid shot, as per normal, for me, left arm (after a few hours small amount of pain/lump like feeling), flu shot right arm, nothing noticeable, although it may have contributed to the general rein of unconsciousness over the next day or so.

Much more minor, in my case, than either of the 2 primary jabs (AZ) or booster one (pfizer).

AliceLily, ahimsa, Lilas and 4 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given where we are with variants would original antigenic sin not be more of an issue?

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  3. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to testify that I received the bivalent covid vaccine on Wednesday. I was able to choose the one from Pfizer. The side effects were thankfully minimal and like all my previous doses of this company. Swollen injection site area and arm muscle pain. 48 hours later, only slight swelling remains at the injection site.

Notes: I declined the seasonal flu shot as I suspect I've caught it lately. Here, wearing a mask in Vaccination Centers is obligatory, rather reassuring.

4. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My vaccination visit itself was interesting yesterday (headache is clearing a bit now feeling a bit more chatty). The nurse who gave me the shots suffers from ME since her teenage years (multiple decades) but has been mild for quite some years but work is pretty much all she can do. She was saying that the Flu vaccine this year is just a mix of all of the variants, they have no idea which one is most likely going to break out since everything seems to be just a mess and people are getting much sicker than they should so they just have the lot in there in the hope its enough but they haven't really changed the formulation since Covid started. We also talked briefly about Long Covid, she has been seeing a lot of people need vaccines at home and she is really concerned how much growth there has been this year.

5. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First dose: Pfizer, mild side effects for 12 hours
    Second dose: Pfizer, mild side effects for 12 hours
    Third dose: Moderna, moderate/severe side effects for 30 hours

Fourth dose: Pfizer bivalent, no side effects in the first 32 hours after receiving it.

(Note: I don't consider a sore arm to be a side effect, in the same way that a sore face isn't a side effect of being punched in the face. As it happens, though, the sore arm has been much less with this dose than it was with previous doses.)

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Got mine booked on Thursday as it’s now 4 weeks since I got Covid. I’m keen to get it as soon as I can. A couple of relatives one who is badly affected by Parkinson’s have had Covid after me and had already had boosters their symptoms haven’t been as bad as mine and the one who had been boosted a few weeks before was only positive for about 6 days, mine was 13 days. I don’t want that again.

Hutan, Ariel, MSEsperanza and 11 others like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I called last to week to book a home visit but I haven't heard back yet. If I don't get a call back soon I'm going to assume I didn't leave my phone number on their answering service. Wouldn't surprise me.

8. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5hrs post booster (4th dose) Pfizer bivalent

Previous 1st &2nd doses were AZ to which i had mod/severe effects for 2wks & 7 days respectively.
    3rd dose pfizer mod/severe effects for about a wk

So far just drowsy (which i'm not as a rule), & a mild headache.
    Arm slightly sore but as @Sarah94 says thats not really a 'side effect' lol.

Am a little nervous as this is how 1st AZ started, i thought i'd gotten away lightly, then about 8hrs in, wham fever etc. So we'll see....

9. NelliePledge

I managed to drive myself to my booster appointment this pm. Believe it or not it was a Pfizer again so that’s 4/4. Hopefully given I didn’t have anything other than punched arm bit of a headache previously I should be ok. My arm does hurt quite a bit.

the session was in a very well ventilated church hall with high ceiling, separate entrance and exit doors. It was a session for people with health conditions. Majority of public were unmasked and probably 2/3 of staff unmasked :banghead:
    I had my ffp on and I did comment that I was surprised masks weren’t required. When I had my flu jab 2 months ago at a Saturday session in the GP surgery masks were required, although to be fair it isn’t very well ventilated.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Just under two weeks after getting my Covid booster (which I understand is the bivalent version) and I'm still not back to how I was before it. No big crash but definitely lower energy, more brain fog, worse sleep and digestion. Fingers crossed I get back to where I was.

Hutan, Ariel, hinterland and 15 others like this.
  11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well this has been strange. The minor effects continued for approx 60hrs, thought i'd got away with only mild effects, then i suddenly got a mild fever spike, & gland under arm pit became very sore swollen, body aches, lasted about 12hrs, & now (day 4) i just feel indefinably weird, spacey & strange. very low energy - obviously that normal with ME but this is different somehow.

One thing this time is that it made me very very thirsty & also major urge to eat, during first 2 days. I couldnt stop eating or drinking, just wanting to graze continuously -4litres a day minimum & craving salt in a big way. (the salt craving started before the thirst) I also had rotten stomach pain - likely from the increased amount of food/drink & i've been very consitpated.

I have also been noticeably weepy & depressed. I always get a weird euphoria in 1st few hrs after the jabs, but this time when that passed about 6/8hrs after, my mood dropped very low, with no apparent trigger other than the jab.

edited for sense

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    Hutan, Ariel, hinterland and 14 others like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sounds horrible, @JemPD. I hope it settles down soon. :hug:

Hutan, Ariel, Lilas and 11 others like this.
  13. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Respect to all those who were able to pursue boosters. I was one in that ~10-20% range that suffered a vaccine injury from my 2nd Pfizer Dose (reported VAERS). It lowered my baseline substantially (increased PEM, increased orthostatic intolerance). My fiancee and I can hardly believe my pre-vaccine baseline to post-vaccine baseline. Barely recognizable. Just crazy that a day 2-CPET across the country (in the USA) I did just fine with, but a vaccine nearly 19 months ago decimated my ME/CFS to something I never recognized.

Until this point, it's been one of the defining moments in my life (almost surpassing when I first got sick in 2017 to be transparent) that I'll never understand.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  14. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just had my Covid vaccine booster this morning, 4th injection, Pfizer, about two hours ago, along with the annual flue jab. Neither arm has any discomfort or stiffness so far, and I am feeling only slightly weird but otherwise OK. Fingers crossed.

I have heard of four or five otherwise healthy people in their forties and fifties reacting badly to their boosters over the last few weeks, but don’t know which type they have had. Not sure if this is just coincidence, as none of the older people I know who had their booster a month or two ago had any problems, or if it is an issue relating the the current vaccine(s) being used here in England.

Ariel, MeSci, Lilas and 8 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

Now 8 days since I had mine punched arm only no symptoms. ME wise I’ve been ok. The jab hasn’t affected my gradual return to my normal after my covid infection

Ariel, MeSci, Lilas and 7 others like this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not strictly COVID but I talked with my parents recently about the uptick in respiratory viruses, especially with my mother having lung issues (that predate COVID).

The flu is also especially bad but my father said he won't take the vaccine because the last time he had a horrible reaction, was sick for weeks after. This is impossible to discuss with physicians, so it probably never does, or gets dismissed immediately. My father is pushing the high-risk age and is making this calculation.

It's such a missed opportunity to study this at all. Instead it's constantly minimized as a reflex because perception management is more important than informed consent. Medicine is more focused on imagined anxieties they project onto us than on real problems, based on pseudoscience and flawed evidence.

This is really a lousy way to do health.

Ariel, Amw66, mango and 4 others like this.
  17. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fourth Covid shot scheduled for Dec 1. Since it's on my mind, I'll give my prior experiences.
    I tolerated the vaccine perfectly and didn't have an unusual negative side effects.
    • 1st shot: No effect on daily life. Had a sore arm and a tiny amount of joint pain.
    • 2nd shot: Made me feel sick for a night. I felt feverish and went to bed early. I was fine the next day.
    • 3rd shot: No negative effect on daily life. Just had a sore arm. Had a dramatic near-remission of my illness lasting a week.
    For shots 1 and 2, I didn't know I was chronically so I didn't notice any change in my symptoms. At least some vaccines seem to make me feel dramatically better for a short time. Gardasil did it as well.

AliceLily, Ariel, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  18. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And me. I mean, to the point where I've seriously considered looking for a dealer. :laugh:

Hope your next one is equally good.

AliceLily, Ariel, TigerLilea and 6 others like this.
  19. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My vaccination experiences were awful. I've had three and been advised by my GP in response to a letter from an A and E Consultant to have no more. One was OKish- that was AZ2 but I still had awful reactions for a couple of weeks just not as bad as the others.

V3 was I think the most frightening experience of my life. I thought I was dying and the way I was rushed on a trolley from the hospital vaccine centre to A and E suggested med staff were worried. I have had every vaccine going without any negative reaction until covid.

So I thought it a good point to provide a link to Hansard, recording where adverse effects were discussed in Parliament recently, in response to a petition that received over 100,000 votes. Very little attention has been given to this issue. Maybe this is the beginning; maybe it's the beginning and end.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...4BDB-A5E0-D6D4B82B2888/Covid-19VaccinesSafety

AliceLily, Ariel, Lilas and 7 others like this.
  20. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sitting in bay after booster. Pfeitzer again .
    Hardly a mask in site save medical staff.

I asked re Novavax and was advised this was being used only for people with allergies.

I probably have a wonky understanding of vaccines, but isn't this basically " all spike protein" - I would have thought ( probably wrongly) that this might be more problematic ?