1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the history, @SNT Gatchaman. I find people’s early stages of illness interesting, because so often advice to keep exercising is followed weeks or months later by a prolonged crash and long term disability. It's good to hear your health has improved following the crash. I hope improvement continues for you.

AliceLily, MeSci, Helene and 7 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Trish and yes of course I meant to say in the above that my symptom deterioration may have been inevitable and nothing to do with vaccination.

AliceLily, Lilas, Helene and 2 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's been 16 days since my Omicron booster (On Dec. 1). The positive side effects have kicked in at comparable frequency to the previous vaccines, albeit with more delay than I expected.
    When I got the shot, I had no side effects except a mildly sore arm.
    Gradually I found myself feeling better. Thinking more clearly and faster.
    On December 15, I played hockey and went ice skating afterwards, so 3 hours of intense physical activity. I had PEM afterwards (feeling good immediately afterwards, but increasing exhaustion over the next several hours). I expected to be incapacitated for the next several days.
    Instead, the next day, I felt good enough to take on a home-improvement project. I ran Ethernet cable from my router in the living room down to my basement office. I was again completely exhausted afterwards, but whether it's PEM or fatigue is arguable.
    But when I woke up today, I feel sharp and able to do more. It feels like my energy level is somewhat resetting in the morning, which is a downright bizarre feeling. I think we're gonna bake some cookies and have some eggnog.

(I'm educated on the risks of exercise and LTSE. As I've never experienced LTSE, occasional recreational exercise is within my personal health risk tolerance.)

Ariel, AliceLily, Wits_End and 4 others like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't sure what LTSE was, but a search on this site says that it's Long term symptom exacerbation.

AliceLily likes this.
  5. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This morning I went to get my 5th dose of Covid vaccine and was told at the pharmacy that there was no 5th dose. So it looks like from now on I am not as protected.

Has anyone heard whether there will be another round of vaccines in the near future? I'm in New Zealand

Trish, hibiscuswahine and Ariel like this.
  6. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just had Medsafe provisional approval, (end of last month), for the bivalent in NZ as read here
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...ovisional-approval-for-pfizer-omicron-vaccine

Other papers have said the government want to roll it up by winter but it is in the next stage of planning….
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/polit...inistry-of-health/C3M5QTJ7PJF2JPSF3CDLRLRLDI/

Better get their skates on…they have closed all the public mass vaccination centres in my large urban area. For my booster (4th Pfizer dose, late last year), the booking system was a shambles…the pharmacy didn’t have a vaccinator and had to travel 20km to the next one….fortunately it was a walk in and could have it immediately.

Binkie4, Trish and AliceLily like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The latest booster is being rolled out here in Australia, and I had mine yesterday (Pfizer version), which is my fifth Covid vax overall and my third booster shot (and second Pfizer).

My worst reaction so far. Had a rough night and feeling very sore and tired today. Already had two extra sleeps today, and it is only just past noon. :ill::yuck::grumpy:

Did have a busy week (by my standards) before getting it, and was already feeling a bit more run down than usual, so that probably didn't help.

Interestingly, I could feel it coming on before I even got home.

Hopefully this is the worst of it and it improves from here. *fingers crossed*

8. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do they vaccinate everyone this time around? Here in Canada the new booster is offered to people 60 and over.

9. Sean

All adults are eligible at this stage, I think. How many of them take it up remains to be seen.

Also, early evening here now and I am feeling considerably better. Not back to normal, but at this rate should be there in a day or so.

AliceLily, Milo, Lilas and 6 others like this.
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had my 4th December 5th and was told they would call in 5 months for my next shot.

AliceLily, Lilas, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  11. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I understand the next booster here in the UK will not be offered to everyone, just those in the high risk category.

This I find worrying, given I have managed to get this far without having had any Covid infection.

Wits_End, AliceLily, Sean and 4 others like this.
  12. Mij

I contracted Covid or influenza on December 4th and got a home visit vaccination(4th dose) on December 5th, the very next morning. :nailbiting: I didn't know I caught something until later that evening when I started coughing and sore throat. My head felt like I was in outer space. Thank goodness I declined the flu vax.

This could be why I had such a terrible reaction when I went out power walking one month later when I felt recovered. I wasn't able to stand or walk the next morning for the next 3 weeks.

I'm very nervous about getting my 5th dose.

13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm definitely done with vaccines. All vaccines! I've lost the last two years of my life to adverse reactions to the covid vaccines and after having the flu vaccine in December, I'm heading towards being bed bound if things continue as they have the past month.

Sisyphus, Laurie P, Binkie4 and 10 others like this.
  14. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:broken_heart::heart:

Laurie P, Binkie4, Wits_End and 8 others like this.
  15. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've finally managed to convince my GP that I should be able to get the booster here (UK). It's taken some persuasion, I wrote a letter to them at Christmas outlining that the 3 Covid infections in 2022 had left my health worse and taken me to the brink of not being able to work (PT WFH). So they've agreed.
    The problem is that I'm still too ill from Decembers infection to want to risk having a booster shot as they've always made me ill (akin to you @Sean). I think I've waited so long now that the window has closed for the 22/23 booster.
    Probably have to start again with making the argument this winter. I think I will have a booster if I can get it, and I have enough in the tank to cope with the type of reaction I usually get to it.
    Really empathise with those who have bad reactions to it, and other vaccines.

16. Mij

I'm so sorry that things haven't turned around :(

I ditched the triple layer cloth masks b/c it didn't protect me and now only wearing respirator N95 from now on.

17. Sean

Anything less than a well fitting N95/P2 standard is basically a waste of time, IMHO.

JemPD, Mij, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  18. Sean

re vaccine

Still not back to normal. Some headaches, sore across the shoulders/neck/upper back, and sleep is worse than usual. But continuing to improve, and most of the way there, I think.

19. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am sorry @TigerLilea that you are still so ill after the vaccinations. I absolutely understand you deciding against more. I am sorry that the flu vaccine worsened things.

I am 75 so will be eligible for the next booster but I won't accept it. I reacted so severely to Pf within 10 mins and was rushed into A and E with soaring BP and HR, nausea, vomiting and collapse. It was terrifying and I couldn't face that again. There is a letter in my medical record from the A and E Consultant advising against further vacccination so I doubt that anyone will press me. I also reacted badly to AZ.

I am still troubled by the information about numbers of adverse reactions following vaccination. I do not know what to make of the information coming out and having had such a severe response myself such that the letter in my record said that a further vaccine could be fatal, I feel real concern for those still suffering or wondering what to do.

I actually feel extremely lucky that in the last 2-3 months, following changes to medication and cortisone shots in my knees and back, I have been able to increase my number of steps walked and stand for a little time. Very lucky. It's not a permanent improvement, already lessening but I have been glad of it. It felt for a long time that things were going the other way. I hope you start to improve soon @TigerLilea .

AliceLily, TigerLilea, Mij and 7 others like this.
  20. Mij

I agree and now that most people aren't wearing masks anymore it makes us more susceptible to infection. I dodged the bullet for a couple of years only wearing cloth masks, but this infection I caught last December was from being in a store with only 2 people for less than 15 minutes. I touched my face once b/c the nose clip on my mask was loose. I think that's what did it?

Sean, AliceLily, Laurie P and 2 others like this.