1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just thought I'd mention another family member with ME and I both got a Novavax booster in July and had basically no reaction compared to a couple of days feeling pretty sick from Pzifer & Moderna vaccines & boosters.
    I will get a bivalent booster when they become available to me in BC though for the extra protection.

2. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Helene. Glad that you tolerated it well. I need to find out if Novavax is being dispensed in UK, and then if I might be able to tolerate it perhaps in discussion with my immunologist.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The nurse has just visited and stuck needles in 4 arms. (flu and Pfizer Covid for me and my daughter). She said the flu one was tending to give people quite a strong reaction this year and to take paracetamol.
    Will report back in a few days on how we get on.

4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope you all get through the coming winter well.

I managed to not get a cold/flu or Covid during our NZ winter and I have been going out nearly every day catching a bus (short ride). I double masked up while out though. I also am not having visitors inside except for my brother and his family.

Lilas, Mij, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  6. AliceLily

I had to stay one night in hospital Friday night. I tried to wear a mask while sleeping but I couldn't bear it while trying to go off to sleep so I took it off and hoped for the best. It's been 5 days now so I think I would have had symptoms by now if I had been exposed.

Lilas, TigerLilea, Mij and 8 others like this.
  7. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had the same dilemma in hospital last year. The ventilation system was sucking air out at a great rate, if the roaring noise and the streamers near it were anything to go by, so I decided it was safe enough.

Lilas, ahimsa, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  8. AliceLily

@oldtimer Very memorable aren't they. lol. I spent quite a bit of time lying there trying to work out what all the noise was. I even wondered if the very sick patient next to me had some kind of loud medical equipment with her.

One thing I did pack into my night bag was a pair of ear plugs. So I put them on for a time during the night. I was waking up a lot though and I think I got up and made myself about 10 cups of tea during the time I was there.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    Lilas, TigerLilea, Mij and 6 others like this.
  9. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Got both the flu vaccine and the Pfizer hybrid yesterday. Transient feeling feverish, aching on top of FM ache, sore arm muscles. Wired. Better this morning.

The woman giving me the shots here in California was from Hertfordshire/Oxford and she consciously tones down her accent, running her words together American style, she said. Hard to assess that as she was wearing an N95.

MeSci, NelliePledge, Sean and 6 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Pretty mild reaction for both of us. 4 sore arms for a few days, I had a 24 hours of tired but wired, restless legs, a prickling pain sensation all over my body and a mild fever. Since then probably lower energy than usual, but that's hard to judge whether it's a normal ME fluctuation.

Edit to add. The nurse arrived without warning, wasn't wearing a mask and I didn't think in time for us to get masked up. She was only here for very few minutes, so hopefully OK.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    MeSci, NelliePledge, Sean and 8 others like this.
  11. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Caree had flu and Moderna bivalent jabs together, seemingly without any ill effects.

Mij, mango, Lilas and 6 others like this.
  12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

About 2 hours ago I had a moderna jab (no idea currently if it was bivalent - wasn't mentioned being) and a flu jab.

No significant side effects so far i.e. the initial side effects that happed within minutes of my other jabs have not happened.

Of course, bad out of sync nights sleep, coupled with having to get in to town by bus, with drivers who don't seem to understand how bus stops work, on top of having 'worked' yesterday (for maybe an hour, moving empty boxes down from the loft), means I am currently on the outskirts of toastville, heading into the center of town.

Yet another brilliant decision by me yesterday - but stuff has to be done, and an hour every week or so isn't cutting it. Just 'unfortunate' that todays jabs needed to happen.

ETA - okay, some side effects, minor; fatigue (actual fatigue so largely unfamiliar to this pwME), minor pain in left arm (covid vax side), breathlessness (of the type I've taken too much morphine and it's interfering with breathing, not in the sense of I've run too fast), minor weakness, and I've been 'sleeping' a lot today - but not in the same pattern as PEM would cause i.e. the time awake is longer but the being asleep still seems to be in the vast majority i.e. I have managed to watch a couple of hour long shows this afternoon, to the end, which doesn't happen with PEM shutdowns. Some joint pains. Mild myalgia.

In short; I'm a little ill ill - apart from the messy bits just like a mild case of flu. Pretty sure I was just given a vaccine to prevent my feeling like this, but...:rofl:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  13. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

AliceLily, Lilas, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  14. Mij

A local woman experiences breathlessness after her 4 jab recently. Is breathlessness a side effect?

Wonko and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had the Pfizer bivalent vaccine in the UK, (West Yorkshire), 4 days ago. It's the first Pfizer one I've had out of 4, (2 X Astra-Zeneca and 1 X Moderna), and I had a very sore arm and mild fever symptoms for about 36 hrs after. I feel back to 'normal' now. It was made very clear masks were mandatory and everyone appeared to be complying.

Sorry I can't really help other than provide basic info.

AliceLily, Lilas, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.
  16. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad your v worked out ok @SallyC .

AliceLily, MeSci, SallyC and 4 others like this.
  17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unasked for update;

After what I suspect is 3 days - no distinguishable side effects remaining from either my covid booster or flu shot.

Which isn't to say I feel 'normal' for me, I am still 'weak', achey, with easily upset-able joints (particularly ankles, fingers, and neck, or so it seems in this moment - basically lots, and lots, of warning signs, at rest) but this is just as likely to be caused by my current ridiculous need to do stuff, at a live snail's pace (vs a dead snails pace, the speed I more traditionally operate at).

I guess that, unsurprisingly, I cannot just bounce back, to being totally useless, from pushing myself to collapse, in a couple of days.

Which is 'disappointing'.

ETA - After reading one of the above posts; 1 person, other than staff, and I, was wearing a mask when I went to get vaccinated - out of 15-20, most of them seriously old. People here just don't take it seriously, even when requested, by signs, both in words and pictures, to do so.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    Binkie4, AliceLily, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  18. Mij

@Wonko

Did you get the flu and Covid shot at the same time? I'm considering getting both this time around.

Binkie4, Peter Trewhitt and Wonko like this.
  19. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got the Flu and bivariant Covid Pfizer jab yesterday. To my astonishment my GP did send someone to my home to do it, this GP is vastly better than my prior one! Its given me a bad headache today, I slept awful, I foolishly got them in opposite arms with Covid on the non-dominate arm and they are both swollen and weakened equally today.

20. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My daughter had her first vaccination (Pfizer) in September. She's not back to baseline, and as she dips in winter this may be the new normal.
    She has had a cold (never had one in past 3 years), muscles more achy, lymphs up, headaches worse, sleep poor and more delayed and period 3 weeks late.
    Crossing fingers that some aspects die down over time.

AliceLily, ahimsa, Lilas and 6 others like this.