1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 - Psychological research and treatment

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by obeat, Mar 23, 2020.

1. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be great if this crisis killed off behavioural sciences. Asking people to change behaviour doesn't work. Wessely and Gerada media appearances have been flipant.

This post was copied from this thread and some responses moved: Trial By Error: What Now?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2020
    alktipping, Snowdrop and MEMarge like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from cbt watch
    Corona Virus Response and Pathologising Normality
    http://www.cbtwatch.com/

3. Sly Saint

further post cbt watch
    Test Those With Symptoms – A Message From The Pandemic To IAPT
    29th March 2020
    full post http://www.cbtwatch.com/test-those-with-symptoms-a-message-from-the-pandemic-to-iapt/#comments

eta: I also imagine that given the flaky way that 'recovery' is currently assessed under IAPT that recovery figures will be even less reliable as long as the pandemic continues and beyond.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  4. Sly Saint

@dave30th maybe a good time to revise 'talk' about 'recovery'; ie the failings in BPS research, the unreliable scales/methods that are used and manipulated to get the results they want.
    Just imagine if said methods were used for something like Corona.

5. obeat

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    JaneL, ladycatlover, Sean and 7 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

saw this "Professor Cherie Armour" and immediately had Stevie Wonder singing in my head.

"The project follows research from Kings College London relating to the psychological impact of quarantine." link doesn't work
    "“One study reported that some longer lasting behavioural changes were seen such as vigilant hand washing and the avoidance of large crowds.”

er isn't that what we are being told to do ?

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Neurological symptoms appear to be quite significant with COVID. I have seen several threads by MDs talking about getting patients that initially presented with neurological signs and symptoms that would otherwise had been missed had they not asked the right questions. I have seen several mentioning syncope, dizziness, nausea, autonomic symptoms. And I only mean early symptoms here, not even mentioning how common they are in overall presentation.

The MUS/FND ideology becomes a serious liability here. Should people continue to ignore neurological symptoms? When in fact paying close attention to them may bring benefits to rapid diagnosis? Especially as there is no time for thorough diagnosis, not that that ever actually happens. Will COVID patients in prodromal phase be shunted to IAPT, told to ignore their symptoms even as they become more prominent? Told to explore their emotions even as ignoring the neurological symptoms could be a threat to those around them?

Psychosomatics never consider the consequences of being wrong. It simply does not exist in their worldview. They are so assured of the infallibility of their beliefs that they can't even consider being wrong anymore, that it's all in the past or only has trivial consequences (nevermind how common it is for people with neurological diseases to be dismissed for years). It already was a chronic public health crisis but now it has become an acute public health crisis.

There truly has never been a better time to shut the whole thing down, even under false pretenses, and just allow everyone to save face while never having to admit it was a failure. Complete waste of resources, same with other attempts in some countries to push the FND angle or whatever. Those ideologies are a systemic weakness in addressing a pandemic where some patients may only present with mild neurological symptoms and where shunting them down the rabbit hole of psychomagics assures they will present a threat to the whole population.

alktipping, Wits_End, Anna H and 5 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, as much as I imagine people dutifully washing their hands as instructed, somehow I really doubt anyone is doing it while watching over their shoulders, checking every corner and with a plan of escape in case of... what exactly? Karate-chop the virus? Flamethrow those droplets? Dart unsuspecting people not taking precautions?

Why is it that clinical psychology always changes the meaning of common words? And I wish I were using literally here in the wrong sense but seriously, it pretty much literally always does so. Or at least introduce superfluous variations of those words.

Hell, even avoidance seems odd.
    People are just following basic common sense instructions. Unless they don't mean the clinical psychology meaning but that's not clear at all. Seems to indicate a belief that people will develop a pathological version of that behavior, the same way rats can be taught to force others not to touch the button that shocks the entire cage, even not knowing why but simply because they learned the behaviors from others who socked them in the head.

No wonder they're struggling with communication when it comes to us. They violate all the main rules of clear communication, mainly: be clear in your words and don't make stuff up. Ugh, this is why we can't have nice things.

Somehow I think I could actually write the conclusion for them. Maybe this will be mildly competent for a change but that would be a rare thing.

9. obeat

There will be an avalanche of psychological research because it's fast, cheap and the media love the overly simplistic conclusions.

alktipping, Gecko, JaneL and 15 others like this.
  10. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I expect the Weasel will be busy. As it is my daily Simon Wessely alert from Google shows he seems to be being quoted in newspapers around the world. Bet he's lapping it up.

alktipping, Anna H, Arnie Pye and 6 others like this.
  11. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone else get psych research fatigue?

No one is interested in hearing about & providing practical help and support, but falling over themselves to provide psych support once they fail to provide the practical support you need.

Honestly, it's gotten to the point I expect a pop up ad for psych research to somehow appear every time I open an flippin' envelope!

Golgafrinchams!

P.S I know there are some really good psychs out there. I do. Marks, Wiltshire, Hughes etc. This isn't aimed at you.

12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't get it - this isn't 'isolation' like solitary confinement, even if you live alone like I do.

This is simply not being able to go out on a whim.

If people really need to go out they are allowed to.

TV's and the internet exist, unlike when in solitary confinement.

Mildly frustrating on occasion, but not psychologically damaging.

13. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nope, thought I was done, but I'm back....

I thought locking yourself up alone in your house and not doing anything, having stuff delivered, not having to work, watching as much TV or reading as many books as you'd like [edit - or in our case are able to] were all secondary benefits of being ill and as such perpetuated illness beliefs.

Suddenly, when it's happening to a non ME population, it's possibly detrimental to one's mental wellbeing.

So, once again, a field capable of holding two conflicting theories in the same time and space in their heads - it's a delightful luxury for us, but it's torture for others.

14. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only thing that has changed in my life currently are the peaceful quiet streets downtown. Everyday feels like Sunday. I'm enjoying it. I have only been outside twice (grocery shopping) in the last month. I wanted to go out for my regular walks in the evenings but the dead silence feels a little too spooky for me.

15. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Everyone's stopped trying to talk to me - it's a great improvement, for me, that there is no longer any expectation or requirement to 'engage' with complete strangers, that it's actively discouraged.

alktipping, JaneL, Wits_End and 9 others like this.
  16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My hairstylist sent out an email 2 weeks ago reassuring us that he has taken every precaution to keep his 'salon suite' completely disinfected, and that he is open for business. He rents a 'suite' so there is only him and his client. This would be the ideal time to go because he's an exhaustive talker and now he would be silent, possibly wearing a mask? In the past I have left his salon feeling completely exhausted from talking, but now I don't feel comfortable going there, let alone sitting in a chair with him talking downwards. Not good, even with a mask.

17. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We had a severe foodborn illness outbreak with e. coli in Germany in 2011. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Germany_E._coli_O104:H4_outbreak

There was a european conference of psychosomatic medicine in denmark in 2012. One lecture at this conference was about:
    „Psychosomatic outcome after infection with shiga-toxin-producing Escherichia Coli O104 (EHEC): Six months after the large EHEC-outbreak in Germany“
    „Although most patients recovered well from gastrointestional,
    nephrological, and neurological symptoms, a substantial number of patients developed new complaints such as irritable bowel syndrome or fatigue.“
    I copied this at this time from a list with abstracts. I don't have a reference anymore because the link to this pdf is dead.

These patients had a very severe and well documented infectious desease. Nevertheless this didn't stop claims that the ongoing health problems of these patients are psychosomatic.:grumpy:

alktipping, JaneL, Woolie and 11 others like this.
  18. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My autistic grandson has perked right up :)

His 6 foot distance from people walking the dog is the new normal and no one is "being helpful" and encouraging, read nagging him to do things he isn't comfortable about. (The other side of the family is not understanding about autism!)

19. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bah sucks - I've started to have visitors!

I have a lovely neighbour (next door but not the attached one) who I occasionally talk to if I happen to see her when I'm in the front garden. I happened to mention that my daughter had received the NHS 'shielding' letter as my carer. I don't mind neighbours knowing this as it actually helps them to see me as seriously ill (whereas I keep the fact that I have M.E. quiet due it being so misunderstood).

The next day another (actually also very nice) neighbour called by to check if I was okay and whether I needed anything (he did leave adequate distance after knocking on my door). This has never happened before! I do love living in a small hamlet, but it makes me realise I have been sensible to keep my 'secrets' (such as being autistic and having M.E.) quiet - the grapevine is very active!

alktipping, JaneL, Anna H and 7 others like this.
  20. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CONSTANT VIGILANCE! @lunarainbows

alktipping and Arnie Pye like this.