1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on mask-wearing to protect against Covid-19

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Hip, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2021
    ahimsa, Michelle and ladycatlover like this.
  2. Wits_End

ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Morrisons have just announced they will not allow anyone in their stores without a facemask (unless they are medically exempt). I thought this was supposed to be the case months ago!
    I despair.
    No one should be allowed in shops without facemasks, including children and staff even if they are 'exempt'.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Michelle and Wonko like this.
  4. Wits_End

I think the problem is determining whether someone is medically exempt - until now, they've rather had to assume that if anyone is not wearing a mask it's because they're exempt, whereas now it sounds as though they may actually be challenged for evidence (I'm told you can buy "exemption cards" on Amazon :( ). I suspect it might be breaking the Equalities Act to refuse someone access to a shop because they're not wearing a mask, in case they had some sort of mental health problem which meant they couldn't cope with wearing one.

Michelle likes this.
  5. Wits_End

6. Wits_End

Face mask warning as scientists find dangerous chemical exposure in some coverings

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle...-coverings/ar-BB1fdjvL?ocid=ASUDHP&li=AAnZ9Ug

The implication is that the masks in question are "surgical" masks, but this isn't altogether clear.

JemPD, Daisymay, Nellie and 2 others like this.
  7. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The C.D.C. now says it is safe for fully vaccinated people to take their masks off in most indoor settings.T

Regarding my post #461
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/covid-19-vaccines-and-vaccinations.18066/page-24#post-344804
    and
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...ied-these-mask-rules-for-everyone/ss-BB1gNhdv

I'm so mad. I don't know why they couldn't have waited awhile longer on how they are going about not wearing masks.

I just watched Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC being questioned on a news show and have read other she has said. This that the CDC put out about not needing to wear masks if vaccinated is going to be so dangerous for many.

I couldn't tell if she is really that naive or blind about the reality of what this is or is hiding that she knows she made an error in how she handled this or if this is political in some ways.

She seems to miss and not hear the gravity of this to many, when questioned, and she glosses it over with other. Her responses have given me more insight into the mind of some of the workings of CDC and the ways I've been frustrated with them over the years and during this pandemic.

How are we to know anywhere and with not enough of the country vaccinated whether the person not wearing a mask is vaccinated or not?

I know part of this is a push to try to get more people to get vaccinated yet it's being handled wrong and a denial of realities.

She speaks of people doing the right thing and people making the right decisions to protect those around them. Also business and local governments.

Are you kidding. Where has she been? Local governments have made very bad decisions around this and have denied the realities. And individuals, so many haven't worn masks during this pandemic. Having mask mandates in businesses and places has been what has kept each of us safer.

Also many business and living situations, won't do what they need to do to protect, even more so will it be now with a statement about masks such as the CDC's. :arghh: :mad: :cry:

(Too fatigued to proof again. Hope it reads alright, I kept adding things.)

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Hutan, TigerLilea, Wits_End and 7 others like this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The whole 'if you've been vaccinated it doesn't matter if you have symptoms you can't spread it' line is 'suspect' IMO.

If someone has symptoms then that probably means that the virus has been able to replicate (i.e. that you are infected with the virus and it's managing to replicate, or you wouldn't have symptoms) and that the virus will be being 'shed' as part of it's normal life cycle, and that it will therefore be transmissible.

Saying otherwise seems likely to be misinformation.

Quite why they are coming out and saying such things, attempting to steer the public in this manner is not clear to me.

boolybooly, Hutan, Wits_End and 10 others like this.
  9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The US is calling it 'the honor system'. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

We are still in an 8 week stay-at-home order lockdown. On Saturday there was a HUGE rally of 'freedom fighters' and "anti-mask' rebels all glued to together like sardines w/o masks.

Canada is only 3% fully vaccinated.

Hutan, Michelle, Yessica and 3 others like this.
  10. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The CDC's new mask (or unmask) guidance means I am supposed to trust that people who for over 14 months have been denying the science and not taking precautions will now be responsible and honest about their vaccination status?

11. Yessica

So sorry @Mij! :hug:

Thank you for writing that. I'm needing to get on a letter writing mission regarding this to try to help protect at least some of us in some places. Using the words "the honor system" will help for some of what I need to say.

Wits_End, Mij, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  12. zzz

zzz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is a fascinating article from Wired explaining a lot about why the initial WHO guidance (as well as the CDC guidance) about managing COVID-19 was so dreadfully wrong. It was this error that was one of the central reasons that mask wearing was not emphasized as early as it should have been.

The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

adambeyoncelowe, JaneL, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  13. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@zzz Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing. :)

14. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @zzz . A really worthwhile read!

JaneL and Yessica like this.
  15. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Masks look like they should work, but that’s not the same thing is actually working. Where I live there was a mask mandate both indoors and outdoors and pretty high compliance. It was still one of the worst spots in the USA for infections.

It seems like a good deal of virus output is in the form of Particles small enough to hang in the air for a while, so if you’re indoors the stuff slowly builds up and floats around on subtle indoor air currents. This theory would explain why my metropolis of multiunit buildings had high infection rate even while under lockdown. They locked people into their closed buildings with the virus.

Edit: Perhaps masks work to an extent, but not enough to counteract the high viral output and its super contagious quality.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Yessica, oldtimer and Wonko like this.
  16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Basic masks should have been a no-brainer on precautionary & historical grounds alone. They are very low cost, easy to make and distribute, involve zero medical risk, have high plausibility, and the potential benefits are huge.

Even if they only reduced transmission by say 20% that is still a big win in public health terms, for effectively zero cost/risk.

17. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think one of the issues is that people dont seem to wear them properly, even the N95 masks are worn loosely with big gaps on either side of the nose, so they slip down to the very tip of the nose because the wire isnt pressed tightly, & massive gaping gaps at the sides of the face on most surgical masks. Plus the constant slippage because they not worn properly & then the consequent repeated touching of them (with dirty hands on the area of the mask which is right where it will be breathed in), which is something i see all the time, even by personnel who've supposedly been taught better...it drives me crazy.

Also i was in the dentist on monday and they were getting people to take off perfectly good N95 type masks, indoors & then put on surgical masks from a pile on the table which had been exposed to the air in there for several hours/days & quite possibly contaminated.

Masks effectiveness is about a lot more than the level of filtration.

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/05/19/science.abg6296

19. Wits_End

Trish, Sean, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  20. Yessica