1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Could the kynurenine pathway be the key missing piece of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) complex puzzle?, 2022, Kavyani

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex and debilitating disease with a substantial social and economic impact on individuals and their community. Despite its importance and deteriorating impact, progresses in diagnosis and treatment of ME/CFS is limited. This is due to the unclear pathophysiology of the disease and consequently lack of prognostic biomarkers. To investigate pathophysiology of ME/CFS, several potential pathologic hallmarks have been investigated; however, these studies have failed to report a consistent result. These failures in introducing the underlying reason for ME/CFS have stimulated considering other possible contributing mechanisms such as tryptophan (TRP) metabolism and in particular kynurenine pathway (KP). KP plays a central role in cellular energy production through the production of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH). In addition, this pathway has been shown to mediate immune response and neuroinflammation through its metabolites. This review, we will discuss the pathology and management of ME/CFS and provide evidence pertaining KP abnormalities and symptoms that are classic characteristics of ME/CFS. Targeting the KP regulation may provide innovative approaches to the management of ME/CFS.

Open access, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00018-022-04380-5

MSEsperanza, Ravn, Trish and 4 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Betteridge's law of headlines suggests no.

edit - seriously, the title of the article is a bit misleading given the content that discusses a whole lot of other things.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    FMMM1, MSEsperanza, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  3. DMissa

DMissa Established Member (Voting Rights)

A couple of things.

1) (related) Since I could not see author contributions listed in this paper and I am in the author list, FYI I was asked to write a mitochondrial section for this paper while I was going through a severe period of physical disability last year and early this year - so my contribution is limited to dictating out the mitochondrial section.

2) (unrelated) I had recently said I would stay away from s4me to give people the space to be totally candid in their discussion of work relating to me. Honestly, a lot has changed for me lately. Between the aforementioned health issues, a bit of maturing, and some growth as a scientist, I have come to some realisations:

-fierce motivation to combat misunderstood disability strengthened by my lived experience. I want to participate in and advocate for research + discussion that is genuinely productive. People living through this evil thing deserve decisive action and solutions. Since there so much that I can learn from you folks, it would be more productive for me to absorb your comments than to remain removed. Having seen recent discussion in other threads I'm pretty confident that the chance of my presence won't actually be a barrier to open discourse. If I ever write or do something that isn't great, please don't hesitate. I want to be the most useful scientist I can be. I need your help for that. I'm only at the start of my journey. Many of you have been doing this longer than I've been alive.

4. Snow Leopard

One of the criticisms of the mitochondrial section is the lack of discussion about whether respirometry, gene expression and proteomics of PBMCs is even relevant atl all. Aside from the comment at the end "If present in cell types or bodily tissues other than immune cells..."

There is no fundamental reason why the metabolic processes in muscle fibres or in the brain during activity has anything to do with the metabolism of PBMCs due to not only being different cell types, but the importance of physiologically relevant microevironments. This is doubly so when the cells have been cultured before testing.
    I mean I can understand if one was trying to link a metabolic problem of specific PBMCs (and given the hypothesis in the article - say: microglia and macrophages) with disturbed function and in turn demonstrate specific altered physiological pathology. But no one has gone to those lengths empirically.

But for the article overall, in general, any sort of hypothetical model needs to predict actual physiological dysfunction that coincides with symptom kinetics as well as a demonstrable feedback mechanism for chronic perpetuation. The only thing in the paper along those lines is the claim of "loss of glial cells and neurones" but the actual explanation is rather vague.

While there is some indirect evidence, such as the cited KA/QA ratio, the effect itself was quite weak and probably not a sensitive predictor. Testing CSF might be interesting, but it begs the question as to why such an effect hasn't already been found in prior CSF studies.

Such as the following study from 1992 that tested CSF from CFS patients (why wasn't this cited!?!?!?!?)
    "Quinolinic Acid and Kynurenine Pathway metabolism in Inflammatory and non-inflammatory neurological disease"
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1422788/

And in fact they did find increased QA in CSF. Hmm!

Another (uncited) study that tested serum of patients:
    "Isoprenoid pathway dysfunction in chronic fatigue syndrome"
    https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...gue-syndrome/169077A0E9F69764D94E1781F552686F

There might be more, but that's it for now.

Also, both seem to be missing from the similar and recently published article that Daniel didn't contribute to:
    "The Role of Kynurenine Pathway and NAD+ Metabolism in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9116917/

Simon M, FMMM1, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  5. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@DMissa , perhaps you can comment on my hypothesis about dietary niacin causing suicidal moods. I started getting suicidal moods soon after developing ME. I eventually figured out that the severity correlated with both TRP and dietary niacin. So, my hypothesis is that ME causes elevated QA, which causes suicidal moods, and that in the absence of dietary niacin, the cells produce more enzyme to convert QA to NAD, thus reducing QA levels. Taking a niacin tablet would then reduce production of that enzyme, and QA would build up. IIRC, the mood change occurred hours after the niacin tablet (or food); certainly less than a day.

Ravn and merylg like this.
  6. DMissa

Thanks Snowy. I can always count on you for this kind of useful scrutiny. And yes, you are right - there is no intrinsic reason for a link. Multi-system epigenetic changes could be one explanation if a phenotypic pattern is present across multiple body systems/tissue types. Currently pursuing work with other tissue types and also epigenetics work to test this. Once everything is better characterised across the other sample types and epigenetics, etc, we can think in greater detail about physiological implications (If there are any physiological implications!). I would not want to stretch the results from this one sample type towards whole-body physiological conclusions. I think I have tried my best to avoid this in the past.

With regard to specifics, by my own admission - I feel that much of my thinking during my PhD tunnel-visioned too closely on cellular function as I learned all of those details along the way. Working to get better at this and to work now with a greater awareness of physiological context. A lot of this reflection was actually prompted by your comments that I had seen over recent years as well as by others here, so thank you.

Hey there Creekside, thanks for sharing these insights but unfortunately I don't feel qualified to really comment about this.

Simon M, Michelle, Lilas and 12 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Very sorry to hear that you have been unwell @DMissa. I hope you are feeling much better. Thank you for being here and your very helpful attitude to patient engagement. It lifts my sprints to see a researcher thinking in this way.

I haven't read this paper yet, but I wanted to make what might seem to be a fairly petty comment. There seems to have been no proofreading done of the abstract.

Taking it line by line:
    There is no need to qualify who the impact is on - there is a substantial impact on society and the economy, not just on individuals and their community

'Deteriorating impact' - does the impact of ME/CFS lessen over time? Or is it being suggested that a feature of the disease is deterioration over time - that's not really true. Progresses>> spelling

Needs a 'the'

Needs a 'the'. 'pathologic' isn't right. The sentence is wordy and would be better written without the first phrase. Hallmarks is an odd word to use. A lot more potential biomarkers have been investigated than 'several'.

The first phrase is wordy, and actually its idea is redundant, because the failure was mentioned in the preceding sentence. 'stimulated considering of' isn't grammatically correct, and another 'the' is needed.

I'd like a 'the' for KP.

No need for 'in addition..' - it is ok added to the previous sentence.

There's a missing 'In' and, ironically, a 'the' should not be there. I am puzzled by the very wide scope - suddenly the abstract tells me that management of ME/CFS is going to be covered, which at present has nothing to do with the kynurenine pathway. The authors say they will discuss the pathology when they have already told us that we don't know the cause of ME/CFS - they should instead be saying that they are proposing a hypothesis. The sentence suggests evidence relating to 'symptoms that are classic characteristics of ME/CFS' is going to be provided, when I think the intention is probably to tie ME/CFS symptoms to a proposed KP etiology. 'Pertaining' has to have a 'to'.

_____
    Some typos are fine in pre-prints but this paper is fully published. Problems of this scale, in every sentence, and with some extremely obvious mistakes, make me think that none of the authors, the peer reviewers or the editor cared enough to proofread the paper. This paper has a lot of authors who have English as a first language and would have been able to spot the problems - clearly the quality control processes fell down in multiple places.

I also think someone needed to think more about carefully about what this paper is about and what it is trying to do. A clear and relevant abstract could have been written in about half the words. It felt as though the first author of this paper needed a chat with a supervisor to clarify and tighten the scope.

I'm sure the result is that lots of people will just assume that there can't be much of any importance in the paper, and won't bother to read it. If the abstract had instead just said that the evidence for the hypothesis that the KP pathway is involved in the pathology of ME/CFS was evaluated, and then gave its conclusion and suggested some further research that should be done, that would be a paper I would want to read.

I've talked to researchers, including one you work with, about the forum providing private spaces for researchers to have a few members provide feedback on their draft papers or research protocols. There hasn't been much interest to date.

FMMM1, MSEsperanza, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hi @DMissa. Thank you for being here and engaging with us. The more researchers we have joining in here, the more we all learn productively.

Simon M, FMMM1, Ali and 11 others like this.
  9. DMissa

Thank you, Hutan. I am glad to take part in whichever way is appropriate and productive. The driver for why we work in this field should always be community centred... wanting people to get better. I try to osmose this mentality to new students.

I will raise this tomorrow.

I think there is a traditional mentality of keeping things under wraps until final in science. I understand why it is necessary in many cases (eg: non-final data or conclusions, confidentiality/IP, lack of time, etc), but there's probably a balance to be struck here. Perhaps as times change this kind of crosstalk will become more commonplace. It can also be kind of anxiety-inducing at times (well, for me), so maybe that's a factor. I'm really not sure.

I appreciate your kind nature as always. I agree that the crosstalk is very important for productive research and learning. Every avenue for getting this thing figured out as soon as we can should be utilised.

10. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sort of wish that @Hutan would have put a trigger warning thing on her post to force me to read through the entire abstract before I read through her post to see what I would have noticed.

1) yes it’s important to have a concise, well written abstract.

2) Not a defense, but sometimes the abstract is the last thing written — https://harzing.com/blog/2020/06/writing-your-abstract-not-a-last-minute-activity
    and doesn’t get the scrutiny the rest of the paper does. Sometimes there are many versions of the abstract depending on the journal word count/format. Maybe an earlier version of the abstract had a lower word count and the author realized s/he could add an additional ~50 words and did this without concurrence of the other authors.

3) The journal itself does have some responsibility for catching typos as the journals have proof readers.

11. Snow Leopard

Next time one of your colleagues complains about "reviewer #2" being too critical of their paper, remind them that patient reviews of their peer-reviewed manuscript are often much harsher. ;)

Simon M, AndroidEeyore, FMMM1 and 8 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Because the quality of the research, and the likelihood of it influencing the understanding of ME/CFS for the better matters deeply to us. Whereas for Reviewer #2, and Reviewer #1, it's often just a matter of getting the peer review done quickly, so they can cross it off the list of jobs to do.

Edit to add: They also often want or need to avoid risking upsetting their colleagues with any substantive criticism, as those colleagues will probably be peer-reviewing their next paper. Whereas we are rarely so constrained.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    Simon M, FMMM1, Michelle and 12 others like this.
  13. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, that could be so valuable, but as @DMissa notes, trust and non-disclosure would have to be tightly established. I guess we can only stick our hands up and wait to be independently invited to review via a shared Word document or similar. Perhaps we all just need an app - "it's like Uber but for peer review" :nailbiting:

Simon M, FMMM1, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  14. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry to hear you had a tough time @DMissa. Ill health/disability sucks.

But glad to see you back and really appreciate your openness and willingness to engage.

Like others here I got confused reading the paper. The title made me expect a hypothesis paper but the the first half or more was essentially a stand-alone review of the current state of affairs, and there've been a few of those lately. So this part of the paper could have been shortened significantly by referring to one of the recent reviews and/or heavily summarising. All we really need to know from this section is that we don't know much with any certainty and therefore any reasonable and testable hypothesis that may guide future research is potentially useful.

A more concise review section - and one focused primarily on existing KP research - would have given more room to flesh out the KP hypothesis section of the paper.

I've only skimmed that part of the paper so far, partly because I'd run out of reading spoons by the time I got there and partly because I don't have the biochemical knowledge to judge the hypothesis itself anyway. However, I did notice two important things missing.

1) A clear outline of how to test the hypothesis.

2) An explanation of how the hypothesis accounts for delayed PEM. PEM (though not the delay aspect) is mentioned in the review part of the paper (mostly by Daniel :thumbsup:) but there's no mention of PEM at all in the hypothesis section.

Speaking more generally, both omissions have been notable features in other recent hypothesis papers, too. The standard model for ME hypothesis papers seems to be to try and force-fit every finding or observation ever made in ME, no matter how tenuous, into a greater whole - but with the glaring omission of delayed PEM.

Poorly defined PEM may or may not get a vague mention along the lines of 'ROS may explain PEM' (but how? by what mechanism?) but that's about it. This puzzles me. Authors spend a great deal of energy on trying to account in detail for all manner of weak and contradictory 'evidence' in their hypotheses, no matter the quality and reliability of the original studies, yet they ignore the arguably weirdest and most specific phenomenon in ME.

And finally the section on testing the hypothesis typically stretches to little more than a perfunctory paragraph of vagueness.

Ok, so maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit to make my point, but not by an awful lot I don't think.

There's nothing wrong with big picture hypotheses. They're important and necessary. It's equally important and necessary to go back to the detail frequently to check the building blocks are solid and, importantly, to replace them if they're not. We need both. Just like we need people to look at dysfunction at all levels of the organism - and talk to each other about their ideas and findings. Temporary tunnel vision can be a good thing, it helps get the detail right. What needs to be avoided is blindly going down rabbit holes, something that can happen to big picture just as easily as to detail-oriented folks if they don't talk enough to sufficiently many people outside their own echo chamber.

I consider your "tunnel-vision" focus on cellular function to be an important contribution to the overall process @DMissa, don't be hard on yourself. The question 'what sort of mitochondrial dysfunction, if any, is there in ME' is an important one to answer with good data. Once we're on solid ground we can look both up- and downstream. What could cause this type of dysfunction and how can we test if our guess is correct? And the other way, what sort of effects would this sort of dysfunction have at the molecular, cellular, tissue, organ and body level and how can we test for these effects? Do we actually see them in pwME? Clearly, that's too much to ask any one individual researcher to answer. But that's what collaborations are for, including with patients. So thanks again for having the courage to engage Daniel :).
    Trigger warning ;) plenty more examples to be found in the rest of the paper should you wish to test you proofreading abilities.

15. Hutan

I've just got around to reading some of the paper. The abstract is a fair indication - it's a real mess of misinformation throughout. One of the authors, Gilles Guillemin was promoting the paper on Linked In as great team work, and I have to wonder, has he even read it? What for example has the following got to do with the kynurenine pathway?:
    Richard Schloeffel, the GP specialising in ME/CFS who has come in for criticism on this forum, is an author of the paper. The paper's long section on ME/CFS treatments seems to provide some insight into what he believes are available treatments:
    Here for example are the non-pharmacological remedies reported as currently available for cognitive difficulties:
    Schloeffel is Emerge's medical director, and, well, I shake my head in despair.
    We should not have to put up with papers from Australian teams with members experienced in ME/CFS suggesting that Bioresonance therapy is a treatment worth mentioning for pain, or the following are treatments for fatigue
    (I scarcely know which treatment to highlight as most ridiculous)
    Almost every claim about studies showing various supplements as being useful is wrong.

There's this about B-cells:
    After a discussion about Rituximab there's this:

And then there's this:
    @Simone, how does Emerge reconcile Schloeffel's role as the organisation's medical director with him putting his name to all of this?

I understand that the authors might feel that the criticism is unfair, but this is not a paper about, for example, an obscure and inconsequential insect written by a Masters student. This is a paper about people who are waiting for scientists to find something to ease a horrible disease, with the authors including some key players in ME/CFS research and clinical care.

I've been going a while and still there's been no mention of kynurenine. @DMissa, I don't want to frighten you away and I know that you aren't responsible for this paper, but can anyone explain what on earth happened to allow this paper to be published?

I'm not sure what we should be doing about this. A paper so riddled with errors causes harm, providing credibility to nonsense treatments and muddying the waters for researchers coming along later trying to understand the disease.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    Holinger, FMMM1, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I can't follow the biochemistry as I don't have sufficient knowledge, but I've glanced through the treatment section.
    This one, for example, which Hutan has already highlighted:
    The study that paragraph is based on was a report of 3 patients who had diagnosed both ME/CFS and, it seems, clear neurological signs and radiology of spinal stenosis. Unsurprisingly after surgery their neurological signs improved and associated symptoms, some of which might overlap with ME/CFS such as weakness and headaches, improved.

That's hardly a clear indication that everyone with ME/CFS should be checked for spinal stenosis, or that treating it is an ME treatment. It's a spinal stenosis treatment.

I think it's ridiculous to use evidence based on 3 patients who also had a different condition as a basis for including it as an ME treatment.

Holinger, FMMM1, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  17. Snow Leopard

Probably not.

I wondered why Gilles' Twitter was deleted, this is probably why:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/mac...suspected-research-fraud-20211214-p59hfr.html

Sounds like a guy who just wants his name on papers with no effort whatsoever.

FMMM1, Ravn, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  18. Hutan

Indeed, Guillemin has come to our attention before. He co-authored this paper, also on the Kynurenine pathway
    The Role of Kynurenine Pathway and NAD + Metabolism in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2022, Dehhaghi et al
    which I see I described as "a naive and biased romp through the ME/CFS literature."
    On that thread are listed Guillemin's extensive connections with companies interested in commercialising nutraceutical type products.

He also co-authored this study: (looks like I thought that one was ok)
    Pre-print: Post-acute COVID-19 cognitive impairment and decline uniquely associate with kynurenine pathway activation, 2022, Brew et al

More discussion on Guillemin here
    The IDO Metabolic Trap Hypothesis for the Etiology of ME/CFS 2019 Kashi, Davis, Phair.

19. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

The finding that celiac can present without GI symptoms has been in people in general, not in pwME specifically. Which also seems to be noted in the paper they are refering to here. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but they seem to imply that the finding has been for pwME.

20. DMissa

Hey everybody. Sorry for the absence, have been overwhelmed with work.

This discussion is important and don't worry about scaring me away or anything.

I have raised the concerns herein with my colleagues with a mind to avoid this in the future.

I hear you all.

Also, regarding the discussion of some kind of formal patient advisory group - we have been discussing it. It's complicated; a formal process, non-disclosure, boundaries, trust, etc would be required. I'm not sure what will be decided in the end but I can at least tell you it's being genuinely weighed up.

I agree and it's part of why I'm here.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    AndroidEeyore, Ali, FMMM1 and 11 others like this.