Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From what I see coming out of Oz, testing is seriously lagging. This is likely a reflection of a choice to... ride the wave, I guess. Lots of comments and reports I see indicate they are trying the herd immunity/modest proposal and basically abandoned rigorous testing as part of the solution.

I hope this is just from limited information and skimming, not quite reading in detail, but everything I see coming out from down under supports that. Not good.

ProudActivist, JaneL and lunarainbows like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

JaneL and Invisible Woman like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So basically, there is going to be a long tail and current restrictions on travel, social distancing and economic activity are going to last months until ~40-60% of the population have been infected.

Unless you can completely isolate a population, eg total travel bans, anything else risks overwhelming healthcare resources, which incidentally, must guide the optimum solution in terms of policy restricting the spread.

Hospital beds per population is 0.4% in Australia and 0.3% in the UK and the USA. The data on worldometer suggests 5% of active cases are in critical condition, which would mean for an average bed occupation of 1 week, 50%(percentage of population who will be infected) *0.05 (bed cases)/1 (bed/weeks) = 2.5% of the population who will require beds = 8 weeks given optimum bed allocation. But what would the numbers requiring ventilators be? It could be longer. Plus if the spread is too slow to not utilise all the ventilators, it will take longer - or if case numbers are volatile, more people will die. Hence with some margin for error, current measures should be expected to be imposed for quite some time - so highly likely to be longer than 8 weeks.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Sarah94, spinoza577 and Michelle like this.
  4. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"A new pre-print study by a team of Harvard researchers concludes that the idea of a single prolonged lockdown — which many are calling for in the U.S. — is not the most effective or sustainable way to curb the coronavirus epidemic. A more viable, long-term approach is to carry out a series of shorter “intermittent” lockdowns triggered by certain medical care capacity thresholds."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.22.20041079v1

Barry, Michelle and Mij like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

(post copied to
    Resources for help getting food during quarantine and safe handling of food)
    That might just be the initial wave of cases from the cruise ships washing through, and they account for something like a 1/3 of all cases in Oz. We will have to wait another 10-15 days to be sure.

The current numbers in intensive care are okay (not high) at the moment, and that is a number that is harder to get wrong and so is probably a better indicator of where we are at.

You don't have to actively decontaminate everything.

Anything that is not perishable (i.e. doesn't need to go straight into the fridge or freezer), and you don't need to use immediately, can just be left sitting somewhere safely out of the way (e.g. spare room) for 3-4 days to let the virus deactivate naturally.

No need to do any more work than necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2020
    JaneL, Michelle, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  6. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

NZ growth curve.png updated NZ growth curve. Were are now on our sixth day of lockdown, and the curve already seems to be flattening a little. While there may be many case out there undiagnosed, we have not reduced our rate of testing in the last few day, so that doesn't seem a likely explanation for the downturn.

Edit: Updated to April 1 (now on 7th day of lockdown).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Robert 1973, Cheshire, Andy and 9 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I think the NZ situation is complicated by a number of factors. One is that the vast majority of cases in the official numbers are from people who have returned from overseas with it or (to a lesser extent) their family members. The government is still telling us that cases from community spread are only 2 percent or so. With the reduction in returnees, it's to be expected that the number of new cases of that type will drop.

The other issue is that testing has been targeted towards returnees showing symptoms and people who have been in close contact with a diagnosed case. Our Prime Minister has today stressed that, now we have more capacity to test, a lot more testing has to be done to identify if we have community spread. The rules guiding doctors as to who is tested have only today been loosened to include people with respiratory symptoms who have no connection with overseas travel.

Our only death from Covid-19 was in a fairly remote part of New Zealand with no hint of community spread and, last I heard, there didn't seem to be any clear link to overseas travel. Medical staff were taken by surprise, and didn't start wearing appropriate PPE for quite some time.

So, I don't think the line on the chart tells us a lot about the real number of cases in New Zealand or about the impact of the 5 days of lockdown.

I expect these sorts of issues (who is tested and how many tests are done), along with others, mean that the lines for most countries need quite a lot of extra information in order to be interpreted well and compared. (still really interesting to look at though)

8. Hutan

Sean, JemPD, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

29 idiots in Italy have been found violating the quarantine despite having proven infection.

10. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Woolie and Perrier like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I've not watched the video above, so the answer may well be there, but why is it being called CCP virus?

Invisible Woman and spinoza577 like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which is what we have just tried and proves to be not only a catastrophe but achieves more or less nothing because we still only have less than 1% of the population infected. It will be month before the cases in hospital so far are dealt with and recovered (or not). I fail to understand how people can get their arithmetic so wrong.

13. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NZ's Ministry of Health has published their latest modelling reports (and they aren't pretty though we still have a chance to avoid the worst):

https://www.health.govt.nz/publication/covid-19-modelling-reports

Related article:

More at: https://thespinoff.co.nz/science/31...-ministry-of-health-releases-covid-19-models/

On a different topic, @Jonathan Edwards will be interested to see Air NZ's CEO shares his predictions regarding International travel:
    More at https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/31-03-2020/full-scale-of-damage-to-air-nz-becoming-clear/

Woolie, AliceLily, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  14. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read this and thought sounds reasonable. I Googled "Anthony Costello" and found that he should know a thing or two!

One of the questions I have @Jonathan Edwards @Simon M or others is that we need to test to identify people who are current infected with the virus/infectious - I think this requires the PCR test (looking for viral RNA). I assume that this (PCR test) was the basis for the control of the virus in South Korea. However, here I've heard experts who either deliberately, or accidentally, fudge the issue of testing; they talk about testing for antibodies --- those who have developed antibodies have beaten off the virus --- they are not hosting the virus/infectious.

I almost forgive politicians who talk about "pregnancy type tests ---X zillion arriving next week" these are antibody tests and they do not identify those shedding virus/infectious i.e. they cannot be used to control transmission. The role of a Minister is to represent Government policy in the best possible light; in this case that involves a certain amount of obfuscation regarding testing --- many of us don't expect our politicians to be clear when it doesn't show them in a good light!

The Republic of Ireland introduced drive through (PCR) testing, to identify members of the public who are infected/infectious, weeks ago. They have also taken over hotels* to accommodate those who are infected/infectious --- breaking transmission. Seems a little bizarre that the Government hasn't explained why they are not testing to identify people who are infected/infectious.

*https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0329/1127114-hse-briefing-covid/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2020
    Amw66, Invisible Woman, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am afraid that the scientific experts buy in to the idea that it is better to bullshit to keep people happy because people are so stupid they will not be able to cope with the reality. I think the advisors should wake up to the fact that a lot of ordinary lay people have more common sense than they do.

It has struck me a few times in the last week that maybe what is needed is to set up 'neighbourhood watch' type groups to establish the virus status in small geographic areas and then pool these through an easy access website. Government seem to be incapable of making use of modern technology and old fashioned human ingenuity in this way. Local communities could do well to source food in a domain that is known to be virus free. Those communities could enlarge and coalesce as more is known.

16. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Related to this:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1244899623438897154

He writes:

17. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The other issue which you have highlighted @Jonathan Edwards is that doctors may refuse to work in these conditions/circumstances. Doctors will have to decide you go on a ventilator (young healthy) you do not (older/underlying condition/s). After they have gone through this peak then if we do not introduce effective controls (testing & tracing contacts, personal protective equipment, social distancing --) then the doctors will have another round of who gets the chance to live --- they may refuse to work in those conditions.

The absence of adequate ventilators in the UK was know months ago --- Wuhan, Italy ---. Testing and tracing --- should have been implemented.

18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

19. Hutan

great article

Joh, ladycatlover, Woolie and 12 others like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...est-tens-of-thousands-more-people-says-expert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.