1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doesn't evacuation slightly undermine the concept of a quarantine, the point of which is normally seen as to stop the infected, and the potentially infected, from spreading the disease?

2. Patient4Life

Patient4Life Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the US govt. is taking steps to protect their workers that are in danger of contracting it. Govt. is responsible for them. I am also thinking that they will be monitored for symptoms. Possibly wearing masks on flight, temperatures taken, etc. I think this virus is about to explode and they aren't taking chances.

3. Patient4Life

China coronavirus spread is accelerating, Xi Jinping warns

Underline mine.

merylg and Leila like this.
  4. Patient4Life

I went to a site called Flu Armour and bought 2 boxes of twenty N95 masks; NIOSH CDC approved masks. That should get me through a couple of weeks in a pandemic outbreak. Any longer than 2 weeks would be a problem. Can't afford more right now.

fluarmour.com

5. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How bad is this compared to the swine flu in 2009?

merylg, Kitty and Patient4Life like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think we really know, particularly as it's possible China had been understating the problem initially, meaning that more realistic recent figures look like a big upsurge. Unless you're in China it's probably not worth worrying about until we know more.

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

brf, Art Vandelay, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  8. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I bought this kind of stuff during the last outbreak. Hoping I still have it stored in the loft

merylg and Patient4Life like this.
  9. Patient4Life

10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's especially hard to estimate the prevalence now they've discovered someone with an active infection but no symptoms of illness. It's therefore possible that people can spread it without even knowing they have it. I agree it's not worth worrying at the moment, specially when you think about the numbers dying of 'flu each year – usually no-one even remarks on that as a story.

large donner, merylg, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Much less deadly, but early estimates of the R factor (how effective the virus is at infecting hosts) seem very concerning. There are conflicting reports that place it around 2.5, some disputed ones at 3.8 or 2.8.

Spanish flu had a 1.8 factor, I think that's the highest, and I think SARS had 1.2, though of course flu viruses are much more lethal that coronaviruses. So it looks possible that there could be a massive pandemic with a "relatively" low mortality rate but that could stress medical resources to the point of degrading services on all other medical needs. Especially as it's flu season and the vaccine missed the mark, definitely not helping.

The biggest issue with coronaviruses is how many infected people display little to no symptoms. So the spread is very difficult to keep in check as it's extremely hard to quarantine infectious patients when it's difficult to identify them in the early stages. Hence, it seems, the full quarantines enacted in the provinces around Wuhan.

Hopefully a quick vaccine helps reduce the spread, especially in medical facilities, but the growth in just a few days is pretty concerning.

12. Patient4Life

Canada identifies first coronavirus case

merylg likes this.
  13. Patient4Life

merylg likes this.
  14. Patient4Life

Wuhan coronavirus death toll rises to 56 as healthcare workers say medical supplies are running out

Underline mine. Also, this reads like a long trailer for a 70s tv sci-fi I woul have found unbelievable...at age 12.

merylg and Leila like this.
  15. Patient4Life

Boy, an ounce of prevention, as in making live animal markets illegal, would have been cheaper than the pound of cure this is going to cost.

MeSci, merylg, rvallee and 1 other person like this.
  16. Patient4Life

17. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/24/virus-hit-wuhan-has-two-laboratories-linked-chines/

"Asked if the new coronavirus may have leaked, Mr. Shoham said: 'In principle, outward virus infiltration might take place either as leakage or as an indoor unnoticed infection of a person that normally went out of the concerned facility. This could have been the case with the Wuhan Institute of Virology, but so far there isn’t evidence or indication for such incident.'”

I hope they'll have enough resources and staff left in the next weeks to make sure what's in the lab stays in there, too :nailbiting:

I'm not worried this is going to wipe out half of the planet or something, but with enough people being infected public safety/supplies/medical care/economy being seriously affected.

People also travel a lot more than during SARS 15yrs ago.

MeSci, merylg, Sisyphus and 1 other person like this.
  18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I heard an expert talking on the radio today, and he said if we had daily/hourly updates of the number of people catching and dying of seasonal flu around the world, we would have worldwide panic just like this. He was not belittling the danger, just trying to get people to have a bit of perspective on it. I don't think posting frequent updates of numbers on here is particularly helpful.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  19. Patient4Life

That's pretty much what the residents and businesses of Incline Village and the CDC said during the outbreak. And I would argue some of these patients will go into ME/CFS.

merylg likes this.
  20. Patient4Life

That part will definitely be covered up.

merylg and rvallee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.