1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The science of craniocervical instability and other spinal issues and their possible connection with ME/CFS - discussion thread

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, May 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You could add in to that the (blinded) MRIs of all the people who have had surgery so far.

TigerLilea, sea, vsou and 11 others like this.
  2. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would people not be able to feel whether or not they were experiencing traction??

Michelle, Hutan and JemPD like this.
  3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But if it is only a small subset of ME-diagnosed people who have these abnormalities on MRI, then you'd need a rather large sample of PWME in order to be sure to catch them.

Michelle and Hutan like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ron Davis recently asked pwME who were going to have CCI surgery to get in contact, I think with a view to doing before/after blood tests(?) ie nanoneedle. Hopefully if he does this it will be in addition to the original proposed testing with other illnesses (eg MS). Also recently JD on twitter said that they were sending WDs MRI to a neuro surgeon to look at (?). It could be a game changer one way or the other.
    Hopefully, whatever the results, they will be a bit more responsible in how the information is disseminated to the ME community.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Not necessarily. It would probably be quite easy to break down the effects of traction into different components - restriction of rotation, restriction of flexion, distraction of the CC junction, etc etc. You then need to show that relief of symptoms correlates with some specific aspect. This is the sort of thing that drug studies routinely do before anyone takes them seriously. You compare closely related drugs to see what features of the molecule are necessary for an effect. You do a dose response and require that effect correlates with some particular level. All those sorts of things can be done with something like traction. They are routinely done for testing children's car seats and things like that. I suspect that there are people who would have no problem devising suitable control sham procedures in bionic limb research departments.

6. Jonathan Edwards

That is why it would be telling to include the MRIs of those who have had surgery.
    And if a high proportion of MRI scans are reported as showing CCI by the private radiologists involved in referral for surgery then there is no need to search for hundreds more. You simply mix these MRIs up with normal people's ones and show them to radiologists blind - both the private radiologists who reported them to begin with and some others.

7. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

This is the crux here, it is about responsibility - and clarity. Always.

Elestar, anniekim, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  8. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To me CCI seems not too different to LP in relation to ME/CFS. Both are implausible, both have people claiming to be cured by them. Until there’s some evidence to support the claims I’ll treat them much in the same way.

TigerLilea, sea, anniekim and 8 others like this.
  9. rel8ted

rel8ted Established Member (Voting Rights)

I feel that your response is very in accurate. How many American football players suffered post concussion syndrome before it was recognized?

I was told by my former rheumatologist that she knew I have hEDS from the beginning of the many years I spent misdiagnosed under her care. I continued to get progressively worse. When I finally saw a neurosurgeon, I was diagnosed with Cervical Myelopathy. I have many, issues with my vision, one sided weakness, gait problems. I have an dx of hEDS from a geneticist. The rheumatologist still had the audacity to say that hEDS is no big deal and I am making too much of it. The spinal instability from hEDS has caused my myelopathy and likely most of my symptoms. Her careless attitude that it was no big deal because she had not seen any research echoes your statement here. Football has not been banned even though it is now known that it can cause brain injury. I do not expect gymnastics to be either. Further more, how many contortionists do you suspect have a wide reaching public audience and can spread the news world wide that they have spinal issues?

MEMarge, Lisa108 and Sarah94 like this.
  10. rel8ted

rel8ted Established Member (Voting Rights)

hEDS can have an issue with the filum not being elastic, and then stretching of the spinal cord can cause injury.

Starting at about 4:25, Dr Patel addresses this issue and also mentions that twisting of the spinal cord causes symptoms and that the spinal cord os not supposed to be stretched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89TMJlyVTTw

Lisa108 and Sarah94 like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

If neurosurgeons treating EDS actually have evidence for things like this then they should publish it. The most recent review by Henderson, Bolognese, Patel and others in 2017 says:

This report also discusses increased prevalence of migraine, idiopathic intracranial hypertension, Tarlov cysts, tethered cord syndrome, and dystonia, where associations with EDS have been anecdotally reported, but where epidemiological evidence is not yet available.

That is to say they do not actually know whether EDS is associated with these things. I have worked alongside surgeons for a long time and they often say they find things without any reliable evidence. They tend to assume nobody is going to question their expertise.

Responsible medical practitioners make sure their evidence is solid before applying it to patients. I don't see that here.

sea, Barry, Philipp and 5 others like this.
  12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm guessing it's the referring doctors who determine the criteria for CFS and not the surgeons? How would a surgeon even begin to understand a patient with ME/CFS history when it's most likely the first or second time they've actually seen the patient?

ladycatlover, Sarah94 and Cheshire like this.
  13. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Yes, of course. That is not what I mean though. Sorry not to be more clear! We do not even know if the doctors who originally diagnosed these 15 patients with ME/CFS are the same ones who referred them for CCI evaluation, do we? My point is, those surgeons, such as the team in Spain, who are now saying the CCI surgery is resolving CFS symptoms in some patients - do they have any idea of the differeing criteria, I would think not, so essentially I am agreeing with you!

Snow Leopard, anniekim and Mij like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note:

22 posts have been moved to a new thread:
    Diagnosis of ME and the use of the labels ME and CFS

A few of the moved posts mention CCI, but their main points fit better on the new thread. Please try to keep your posts on topic.
    If you think your post has ended up on the wrong thread please report it.

Hutan, Sarah94, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  15. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dx Revision Watch likes this.
  17. Dx Revision Watch

[Not a recommendation]

I have noted more disclaimers on the Medium blogs, such as this one posted November 9, though I think the Disclaimer text

needs to go at the top of the posts:

Code:
    https://medium.com/@jenbrea/how-infection-can-damage-the-cervical-spine-d43d3dac5734

How infection can damage the cervical spine

How could post-infectious ME result from pathologies like CCI or cervical stenosis? There are precedents. Here are three examples from elsewhere in the medical literature of how infection can damage the cervical spine and cause brainstem compression

And recent suggestions I have made via Twitter that Jen's frequent references to "our cohort" and "we are finding" need qualifying have resulted in:
    Jen has also started spelling out within Twitter posts that "our cohort" is a [self-selected] closed support group.

Moderator note: This post has been copied to this thread:
    Medium Blogs by Jennifer Brea, 2019

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2019
  18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Given that JenB is including cervical spinal stenosis in her list of structural neck pathologies in her 'statistics', I thought it would be interesting to find out how common cervical spinal stenosis is.

I found this paper that carried out measurements on 469 adult skeletons.
    Here are the key results on prevalence of spinal stenosis:
    cervical stenosis was present in:
    4.9% of the adult population,
    6.8% of the population fifty years of age or older, and
    9% of the population seventy years of age or older.

In other words, spinal stenosis is very common and often asymptomatic. If that is what is being found on some of the ME patients' scans, then it may be entirely irrelevant to their symptoms, whether ME or not.

Mij, TigerLilea, Elestar and 16 others like this.
  19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, there could be many other conditions people likely have concurrently with ME, but with no correlation whatsoever. Science is about seeing past apparent correlation / causation.

TigerLilea, Sarah94, Snowdrop and 4 others like this.
  20. Dx Revision Watch

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    voner, Barry, MEMarge and 2 others like this.