1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Improves Physical Function & Fatigue in Mild & Moderate CFS: A Consecutive RCT, 2021, Gotaas et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Three Chord Monty, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Noir

Noir Established Member (Voting Rights)

"Funny" how these guys co-ordinate their media strategies, but are ready to whine about patient activism if we even say a word, not to forget if we coordinate something out of their unethical eyes.

Today they've had the text in Lancet, two articles in norwegian Dagbladet and Khrono, plus this one in Daily Express. In Norway the two journalists have covered these viewpoints positively for many years. They like to bring up David Tuller as a "patient activist" too, yet themselves use the same old journalists and newspaper contacts again and again.

I think David Tuller hit the nail on the head saying that the question they're asking is Freudian projection. Like Trump they accuse their opponents for what they themselves are guilty of. It's probably a "good" tactic for them because it makes less informed persons doubt what's true and not when two parties accuse eachother of the same thing. Experienced journalists and newspaper editors should really see through such cheap tricks, unless they for some mysterious reason choose not to see through it, of course.

Is keeping ME-science in the Medieval Ages more ideology than science? Aye, it is.

Forestvon, Woolie, Yvonne and 10 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

"patient activist"

What's an equivalent term we could tag them with?

Serious question.

Simon M, Yvonne, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Straight from the horse's mouth: patient-hating charlatans.

But this is not politically correct, so ideologues works fine, and is just as accurate.

Although it is kind of funny to label Tuller a patient activist, when he is not a patient. The same term regardless of status, but then they don't recognize that we are sick, and so are not patients, so it's probably the same thing to them. I still have no idea what the "cause" is even supposed to be if we are not patients, but dismissing the existence of the cause while calling it activism anyway is typical of this kind of abuse of power and reactionary politics. You see the exact same happening right now in the US, it's not similar, it's identical.

Yvonne, Sean, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Reactionary academic

ETA
    Methodologically challenged academic

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    Forestvon, Yvonne, obeat and 4 others like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ideological cultist,
    propagandist,
    BPS cult activist

Yvonne, MEMarge, obeat and 3 others like this.
  6. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yvonne, Michelle, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  7. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It may have changed (although having read both this and the earlier version I am not sure how) but it is still a blatant marketing piece for CBT, using the updated NICE GL as a bad guy to make a point.

As such I personally see it as a deliberate attack upon both those with ME and any 'support' of any kind, at all, that is not CBT.

Yvonne, Sean, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  8. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See ME Association post (and following comments - ‘still not perfect, but, an improvement’).

A complaint was made to the Express by ForwardME, using the new NICE Guideline.

Midnattsol, Yvonne, Frankie and 8 others like this.
  9. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Yvonne, Michelle, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  10. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Watch out UK members, Cambridgeshire Live published an article 24 February 2022

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/ne...rome-symptoms-signs-23202193#comments-wrapper

written by
    Sophie ChristianSEO/trends writer
    Jessica Knibbs
    (12:09, 24 FEB 2022)

I have informed Cambridge ME Group and am now off to check what my local “Reach” newspaper may have published too.

I suggest we all need to check our local papers in the UK for this!

Wyva, Yvonne, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  11. Yvonne

Yvonne Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pseudoscientists

Noir, Revel, Snowdrop and 7 others like this.
  12. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A layman can understand how it happened. NICE explains how this happened in "Evidence review A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, for additional explanations see "Consultation comments and responses 1 & 2".

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng206/history

Brain fog effects me badly. Yet, I can easily read and see how NICE downgraded poorly designed studies. How NICE looked at long term results verses short term. There is no advanced math required to read and accept NICE's explanations. No advanced human biology required.

I don't think her question was asked in good faith.

13. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

This is an old thread, but I just read that this study is part of a phd and the disputas has been postponed due to illness by the candidate which explain why the study was published so long after it was carried out. The original timeframe was 2012-2015.

Some short info on this page, if one clicks the "Er kognitiv atferdsterapi god behandling for CFS/ME?" subheading.

Peter Trewhitt, cassava7 and RedFox like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Corrigendum: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Improves Physical Function and Fatigue in Mild and Moderate Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Consecutive Randomized Controlled Trial of Standard and Short Interventions.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2022.1122220/full

cassava7, MSEsperanza, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  15. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Activist. That thing they do where they muddle the discussion by accusing us of what they are doing works both ways. Activist researchers fits a popular narrative and gives the impression they are producing evidence to fit the narrative they are selling. Which in this case is true, which makes it even more powerful.

EzzieD, alex3619, Sean and 2 others like this.
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This categorically shows its a bogus study. How any scientist can fall for this is astonishing. The answer, of course, is they are not scientists. They do not understand SD. I wonder if they have even properly read the PACE trial?

EzzieD, rvallee, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  17. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With Mild ME, but being quite bad at pacing, I got a SF36 PF of 35%. I might be closer to 40-45% now because I understand my physical energy envelope a little better, or perhaps I improved slightly.

Simon M, EzzieD, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  18. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nina E. Steinkopf: A sad day for science

quote:
    Despite evidence of a financial conflict of interest; after nearly two years the journal Frontiers has decided to believe in the authors and publish a worthless corrigendum. What happened to their high standard of research integrity?

https://melivet.com/2023/03/05/a-sad-day-for-science/

Lilas, Andy, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  19. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ooh, Retraction Watch is sharing Nina E. Steinkopf's article. Great that they're following this!

https://mailchi.mp/retractionwatch/...tion-frontiers-deception-detection?e=[UNIQID]

20. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member