1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cochrane ME/CFS GET review temporarily withdrawn

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Trish, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Also, as I wasn't clear on this I thought I'd say that I meant 'cautious' as in: trying to ensure that every little claim we make can be supported by clear evidence. Not 'cautious' as in: failing to challenge those with power who are behaving badly.

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cautious as in meticulous?

Simone, andypants, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And politic.

4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am confused with what is going on. So it is temporarily pulled the review? But why the posts that it won’t be pulled??? Can somebody in plain English summarized what is going on?

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only concrete action that is known about now is that the following note that has been added to the review:

7. Barry

Nope! Note 2 has disappeared again ...

upload_2018-10-27_18-37-7.png
    What the f' is going on?! Seems like the BPS'ites have got Cochrane by the short and curlies.

8. Dolphin

9. large donner

large donner Guest

Why would they agree to a re submission and not just refer to the original review and say theres nothing wrong with it? Isn't that what they believe.

Or is this "resubmission" just going to be a "vexatious militants are just antiscience and an anti psychiatry minority of lobbyists".

I somehow expect the re submission will be written by the SMC with the predictable here is a list of signatories who have been harassed by militants.

It definitively will not address the actual critiques.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  10. Barry

Strange.

If I go onto Cochrane's search, and search for "Exercise therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome", I get ...

upload_2018-10-27_18-47-32.png

So I then click on the first and obvious hit and that takes me to ...

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cds...htAbstract=exercise&highlightAbstract=chronic

And from there select the 'View PDF' drop down and select 'Full', which gets me to ...

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003200.pub7/epdf/full

And the note is not there. So following the route that many might take to find the document, there is no notice. So I still find it weird.

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I think is important to realise in all this is that there is no THEY. There are all sorts of individuals in different roles with different points of view. Some people at Cochrane are clearly very concerned about poor quality reviews in the mental health section. At least on individual realises that the criticisms of the Larun review are entirely valid. Why else would Larun have had the letter?

And people's views change over time.

Nothing is simple here. If it was this event would never have occurred.

12. Dolphin

Yes indeed. When someone said they could see the comment the other day, I had to ask them for the link as I had used the same method as you and couldn't see it.

13. Barry

So where did that link originate from? It's almost as if it's reserved for those who ask, and anyone else won't get to see it. And of course it's right at the end of a very long document.

14. Dolphin

I got it from @Adrian .

15. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OK I see the issues, so where do we go from here? how do we get the comment on all links,
    how do we make sure the review is answering all question? I know a lot happens in the background but is there something going on we do not know about from the ME groups??? How do we know the BPS group is on top of it while we are not/?? How do we make sure we keep pressure, and everything they do is on the spot light'/???

16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The charities seem missing on this issue. Unless they are doing what counts behind the scenes but then what kind of hostile climate would force them to do that this quietly? It still seems to be down to patients to do most of the work here. I don't get it. This is the most important issue happening in the UK and they seem subdued or entirely missing.

There seems to be intimidation towards professionals and institutions who speak out against the government and psychosocial lobby, at least in keeping them from speaking publicly. The issue isn't patients vs. researchers, it's competent researchers supported by most patients vs. self-proclaimed experts that few patients support. We won't get our voices heard if competent professionals can't bring their own to make sure science prevails against politics.

17. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Someone else noticed there was an update saying there was a note so I looked around until I found one but it took a while.

18. Barry

Strange isn't it. It can be found via google, but not through Cochrane's site search.

19. Barry

I do find it disconcerting that there are two links for the same review paper:
    • One which omits the re-submission notice, and seems to be the only version accessible via Cochrane's normal website navigation or searches.
    • ... and ...
    • One which does have the notice in, but seems to be an orphaned link, which none of Cochrane's normal website navigation nor searches will take you too.
    The above seems very underhanded to me, and frankly rather devious. Why have two versions? Why have the controversial version in a place nobody will find without some very hard searching, and the original one still in the normal place for all to find as per normal? I think this smells to high heaven.

ETA: @dave30th, does this make any sense to you?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Very good point @Barry is there a feedback function on the page? From my experience with getting stuff published at work it is conceivable that it is a web publishing error where the version that’s currently an orphan page should have replaced the other version but the person pushing it live it has made an error. If it is highlighted to them they would then have an opportunity to correct that if it is genuinely cock up rather than conspiracy otherwise it would fall into the latter category.

ETA also worth noting that since most users rely on google for search and tend to get sufficiently deep into the level of content they’re looking for that way many sites don’t invest too much effort into optimising their site search

ETA2 there doesn’t seem to be an on page feedback function for highlighting issues but there is info on how to contact. https://www.cochranelibrary.com/help/contact-us

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018