1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Clinical and cost-effectiveness of the Lightning Process ... for paediatric chronic fatigue syndrome, 2018, Crawley et al (Smile Trial)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Adrian, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is old but couldn't find it posted on the forum yet. Some interesting quotes in it.

Hawkes, N. (2017). Training for children with chronic fatigue works better than medical care alone, finds study. BMJ, j4372. doi:10.1136/bmj.j4372

sci-hub link: sci-hub.se/10.1136/bmj.j4372

Rapid response by Anton Mayer: https://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j4372/rapid-responses

More about Hawkes:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/uk-he...uestion-february-2019.8045/page-5#post-142373

https://www.s4me.info/threads/trial-by-error-letters-to-fiona-godlee-and-nigel-hawkes.8233/

Esther12, alktipping and Andy like this.
  3. MSEsperanza

Could anyone check if the following paragraph is correct?

I would like to use it for a comment on the IQWiG report plan -- comment is due by Wednesday and there's a lot of work until then, so any help much appreciated.

That's my draft (translated from German) :

Edit -- go to:

Explicitly mentioning the verifiability of self-reported 'objective' end-points here seems important, as one large study of the benefits of an alternative medical therapy in children and adolescents (SMILE), for example, used school attendance as an objective end point, but school attendance was self-reported by study participants alone and was not verified, even in random samples.

@dave30th @Lucibee @JohnTheJack @Jonathan Edwards @Sean @Snow Leopard @strategist @Esther12
    @Robert 1973

Edited to add: I'm aware that there were many other issues with this trial, so that's only to check if the point about checking whether seemingly 'objective' outcomes are actually objective is one that can be made with respect to the SMILE trial.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    alktipping, Hutan and JohnTheJack like this.
  4. MSEsperanza

5. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just checking back. The intention in the SMILE protocol was that they would check against school records - but the trial paper doesn't state that they did - and the measure was downgraded to a secondary outcome measure anyway.
    @Adrian will remember better than me probably...

6. MSEsperanza

I remember that bit and also some other issues.

Would this work:

"Explicitly mentioning the verifiability of seemingly objective end-points here seems important, as one large study of the benefits of an alternative medical therapy in children and adolescents (SMILE), for example, included school attendance as an endpoint. According to the study protocol, it was planned to verify the self-reported data by checking against school records in random samples, so that these could count as objective outcomes.

In the original trial paper, however, school attendance was self-reported by study participants alone, but this (among other) deviations from the study protocol where only added in a corrected version following repeated criticism."

Could the school absence study also be referenced? Sorry, I don't remember details about that one.

Edited to add amendments in bold.

Edited again -- now completely re-phrased.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    alktipping likes this.
  7. MSEsperanza

Had a look now at the corrected version -- Will have to reword the paragraph as the corrected paper now acknowledges:

"We did not have capacity to check school attendance using school records, but this could have provided an objective outcome."

And then they go on: "Further unpublished work suggests this is highly correlated with the self report measure we used."

What a bad correction to a bad paper that is -- and even the editorial note on the corrections seems again to be misleading.

Anyway, thanks @Lucibee that was already very helpful.

Any further help also appreciated (e.g. which measures did the school absence study use?)

Edit: Now edited the paragraph in the post above -- amendments in bold.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    alktipping and Hutan like this.
  8. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this the correct one? https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/1/2/e000252
    (Thread: https://www.s4me.info/threads/unide...school-based-clinics-2011-crawley-et-al.12187)

If this is the correct study, then "School attendance was recorded at the time of assessment using a single-item inventory." So, same - self-report.

Also from Methods: "The attendance officer in each school identified all children in years 7–11 (ages 11–16 years) who had missed ≥20% of school over a 6-week term."

"We used school attendance at 6 months, ascertained through follow-up questionnaires and by review of medical notes, as our primary outcome."

9. MSEsperanza

I now found one of @dave30th's very helpful replies that answers also my questions about the SMILE trial:

10. MSEsperanza

alktipping and Lucibee like this.
  11. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

As far as I remember they intended to measure school attendence and talked about access to school records but they published results based on self-reported attendence with a claim that it correlated well with school records but no figures were given. School attendance can be quite dodgy in than many schools may have rooms where someone can rest and so they would be recorded as present even if not in all lessons.

12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would this not have been at the transition of GDPR?
    Which may have made accessing school records a bit more difficult?

MSEsperanza likes this.
  13. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the protocols for both the feasibility and full trials (they wrote one for each), they promised to vet self-reported school attendance against official records. They didn't mention these official records one way or the other in the feasibility trial report and in the full trial report. The original primary outcome in the feasibility trial was school attendance at six months, measured both ways--self-report and school records. Physical function was a secondary outcome. So more than half the participants in the full trial were recruited when that was the primary outcome.

In the full trial, school attendance at six months had been relegated to being a secondary outcome. Of course, they still should have mentioned the school records, but they failed to. School attendance at six months had null results, but no one noticed. They had positive findings on another secondary outcome--school attendance at 12 months--so they did promote that as a benefit.

In the 3,000-word correction/clarification, it was stated that they didn't get the school records--I forget why exactly.

Sid, MEMarge, Snow Leopard and 2 others like this.
  14. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharing info on kids is more strictly controlled via GDPR legislation (2018 in Scotland)
    Interests have to be legitimate and for general, non life threatening areas like this parental / childs' consent would be required .

In Scotland there was a legal challenge to GIRFEC ( get it right for every child which underpins education and social care provision ) re information sharing without consent as it conflicted with GDPR.

So it may boil down to how they handled the initial interaction ( given it involved attendance officers my guess is not well) - telling that letters / written info to parents etc were not provided despite being requested?

The school may also have had a part to play which they may not wish highlighted. They were facilitators.

My guess is that they did not have the legal consent required to obtain records.
    It may not have been a necessity at feasibility when law was different and perhaps a bit more elastic in its definition and was therefore not considered at full trial stage.

Privilege tends to promote assumption.

Eta GIRFEC paragraph.

bobbler likes this.
  15. MSEsperanza

Thanks for replying again @dave30th -- I realize we had discussed this repeatedly before the correction was added (see e.g. post above )

"We did not have capacity to check school attendance using school records"

I wonder what people who aren't aware of the criticism and now read the editor's note and the corrected paper will make of the evidence.

I'll post other questions related to this and how to best refer to it in the comment for evidence reviews here.

bobbler and Sean like this.
  16. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Copying a comment I made back in 2017 on the Smile Trial over on Phoenix Rising - noting the missing school attendance data at 12 months, and the lack of clarity over how home tuition was quantified.

MEMarge, Kalliope, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  17. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I was nearly done with high school when I got ill, and after having tried and failed two years to attend school, I became well enough by the third year that I could have 10 hours attendance/week in the autumn semester and 20 hours/week in the spring semester + home school for the rest. This solution allowed me to take courses that required labwork and/or had a lot of extra if one where to take it at home.

I've also done a lot of extra coursework as a university student, but then I opted for almost completely staying at home, mostly showing up for lectures if they were compulsory or on something I found very interesting. Sure my course plan looks impressive with 2-3x the normal courseload several terms, but I was still veyr ill and often I'd work while reclining in the bed at home.

MEMarge, Kalliope, Starlight and 5 others like this.
  18. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's been similar with my son, with a patchwork of rest, home learning, and part-time school from age 13. Some years he managed full course loads, but never full-time at school, and approaches were constantly changing with opportunities and health. It became much easier for him to have a full course load in university (during the pandemic) where he could watch lectures from home.

The complexity of describing education participation probably does make it unsuitable as an outcome, as Crawley et al found out. As others have said, the correct response to that awareness should have been the use of another, better objective outcome such as some form of automated activity monitoring, rather than making the primary outcome a subjective survey.

MEMarge, Kalliope, Sean and 5 others like this.
  19. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Online classes was the best. I miss them :( Most of all I miss having only home exams.

MEMarge, Kalliope, Starlight and 4 others like this.
  20. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given how schools work re: progrsss monitoring there should be predicted grades or attainment almost for each person who gets NE/CFS because they use this to measure ‘value added’ for schools by seeing whether a pupil who was eg really clever at start of year attained what they’d be reasonably expected to with good teaching, and do fir middle and lower down etc to total up a score.

no reason why - given my big bear if watching as the focus seems to be attendance at the expense of future recovery sbd health and ergo future grades bring worse than if say home learning or fewer subjects or years out had been possible - all of these different management possibilities couldn’t be compared based on actual ‘what grades should they have got vs what did they get in the end’ measure. Which would be more accurate as per how the system measures it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
    Kalliope likes this.