1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Occupational Status: A Retrospective Longitudinal Study, 2021, Chalder et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would be interesting to have details of the hours worked by the different groups.

Were those taking up work perhaps only picking up very part-time jobs?
    Also we have no detail about whether those in work and staying in work, actually reduced their hours in order to stay employed.

So the “not working” group could add only a few hours work & be counted as starting work,

but others could have a substantial reduction of their hours, and remain in the “still working” group.

It’s not a balanced measure.

MSEsperanza, Wonko, Missense and 9 others like this.
  2. Keela Too

Following on to above, how is being in work defined?

I “had a job” for a full year after being unable to “work”.
    So at what point does taking sick-leave become stopping work? Presumably there is a lag-time before an individual is counted as not working?

In the other direction, starting work presumably starts on first day of work. No lag time there. Or maybe just picking up a contract to start a job counts, even if the individual hasn’t succeeded in holding down the job?

So many variables that would need to be defined, and so many that could end up skewing the data in one direction or another if not applied in a balanced manner. :(

MSEsperanza, Wonko, Missense and 7 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Based on table 2, I think the 9% refers to the subgroup of 316 that provided data at baseline and follow-up. Because the numbers below add up to 316.
    upload_2021-12-11_11-16-32.png

MSEsperanza, cfsandmore, Sean and 3 others like this.
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the main data can be summarized as follows:
    upload_2021-12-11_11-18-36.png
    This results in a chi-square value of 0.53 and a p-value = 0.465. The difference was not statistically significant, despite an adequate sample size. So, 16 therapy sessions of CBT at Kings College doesn’t make much difference for your chance to return to work.

It may actually be detrimental because 38% of the original cohort dropped out, and the authors report that ‘those who were working at baseline were less likely to have dropped out of the study’. So those working at baseline were overrepresented in the follow-up data compared to the baseline data.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    Sid, MSEsperanza, lycaena and 21 others like this.
  5. Keela Too

I’ll hold my hand up and admit I did something I really shouldn’t have done: I didn't click through to original figures! (Guilty!)

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was looking at that and it's laughable:
    So it almost means nothing. Being the UK, someone being on a 0-hour contract would qualify as being employed even if they only work 1 hour per month, as would a student that is unable to attend classes, unless they dropped out. And of course someone switching from 50 hour per week down to just a few hours volunteering would probably classify as remaining in employment. Complete joke paper.

Although there are two papers discussed here and I'm losing track of whether they are the same, or using the same data and just publishing in different places. The amount of obfuscation here is completely disqualifying for academic research, it's really critical to clean things up. It's even clearly on purpose, so that people interpret whatever they want out of it. Journals should not publish claims that require this much interpretation to even figure out what they're even talking about.

There is one piece of potentially useful data: relationships, the impact of chronic illness on relationships is absolutely devastating, it removes the very first support everyone needs from most. And it's likely a massive undercount. This whole domain has been mostly unexplored, a failure that speaks volume of how little we are considered, that no one cares about what is arguably the most important thing in life: love. What it shows is devastating and can't be explained rationally, but then none of this is rational so whatever.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    Wonko, Missense, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And of course much of the findings do not have any significance tests.

MSEsperanza, Wonko, Missense and 8 others like this.
  8. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, all those percentages are of the 316 who provided data at follow-up. Unbelievable how they mangled the description in the paper. These people can't even understand their own findings properly, and no one--not the authors, peer reviewers or editors--recognized this obvious problem. What a joke.

Missense, Simbindi, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Lidia, MSEsperanza, Missense and 11 others like this.
  10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And of course might well have made a difference to your chances of returning to the same level of work. For all we know the the overall work balance could have shifted to less demanding work, potentially much less demanding.

cfsandmore, ukxmrv and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

KG puts the two papers in sequence:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1469764076377186323

EzzieD, FMMM1, cfsandmore and 5 others like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The more you folks dig into this study, the fishier it becomes.

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  15. rvallee

Same formula, it's tried-and-tested that they can get away with it and mostly consisting of taking credit for the passage of time and leaving out bad data in "drop-outs", or even discharging patients as recovered even when they tell the clinic they are dropping out because it makes them worse:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1471392432319352842

Wonko, cfsandmore, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: A Letter to Occupational Medicine From Brian Hughes & Me About Prof Chalder’s Latest Disaster

Professor Brian Hughes, a psychologist at the National University of Ireland, Galway, and I have written to Occupational Medicine outlining our major concerns and calling for the paper to be retracted. You can read our letter below or on a pre-print server here.

https://www.virology.ws/2021/12/16/...ughes-me-about-prof-chalders-latest-disaster/

Sid, Lidia, MEMarge and 21 others like this.
  17. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very useful letter by @Brian Hughes and @dave30th, it will be interesting to see if the editorial team at Occupational Medicine are as practiced at brushing off or ignoring coherent on point criticism of articles that their peer review system should have pulled as the usual suspects.

MEMarge, Wonko, cfsandmore and 10 others like this.
  18. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If anyone has a PDF of this paper, could you please send it to me! Thanks.

EDIT: Obtained.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    MSEsperanza and alktipping like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge, Ash, MSEsperanza and 5 others like this.
  20. rvallee

In hindsight, maybe a race to the bottom was a bad idea. Maybe.

Although this did achieve the original goal: making it easier to publish research. Publishing a lot of wrong research (I like that term) is a good way to publish a lot of papers. Many more papers per academic. Less knowledge, but more papers. So clearly more papers must have been the goal, it's the only thing that's actually been achieved. If it wasn't, then, oops, I guess?