Cerebellar Excitability Regulates Physical Fatigue Perception, 2023, Casamento-Moran et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by ahimsa, May 5, 2023.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[I think this is the right forum for this study but please move if it's in the wrong place]

Cerebellar Excitability Regulates Physical Fatigue Perception

https://www.jneurosci.org/content/43/17/3094

The Washington Post has an article discussing this study which is how I found it:
    Rethinking fatigue: Feeling tired vs. being physically depleted

(gift link) https://wapo.st/3NGfh8v

This article has a quote from Brian Walitt:

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Cerebellar Excitability Regulates Physical Fatigue Perception

Abstract
    Fatigue is the subjective sensation of weariness, increased sense of effort, or exhaustion and is pervasive in neurologic illnesses. Despite its prevalence, we have a limited understanding of the neurophysiological mechanisms underlying fatigue. The cerebellum, known for its role in motor control and learning, is also involved in perceptual processes. However, the role of the cerebellum in fatigue remains largely unexplored.

We performed two experiments to examine whether cerebellar excitability is affected after a fatiguing task and its association with fatigue. Using a crossover design, we assessed cerebellar inhibition (CBI) and perception of fatigue in humans before and after “fatigue” and “control” tasks. Thirty-three participants (16 males, 17 females) performed five isometric pinch trials with their thumb and index finger at 80% maximum voluntary capacity (MVC) until failure (force <40% MVC; fatigue) or at 5% MVC for 30 s (control). We found that reduced CBI after the fatigue task correlated with a milder perception of fatigue.

In a follow-up experiment, we investigated the behavioral consequences of reduced CBI after fatigue. We measured CBI, perception of fatigue, and performance during a ballistic goal-directed task before and after the same fatigue and control tasks. We replicated the observation that reduced CBI after the fatigue task correlated with a milder perception of fatigue and found that greater endpoint variability after the fatigue task correlated with reduced CBI.

The proportional relation between cerebellar excitability and fatigue indicates a role of the cerebellum in the perception of fatigue, which might come at the expense of motor control.

3. Hutan

It's interesting stuff.

But the study is built on people's reported levels of fatigue after a fatiguing task. The reporting involves picking a number between 0 and 100. Just as with pain, people's rating of their fatigue will almost certainly be influenced by cultural factors and any framing. For example, someone who routinely engages in endurance sports such as mountaineering or someone whose memory of staying up most of the night looking after a baby is fresh might have a wider range of states of fatigue to construct their mental 0 to 100 fatigue scale.

Also the fatiguing task was just exercise done with thumb and forefinger. That may have made it harder for people to work out how to rate the fatigue. For example, does the fatigue rating apply just to how those two fingers or the hand involved feels (in which case the fatigue rating after the exercise might be high), or does it apply to the whole body (in which case the fatigue rating after the exercise might be low).

So, I'm not too sure that people's reported fatigue levels provide reliable and comparable data points to use in correlations with other things. ?

4. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Begs the question: Why didn’t the study just use a Hand Grip strength measurement?

That would have provided some physical evidence of a decline in ability for people experiencing PESE.

5. Hutan

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 8.53.07 pm.png

Figure 1F is the reported levels of fatigue with the points for the fatiguing exercise shown in purple, and the points for the control exercise in green. There was a baseline measurement and five sets of exercises, and then recovery, with measurements of grip strength before and during the recovery period.

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 8.58.21 pm.png
    Figure 1G is for the grip strength measurement after the fatiguing exercises. Grip strength as a percentage of baseline on the x axis, and reported fatigue is on the y axis (0 to 100). Look at the enormous variability in the reported fatigue after the exercise - it ranges from something like 10 to up to nearly 90. I really doubt that that variation can be attributable to levels of brain excitability. I would bet that it has more to do with cultural factors and variable interpretations of the question (i.e. does it just apply to the muscles that were used, or to a global assessment of fatigue. The datapoints for the two people who reported very high fatigue levels seem to me to be a bit dubious - and they are doing a lot of the heavy lifting in achieving a respectable r value in the regression of fatigue levels versus cerebellum excitability

Just to be clear, the participants were sitting in front of a computer and gripping a sensor hard with thumb and first finger for 5 lots of maybe around 35 seconds (see Figure 1c).
    I did the 5 sets, just to see what it is like. At the end my global assessment of fatigue did not change, and I was able to type using my fingers nearly straight away. I would probably have chosen a fatigue rating specifically for my thumb and first finger of around 40% at the end of the sets, as did most of the participants. But, I feel a bit doubtful that what a relatively small part of my body was doing would affect cerebellum excitability significantly. This is particularly so because participants had to stop the 5 sets, and then report their level of fatigue, and then do a strength test, and then their cerebellum excitability was assessed. Possibly the test of motor control was also done prior to the cerebellum excitability test. My fingers were only fatigued for a minute or so, so I'm pretty sure that by the time the cerebellum excitability test was done, there would not have been much impact from the exercise.

So, I'm not sure about the assumptions built on the fatigue rating data and therefore about the conclusions of the study. Maybe the study could be repeated looking at people doing a marathon, that way the researchers could be more sure that the participants really were fatigued.

6. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/05/04/fatigue-tired-coping/

This article is also on the ME Association face book: https://www.facebook.com/meassociat...rHHyA7Hg6CVAPtCyhHKan91EqFEuQKBQn695TKMUeTFml

I've (hopefully will be forgiven) stolen their choice of quotes and intro to describe it:

The Washington Post: Rethinking fatigue: Feeling tired vs. being physically depleted.

"A study suggests that perception of fatigue differs from physical fatigue, and this difference could lead to better treatments.
    Fatigue affects the health and quality of life for many people, but there are few effective treatments for it, experts say.

Now new research suggests that redefining fatigue, and understanding how a brain region known as the cerebellum processes fatigue, may hold clues for better treatment."

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2023
    Peter Trewhitt, Hutan, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  7. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's sad that something so obvious--that 'fatigue' is still undefined and not understood--is newsworthy as an observation from a research study. Even more so that the study is poorly designed to really add to understanding fatigue. Fatigue, in its various forms, is something everyone experiences, and it has a very significant effect on the economy, worker safety, and other parts of human civilization, yet there's no push to understand it. I think it's deserving of more research effort, but with proper goals, so that the funding isn't wasted on studies of mice on roller skates or whatever.

MEMarge, oldtimer, Sean and 4 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Lack of energy in the tank

not about perception

MEMarge, oldtimer, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  9. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could be one of those lucky accident scenarios that was all that was needed where someone ran an experiment that happened to as part of its data capture the obvious and blow out the 'fatigue as captured by subjective surveys with leading questions' as if it were some measure. They've a valid point, and its been plain as day so nice to see. But yes, the solution isn't another quick fix but chucking out the dodgy pretend stuff to show it isn't a thing is an important part in starting it

But I guess the fact it is was used at all, and then a surprise [to see it inversely correlated] says it all about the up-is-down culture that has been fed far and wide by some of these 'ideas' of BPS. I suspect the only reason they thought to ask what their perceived fatigue was is because those groups have made it 'the norm' as if it meant something. Turns out it often means the opposite.

I'm pretty sure the cognitive psychologists who work with e.g. air traffic control would never measure fatigue as the BPS do (and they have to in order to look at and recommend breaks and working times, as well as set-ups to know how much drain different scenarios have and how long the human brain can keep it up for etc because if someone isn't on the ball the results aren't just that worker being tired), so it has been around for 30yrs the methods they could be using to have measured it more objectively and check their 'concept' was 'real' if it added up/was.

I guess it just says what we all know which is those who are most genuinely fatigued get used to and stoical about the level they experience so inverse relationship possibly between the measures the BPS use and reality of what most people understand fatigue to actually be in layman's terms. ie that in itself is a pretty prime point to make and stops us feeling like we are howling at the moon when someone suggests 'thinking less tired' will make a disease disappear is demonstrated by using a load of leading questions asking people 'how tired are you thinking right now'

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. Creekside

No, those are two different aspects or forms of 'fatigue'. You could be unable to walk a mile due to metabolic limits, but you could also be unable to do that task due to perceptual problems: your brain is convinced that you don't have the energy to do so. If a hypnotist convinces someone that they are fatigued, is their ATP really reduced by that?

From my own ME experiences, I've never felt that my 'fatigue' was due to inadequate ATP. Unless I had physically overexerted myself, my legs always felt capable of a 40 km bike ride, but I often didn't have the mental energy to make the effort. My ME 'fatigue' seems to be neurological rather than metabolic.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our experiences are very different, opposite in fact. I have the mental energy to do things, but my body wont fulfil what is asked of it. My motivation writes checques my body cant cash.

MEMarge, Hutan, John Mac and 10 others like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Me too, @JemPD. I haven’t seen lack of 'mental energy to make the effort' in any clinical criteria for ME. Physical fatiguability in my experience is physical increase in symptoms and loss of ability to push on with an activity, nothing to do with lack of mental motivation.

MEMarge, Hutan, John Mac and 12 others like this.
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Exactly hence saying no energy in the tank. The brain needs energy to function.

I have so much more I want to be able to do.

MEMarge, Hutan, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  14. Creekside

Physical strength and stamina are not a function only of ATP; there's a complex set of systems involved. Think of a modern gasoline engine: it's got all sorts of sensors feeding computers that control how well an engine runs. A failure in a sensor or a computer or a communication line can cause poor engine performance, even if the engine and fuel and air and ignition components are all working properly. I can't recall any ME studies that show that ATP production is drastically reduced in patients experiencing reduced physical ability. If the cause was reduced ATP production, that should be reasonably easy to clinically prove. The lack of such evidence means that the cause is more likely to be neurological. Your brain's "muscle performance monitor" might be telling you that your muscles have reached their limits, but that could be caused by a single nerve or glial cell malfunctioning.

If a car was having ME-like symptoms, you could do a computer or sensor swap. Swapping out a brain, spinal cord and nerve fibres is just not feasible. Simulating nerve signals with electric pulses should be easy enough, and you can compare physical and metabolic factors between PWME and controls. If there's not much difference, then it's not the muscles or mitochondria causing the experienced physical limitations. To me it seems like a simple and cheap experiment that would decide whether there should be further funding for the metabolic hypotheses for ME.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  15. Trish

Human physiology is far more complex than this implies. It's not just a question of mitochondria/ATP or nerve cells.

My post made no mention of the actual physiological/biochemical mechanisms which haven't been worked out for ME/CFS yet. My point was about symptoms and ability to function.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    Andy, Sean, SNT Gatchaman and 3 others like this.
  16. Creekside

Yes, but this thread is also making assumptions of the cause of the lack of physical ability. "No energy in the tank" implies that there's limited ATP production, which isn't proven. "Inability to exert one's self" is more open to different causes.

This reminded me of an automotive problem I was told about. A guy's truck simply wouldn't start. Nothing was wrong with the engine. The problem was a brake light not working. Someone must have programmed the computer to consider that a critical safety failure, and prevented the engine from operating. Maybe ME is mis-registering something in the body as a critical safety failure and is blocking muscle signals to "help the body recover", and is stuck in that state.

Peter Trewhitt and JemPD like this.
  17. Trish

To quote Brian Wallitt of NIH from the start of this thread:

ahimsa, SNT Gatchaman, Sean and 3 others like this.