1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CBT for CFS Therapist Manual PAEDIATRIC CFS TEAM, ROYAL UNITED HOSPITAL, BATH, UK Loades, M.E. & Starbuck, J. | 2020

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

For many young people with CFS/ME, recovery is not about a ‘going back’ to who they used to be, but a ‘going forwards’ to a new version of themselves whom has been through what is often reported as an enriching and developing experience, and who has progressed developmentally too

What a bunch of crap. :mad:

Games with words and statistical thresholds are their core tools.

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

at the main page where this is linked to, there is this
    which are just as bad, but aimed at patients/carers.

If any physician did want to know more, then they are only going to find more of the same through this site;

via the 'services leaflets and information' link takes you to the main clinic page and the
    'Research into the causes and treatment of CFS/ME'
    link, where the only 'research' listed is Crawleys.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As always it assumes activity can be increased:
    Although it sounds appealing, I'm not sure anyone's baseline drops out anything like as mathematically neat as this:
    This is GET basically, conveniently overlooking those who might be crippled by it long before getting any where near "8 hours' high energy activity per day":

4. Sean

The Undead Rises.

Again. :banghead:

Invisible Woman, Joh, Anna H and 7 others like this.
  5. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have tweeted Tymes Trust, asking if they are aware/seen this new Manual.

Anna H, mango, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Anna H, PhysiosforME, mango and 7 others like this.
  7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, though it is about CBT, for the BPS crew there has always been an overlap between GET and CBT and as @Barry points out there is a GET component to this manual.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's much worse than that, early in the document is a disclaimer saying they don't stand by any of it, it's just for information and should not be considered official, that therapists should be free to do whatever they want. Not considered official other than actually being used in practice, influencing real people's lives, of course.
    They literally don't even stand by this, they're just saying it, they report, you decide. Just like the advice for exercise in COVID-19. They want all the power that comes from giving professional and none of the responsibility. Complete dereliction of duty. The system of medicine has broken down entirely here. Not in part, completely.

9. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It does however provide a somewhat rambling summary of their current "treatment approach" and the psychs false illness beliefs which form the basis for them.

Simbindi, alktipping, Sean and 4 others like this.
  10. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A saint's work has no peer.

So to use synonyms, be adaptable and accurate then. I'm not really clear on that.

* Bolding theirs. Interesting that. In all the many years Bristol has been churning out ME/cfs 'research' they are just NOW deciding it's time to have a look at something outside the endless refinement of GET/CBT. And they're using a BIOBANK. Just like, you know, those other real researchers. Thus we can be sure their research is also real and will yield high quality reliable data.

They're doing this of course for the same reason they're trying to co-opt neuroimaging -- to prove their for real and doing real research with real data and real reliable outcomes that prove their mindless MUSings on a topic they seem to know less than nothing about.
    Edit: fix sp

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Anna H, EzzieD, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you

12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Starting at 4 hours per day, increasing by 10% every two weeks, and in a year they'll be doing an impressive 48 hours of high energy activity per day! ;)

Seriously though, an increase of 20% per week means reaching the 8 hour target in 4 weeks.
    An increase of 10% per fortnight means reaching the 8 hour target in just over 14 weeks.

They also state
    Which contradicts the above advice (10-20% increase in activity every 1-2 weeks).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  13. Sean

1. The recovery journey takes a matter of months, or a year, or perhaps longer.

How convenient.

14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or, to put it another way, it will take as long as it takes.

ukxmrv, 2kidswithME, Mij and 9 others like this.
  15. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sent a twitter DM to @PhysiosforME too!

So happy to have some good eyes checking up on these reports/manuals/‘recovery’ aids (thank you!)

16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, rvallee, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  18. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Note the focus on fatigue and only lasting a few days. No mention of long term harm that exercise can cause. I've experienced harm from exertion that has lasted over a decade and is probably permanent. They clearly don't believe in ME but when asked they deny it and say "We're not saying it's all in your head". I call it gaslighting.

CBT Guide.png

19. Sean

That diagram just proves that they have not changed their act one bit in the 30 years since I first became aware of it. They just keep doubling down.

Why is so much of mainstream medicine (in the UK at least) still bending over backwards to give them the benefit of the doubt?

It's nucking futs.

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yup. Make it much more than 30 years.

peptic-ulcers-psychosomatic.jpg