1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian Federal Health Minister to make announcement regarding ME, August 22

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by DokaGirl, Aug 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like the theme was "our government believes in science" as everyone repeated it. I like it. So do I!

Ravn, MSEsperanza, Ebb Tide and 21 others like this.
  2. rvallee

Good personal testimony conveying the gravity of the disease by a patient (didn't catch the name), how the most severe patients can be bed-bound for years, decades. Emotional. This is a pain we all understand.

Thank you to both. I see you, Sabrina. We all share this pain. This is exceptional and I'm looking forward to participate, being lucky that this is in my backyard. Wish I could have been well enough to be part of this achievement.

Simon M, Ravn, MSEsperanza and 36 others like this.
  3. rvallee

Well, this is already the most significant effort so far by any government in terms of messaging.

Hopefully more funding will follow but the message is as clear as it gets and comes straight from the top.

mariovitali, Forbin, Ravn and 32 others like this.
  4. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you very much @rvallee for live-messaging everything they’re saying (don’t have energy to follow all).

Ravn, MSEsperanza, Ebb Tide and 21 others like this.
  5. rvallee

That's all, folks!

6. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @rvalee....you always say exactly what u think so I'm delighted that you are impressed...you don't give praise unless it's well justified!!

Ravn, MSEsperanza, Ebb Tide and 15 others like this.
  7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, the health minister clearly gets it and researchers that spoke too. The patient was great too!

Simon M, Ravn, MSEsperanza and 16 others like this.
  8. rvallee

So now to spend a few days writing thank you letters.

If anyone wants to do the same:

Ginette Petitpas-Taylor, federal minister of health: Ginette.PetitpasTaylor@parl.gc.ca and @GinettePT on Twitter

Dr Karim Khan, IMHA Scientific Director: Karim.Khan@cihr-irsc.gc.ca and @KarimKhan_IMHA on Twitter
    Obviously Dr Moreau, who is well aware of how important this is, but I don't think there can be too many thanks: alain.moreau@recherche-ste-justine.qc.ca.

A few others spoke but I didn't catch everyone's name and role. I will also be writing the federal MP for Outremont (where Ste-Justine is) who was present as it's always appreciated, no matter how small a role.

mariovitali, Ravn, Cohen and 24 others like this.
  9. rvallee

I would definitely have liked a more significant budget but the messaging was definitely there and it seems sincere. I'm well aware of how much resistance there is to the very idea that this is a problem worth solving so that has to be taken into account. The messaging was not toned down and that counts for something.

Ravn, MSEsperanza, Ebb Tide and 22 others like this.
  10. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our health minister’s official twitter account is @CDNminHealth and it would be preferable to use this account.

ScottTriGuy, Simone, Louie41 and 4 others like this.
  11. rvallee

From discussions with the research nurse when I went to Ste-Justine for the cuff test, all of Moreau's funding was from private donations. I don't know much of an increase that makes, however.

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well done and thanks to all who contributed which helped pave the way for this.

Thanks also to those involved in activism regarding the research budget/similar.

Simon M, Ravn, Cohen and 18 others like this.
  13. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow this is so amazing. I don’t know the history of Canadian M.E politics. But as far as I knew it used to be as bad as the UK? Can anyone tell me how there’s been such a big turnaround and what led them to this point?

I hope we can expect something like this from the UK

Samuel, MSEsperanza, Sarah94 and 9 others like this.
  14. Milo

The funding announced is to commence the important work for building a research collaborative and building research capacity. 1.4 million$ is something to get us started. The Canadian health minister publicly recognizing ME and acknowledging patients are suffering is an important first step. Getting an ally in Dr Karim Khan the director of the research institute where ME is housed is also an important stepping stone. This is the foundation building of a research program in Canada.

Very exciting times!

Ravn, Cohen, MSEsperanza and 24 others like this.
  15. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The unambiguous official recognition is probably worth a lot more than $1.4 million because it makes further gains in various areas easier to achieve.

Forbin, Ravn, MSEsperanza and 25 others like this.
  16. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The moving personal account of living with ME came from Christiane Garcia of @Action CIND

I am immensely grateful to all who worked toward this moment. I hope that this momentum continues with more initiatives.

Ravn, Samuel, Cohen and 20 others like this.
  17. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does any one know if this is likely to show up on YouTube or elsewhere? The high data rate of uncompressed streaming made it impossible to watch on my slow internet hookup . It also didn't help that I took Spanish in high school... and German in college. :))

18. Milo

Cohen, MSEsperanza, Barry and 8 others like this.
  19. Chris

Chris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As @rvallee already noted Dr Khan’s words on « time to take the insult out of the injury » were all so welcome, and his tone felt so sincere and genuine. Bravo and thank you Dr Khan! (and of course to everyone else who is contributing to this)

Simon M, Forbin, Ravn and 20 others like this.
  20. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @rvallee for your play by play.

We have all, wherever we live contributed to this day. From the small group who worked intensely on this specific achievement, to all long time activists, to any who have ever messaged, or told anyone about this horrific, neglected
    disease, we have contributed to this bright day!

Cheesus, Forbin, Ravn and 26 others like this.