1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: 'Summary so far of "Something in the blood"' by Simon McGrath

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Simon M, Apr 19, 2019.

1. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The heat shock proteins help fold proteins,I think I saw some older studies saying those with M.E were low in heat shock proteins

Amw66 likes this.
  2. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Add another "Something in the blood" experiment from Alain Moreau. In his presentation at the Stanford Symposium Alain Moreau described using Jurkat cells (Jurkat cells are an immortalized line of human T lymphocyte cells, I'm guessing you purchase them from a supplier???) with healthy and ME/CFS plasma and measured the cellular impedance using a CellKey instrument at different plasma concentrations. Higher concentrations of ME/CFS plasma caused a higher increase in cellular impedance. [Graphs are Control, ME, Scoliosis]
    MoreauJurkat.JPG
    It wasn't clear to me what patient subgroup the above chart is representative of.

He did show this response for all 5 subgroups which shows a lot of variation. This is the full slide
    MoreauJurkat2.JPG

The bottom right shows all 5 subgroups + CTRL. Seems quite messy, so not sure what it is showing. Cellular impedance is very much dependant on how the cells touch the sensors on the plate, and how many touch........ leads to lots of questions.

He then showed how Jurkat cells soaked in patient plasma by subgroup for 2 hours responded differently to agonists
    MoreauJurkat3.JPG

So to summarize he used a Jurkat cell line so all cells are from the same source and then mixed with patient plasma to produce a different cellular impedance response on his CellKey analyzer depending on plasma concentration and agonist applied.

{I hope I got that right)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

For those interested in this section of Moreau's talk, you can go straight to it by copy-and-pasting this URL
    Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/OpenMedicineFoundation/videos/487148525184381/?t=8243

wigglethemouse, ahimsa, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @wigglethemouse and @Andy. I'm not following those two slides of the response of the Jurket cells to plasma of various dilutions. The bar chart shows the impedance of cells sitting in control plasma at a 1:2 dilution is around 25, with the impedance of cells sitting in ME plasma at the same dilution higher - around 45. And there's a nice steady increase in impedance with increasing concentrations of ME plasma. So it looks like there really is something there.

But the coloured line chart to the right doesn't have that increase with increasing dose in any of the ME subsets. And there are two ME subsets with higher values and three ME subsets with lower values than the control. There's no way that subset data can be combined to produce an overall increasing impedance with concentration of ME plasma.

What are we to make of that?
    Yes.

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This thread ends in 2019. Have any of these findings been replicated?