1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog Psychology today: Differentiating Fibromyalgia, Depression, and CFS

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...fferentiating-fibromyalgia-depression-and-cfs

I didn't read any further because if they still haven't got to grips with the diagnostic criteria.......

2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I remember, they seem to generally or -always?- use “unexplained” at the “muscle and joint pain” bit. But not usually for the others.

This is an illness of unknown aetiology, so either all main symptoms are unexplained or all are explained sufficiently -to be on the list without this qualification- by being symptoms of this illness?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That is an astonishingly superficial, ignorant and just plain wrong article. I don't know why I go on being shocked at the low level of knowledge and lack of curiosity to dig properly into a topic of people writing articles like this.

Mind you, I should have guessed it would be like this from the way the author chooses to introduce herself at the top of the article:
    Kristen Fuller, M.D.
    Happiness Is a State of Mind

If you click on the link it takes you to a whole series of no doubt equally superficial articles and says:
    Kristen Fuller, M.D., is a physician and a clinical mental health writer for Center For Discovery.

4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

S

Could be she dropped out of medicine to take on this junk writing gig. So superficial and false.

Milo, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  5. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since when is ‘decreased libido’ part of the features of ‘me/cfs’.

it just looks like she tried but failed to make a salad with words and called it a day.

alktipping, Ash, NelliePledge and 5 others like this.
  6. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Wow, her "happiness is a state of mind" really is telling.
    Social and biological factors are just nothing, your depression is due to poor choices and is all your fault.

alktipping, Ash, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Self styled ‘successful clinical writer in the mental health realm’ :whistle:

Cheshire, Missense, Sean and 5 others like this.
  8. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunate head injury, left the practice of medicine, re-fashioning her career? Only a supposition. A fictional attempt at explaining the ass content.

I wish (for 2022) among other things, to not read the word "depression" in the same sentence with FM or ME/CFS.

Is it too much to ask? That would put me in better mood.

Wyva, Missense, alktipping and 3 others like this.