1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Blog] BACME, NHS ME/CFS clinics shift from deconditioning to dysregulation model of ME/CFS in anticipation of updated NICE Guideline

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by InitialConditions, Aug 8, 2021.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

lol imagine my surprise :D

cfsandmore, Helene, Missense and 6 others like this.
  2. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is what I was told to do. In order to avoid PEM I shouldn't do lots of things even if I felt like I could without sufficient pacing and I should use a step monitor to help understand my limits.

cfsandmore, Michelle, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My limits do not closely match what my step counter says - possibly I need a new step counter?

Some days 400 steps is way, way too much, and on others 4000 seems fine, although more is possible, that's an arbitrary line based on nothing but how I feel a couple of days later.

Most days I hover between 1 and 2000, mainly used up in trips to the bathroom, or so it feels like. At this some days I am worse, others I am not, and rarely I improve a little.

As counting steps is it, this must mean that either am am using the wrong sort of steps, or that my step counter is faulty and needs replacing with one that knows what it is doing, that understands the behavioural psychology of steps.

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, Simbindi and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely nothing to do with any criticisms of the PACE trial :rofl:

Also, when did she stop being the Chair of BACME? Presumably this role was relevant to her selection to the NICE GDC at the time it was formed?

Peter Trewhitt and livinglighter like this.
  6. JemPD

Sure, but I meant that specifically in regards to the major uplift caused by anxiety/anger>adrenaline surge though, not the general better days in terms of pacing. I was meaning specifically to dispute the notion that sympathetic nervous system activation leads to symptoms. It doesnt - not for me anyway, it leads to me feeling a lot better. It's only if i 'believe' i am a lot better & do a lot more than i am normally able to (even on a good day) because the adrenaline has made me feel soooo much better... it's only then that i get worse symptoms - as a result of the activity - which would be the same regardless of whether i was full of adrenaline when i did it. ie its not the adrenaline/activation that caused the symptoms its the activity.

Murphy in the video claims that sympathetic nervous system activation (ie not related to extra activity but on its own) triggers cytokines which cause symptoms. It doesnt happen. Or at least not for me anyway.
    They reckon this is part of the problem in LP as well i think 'too much adrenaline', i've always thought that was nonsense, how can it be that if adrenaline makes you feel better, & as long as you let it wear off without overdoing it, no more symptoms will ensue.

cfsandmore, Helene, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  7. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that adrenalin can tempt one to do too much, and so get PEM.

But the emotional response to a distressing situation, even without activity, can also cause a PEM response. I’m assuming it is the extra brain exertion processing the situation, but the PEM can happen even without the physical activity.

Also it’s possible to be quietly active, ie without adrenalin, and that too produces PEM.

What a weird disease we have. :p

8. JemPD

Sure,
    yes.

What i was meaning was the kind of 'chronic activation' that she's talking about - ie activation of the sympathetic nervous system without the prerequisite distressing situation.
    Very upsetting situations are hugely demanding -which is extra activity.

But Murphy as i understand from her explanation, was trying to say that merely that aspect of the dysregulation - ie the SNS being activated, can bring about immune symptoms on it's own & threfore that is what is giving us swollen glands etc.

What i was saying is that i can have swollen glands after activity when very calm & relaxed before during & after it, and have no such symptoms after a massive adrenaline surge as long as i dont overdo the activity due to the surge.
    So SNS activation on its own, cannot be what is causing the immune activation-like symptoms (flu-like etc)

cfsandmore, Helene, Missense and 7 others like this.
  9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too. But the more adrenaline, it always seems the worse the PEM!

So spending about half an hour swimming 1.5k, which doesn't involve much (if any) adrenaline, can leave me in less severe PEM than spending about half an hour sitting down talking to a friend whose conversation makes me laugh a lot.

Yup!

10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not aware of any suggestion that sympathetic activation normally induces cytokine release.
    And there isn't any cytokine release in ME as far as I know.
    So it doesn't seem to have much going for it.

11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When the adrenaline has kicked in, do you the find your energy ceiling seems to have in increased? Or does it still hit you at the same point? Just wondering if this would give any hints as to whether it is the energy availability to cells itself that is ultimately awry, or if is the perception of energy ceiling that is changing.

Helene, Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But isn't if fascinating that now we are suddenly discussing very positive things like more meaningful research etc, now we know a sensible guideline is just around the corner and makes it much more likely.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    cfsandmore, Helene, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  13. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In me, the ceiling disappears altogether. For a while.

It's never seemed to me that our cells can't make energy; more that they're being told not to. With adrenaline that lid gets knocked off temporarily, because it's an emergency (even though it usually isn't a real emergency).

cfsandmore, Helene, Missense and 2 others like this.
  14. JemPD

Im confused, does laughing activate your fight/flight response then? It makes me calm down. I was under the impression laughter reduced adrenaline not raised it? How to laugh away stress | Nature perhaps im wrong/confused?

Just to be clear that was Murphy saying that, not me.... i thought it sounded a bit pseudoscience. But the trouble is it sounds so plausible to a lot of people.... 'oh so the symptoms are real' but if we can just show them they're getting worked up over nothing & get them to meditate & do more, they'll get better':rolleyes:

yes exactly that fits for me.

cfsandmore, Helene, Missense and 4 others like this.
  15. JemPD

What's interesting though is that i'm not sure how the adrenaline effect works in people who are very severe?
    I know for them just the increased heart rate caused by being angry can trigger PEM on its own, so perhaps the adrenaline thing doesnt have the same effect.

16. livinglighter

I never bothered with it myself as an active parent I wasn’t willing to stop doing most things.

Based on what was said, if 400 steps is at times way too much then 400 steps is always too much as you need to stay under the level of activity that provokes symptoms. I’ve read a few BACME guides and I’m sure it says somewhere your baseline is how much you can do on your worst day.

So based on the model shown and the physio’s ‘dysregulation’ explanation of physiological responses, it seems to be the only way I’ve been able to receive community care support. Without that explanation I don’t think I would of got anything.

Edited: to add the dysregulation model has enabled me to access community care.

Peter Trewhitt and JemPD like this.
  17. JemPD

yes. I mean i've done things when adrenalined up through anger & fear & i mean terror, that i would never be able to do normally. But man the abrupt & severe crash afterwards.

Its like there is a moment, a space of a few minutes when it either wears off, or just stops working, and there is such a rush of symptoms, especially all over body pain/burning, nausea etc, abrupt weakness & that is like a tsunami, its 'orrible.

I also get the sense that when i have overdone it just in a normal way (ie not after sympathetic activation, when i have overdone it so much that the body itself initiates an emergency response - like a physically mediated adrenaline surge rather than an emotionally mediated one. Sorry i know both are 'physical' i cant think of how else to describe it.

cfsandmore, Helene and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A problem with that is training;

I have simply been unable to train the toilet to come to me, or sandwiches (let alone more complex forms of food).;)

Helene, Missense, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  19. livinglighter

Exactly, and that’s when I started requesting community care supporting letters based on their model.

20. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find this discussion very interesting : the concept of dysregulation and its possible or devious implications, "plug in " pwme to device over a long period to accumulate as much data as possible, the importance of a wise choice for the research team, the need to take into account the pwme experience to 'turn the minds on" to give an overview of possible tracks in order to verify their veracity.

I would just like to clarify something about the adrenaline "surge" (I have POTS and I have no doubt that it is an adrenergic type): for me, it's a very unpleasant feeling. It's like being on high alert, the impression of having energy,
    and at the same time very exhausted. It's an experience comprising 2 antagonistic sensations. I still feel my physical pain, although less, and the noise makes it always difficult to concentrate. I am, for example, immensely happy to see relatives at a party and to discuss with them, but at the same time the general feeling, my physical pain makes the whole thing painful. Obviously, with this kind of effort, I end up paying dearly (PEM).

In short, like many, I imagine the PEM cycle as if I were an old rechargeable battery. I have what, 40% of available energy? It is as if the cognitive and physical efforts accumulate over the day, and the days, and then boom !, something trigger PEM.

PS: I too wonder if the question of the blood supply that requires an effort would not be an interesting avenue.

* Edit: to clarify