1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

General news about Fabricated and Induced Illness syndrome (FFI)

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by JohnTheJack, May 5, 2019.

1. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Programme on fabricated or induced illness (FII) on at 11:00 am UK time. Will be on website and app after broadcast.

Trailer suggests includes reference to children with ME.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00050jw

Simbindi, Cheshire, Chezboo and 18 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

lycaena, MeSci, Barry and 12 others like this.
  3. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Suffolk parents are working with Fightback.

Barry, MEMarge, MSEsperanza and 8 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They replayed some of the interview with Dr Glaser (from previous programme)
    see https://www.s4me.info/threads/on-bb...-daughter-talking-about-fii.8523/#post-149504

ME comes up around 11.20 (interviewer says ME makes 'children who have it feel extremely lethargic')
    11.26 MJW of AfME she says that ME is now highlighted by social services as a possible red flag for FII.
    11.37 story as per the BBC article posted above by @chrisb (interview with the mother).

eta: Carol Monaghan on at 11.53

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Barry, Trish, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  5. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this whole thing makes me fuming. i don't know if I'll make it through the whole show without punching something.

6. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found this incredibly moving and concerning. The sheer number of cases and the motivation to blame parents to cover up misdiagnosis or incompetence.

The account of the person who had their two sons taken into adoption is just shocking.

The part about the fallout where the affected child loses confidence in teachers and doctors also struck a chord with my childhood experiences.

I’m so glad we have people like carol Monaghan on our side (hope she keeps her seat) and even AFME were very clear and direct (makes a change).

Well worth a listen...but probably not if you are feeling particularly angry already.

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    TiredSam, Trish and MEMarge like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mentioning ME in this context would definitely go against the narrative and lead to many nasty phone calls. It's a start, though.

MEMarge, Nellie, Chezboo and 3 others like this.
  9. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This felt like a major upgrade from the first programme. The initial one was more a questioning exercise to see if false accusations of FII are a problem, looking at both sides of the issue. This episode was very much saying that it is a problem that increasing numbers of people are concerned about and needs an inquiry. The numbers of families who contacted the BBC after the first one tells a very big story.

Would there be disciplinary consequences for the doctor who categorically stated there was no evidence of anyone else seeing the little girl's symptoms which was then proven to be untrue?

10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably there are supposed to be checks and balances in place, but they are clearly useless. Something seems truly rotten in this area of the NHS, and it needs thoroughly sorting. In any other area of society where such orchestrated abuse of parents and their children were found, long prison could be expected. What the hell is going on?!

Annamaria, MEMarge, JemPD and 6 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It is genuinely astounding and terrifying that this abuse has continued unabated for at least 3 decades, and shows no sign of stopping in the near future.

Something is indeed truly rotten at the heart of governance in the UK.

Annamaria, MEMarge, JemPD and 10 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would love to concur Barry, but given the prolonged feet dragging re more than one paedophile enquiry it would seem children and the establishment are not a match made in heaven in the UK
    Power is a very asymmetric construct as manifest here .

Annamaria, MEMarge, JemPD and 7 others like this.
  13. Amw66

14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The trouble with growth industries is that they introduce all sorts of potential conflicts of interest. Is the representation of the child properly independent and fearless in acting in the objective interests of the child, properly considering balance of risk, or is it influenced by scoring brownie points with the people who control future cases, and the income stream which might be produced?

Subtropical Island, MEMarge and JemPD like this.
  15. Amw66

Sadly in many spheres, assessment is reduced to tick boxes with little room for interpretation. Lack of knowledge can also be significant.
    Check out Coynes blogpost on ACEs to get a feel for how bad things are. There is currently huge investment in ACEs .

MEMarge and chrisb like this.
  16. NelliePledge

The problem
    what is an ACE

MEMarge likes this.
  17. fivetowns

fivetowns Established Member (Voting Rights)

Adverse Childhood Experience

MEMarge likes this.
  18. NelliePledge

Ok thanks

MEMarge likes this.
  19. Amw66

20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)